Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 14 Jun 2019, 09:50 (Ref:3910048)   #1
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Aston Martin Hypercar Discussion

https://media.astonmartin.com/aston-...ry-at-le-mans/

Following the announcement of the Automobile Club de l’Ouest’s decision to introduce hypercars to the top category of the FIA World Endurance Championship (WEC), Aston Martin will field a minimum of two works Aston Martin Valkyrie hypercars, specially-developed for the 2020/21 FIA WEC season, including the 2021 24 Hours of Le Mans.
Old 14 Jun 2019, 09:52 (Ref:3910051)   #2
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Some more info here:

https://www.autosport.com/wec/news/1...-new-wec-rules

* Adrian Newey and Red Bull Technologies will be involved
* Palmer can't confirm if it is a hybrid or not
Old 14 Jun 2019, 10:00 (Ref:3910054)   #3
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
Some more info here:

Considering the road car is a hybrid, wouldnt it be a marketing own goal not to have SOME FORM of hybrid in the LM car? Even if it is a mild mild mild hybrid

Most fans wouldnt be particularly bothered what level of hybrid it is anyway
Old 14 Jun 2019, 10:14 (Ref:3910060)   #4
Speedblood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Home counties or a racetrack.
Speedblood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSpeedblood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Regardless of the Hybrid, let's cut to the main point.

A big 6.5 V12 in the top class making a tremendous noise!
Old 14 Jun 2019, 13:13 (Ref:3910120)   #5
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Look forward to the engine sound for sure. Any chance it will be like the Aston Martin LMP1 from a decade ago?

I wonder if it will be daiglow yellow or green livery too?
Old 14 Jun 2019, 13:16 (Ref:3910122)   #6
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcarr6 View Post
Considering the road car is a hybrid, wouldnt it be a marketing own goal not to have SOME FORM of hybrid in the LM car? Even if it is a mild mild mild hybrid

Most fans wouldnt be particularly bothered what level of hybrid it is anyway
But putting hybrid into it would seriously jeopardize the yearly AMR budget goal of 1 million dollars (insert Dr Evil face)
Old 14 Jun 2019, 15:54 (Ref:3910173)   #7
DistortedSmile
Racer

Spain
DistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
Some more info here:

They also want to sell customer cars:

https://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/...ercar-program/
Old 14 Jun 2019, 17:16 (Ref:3910180)   #8
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistortedSmile View Post
They also want to sell customer cars:

https://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/...ercar-program/

DSC saying they expect factory effort run by Multimatic, and a possible customer programme by R-Motorsport
Old 14 Jun 2019, 20:18 (Ref:3910212)   #9
deggis
Veteran

Finland
I find it funny that all this talk about death of naturally aspirated engines and generally the looming death of ICE and then... this 6.5L V12.

It is definitely going to feel like a last hurrah for such engines.
Old 14 Jun 2019, 22:05 (Ref:3910228)   #10
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Surprised by the engine!
Old 15 Jun 2019, 00:30 (Ref:3910250)   #11
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This car gives me a lot of emosion, it is really beautiful and its V12 will be just fantastic !!!
I love the new rules, and the BOP does not matter to me if it brings us back GT1 / GTP cars and V12 engines.
Old 15 Jun 2019, 03:01 (Ref:3910266)   #12
deggis
Veteran

Finland
(https://www.autosport.com/wec/news/1...-goliath-clash)

Old 15 Jun 2019, 19:59 (Ref:3911073)   #13
Bcarr6
Veteran

I don’t care what anyone says of the rule set, seeing this car with that engine hammer round Le Mans is going to be fantastic
Old 16 Jun 2019, 14:17 (Ref:3912190)   #14
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Something to get new blood back into LMP1 should be considered a good thing. I'm not 100% on board with some of the quirks of the rules, but with cars like this, who cares right now?

And just when we thought that V12s were dead. AMR and Cosworth to the rescue.
Old 16 Jun 2019, 19:38 (Ref:3912252)   #15
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
A poster brought up a good point in the "what is Aston Martin up to" thread;

He said that the Valkyrie was supposed to be able to beat an F1 around the track, at least that was one of the original claims. I didn't believe that. But then there was talk that the AMR PRO could beat the 919 EVO's time around the Nurburgring.

When you hear these things and then read up that the rules were dumbed down and the cars slowed with weight added (1100kg) at Aston Martin's request or whatever, it makes me question how good the Valkyrie really is or if the claims are just bogus PR. I'll believe them if they take the AMR Pro to the 'Ring and do a 5:20. It just makes me question these things about the car being so awesome that it needed the ACO to increase the weight by over 200kg from the current lmp1s. The engine isn't that heavy!
Old 16 Jun 2019, 19:56 (Ref:3912257)   #16
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Actually, the stock Valkyrie weighs nearly 1100kg.
Old 16 Jun 2019, 20:41 (Ref:3912276)   #17
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Actually, the stock Valkyrie weighs nearly 1100kg.
I know, and that's the point. They seemingly want as little work to do as possible. We'll see but from what we know so far that's how it appears.
Old 16 Jun 2019, 21:04 (Ref:3912286)   #18
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
Sergiev Posad, Moscow Region, Russian Fe
helgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
How are they going to "balance" that aero?
Old 16 Jun 2019, 21:35 (Ref:3912295)   #19
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by helgi View Post

well it's an already almost impossible task to balance NA and turbo engines, balance aero will be quite unlikely. BTW, don't think that amr will bring a valkirye chassis to race... to me multimatic will build a lmp like carbon tub fitted with the V12 and will build a valkirye like bodywork around
Old 16 Jun 2019, 22:00 (Ref:3912300)   #20
TF110
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by canaglia View Post
well it's an already almost impossible task to balance NA and turbo engines, balance aero will be quite unlikely. BTW, don't think that amr will bring a valkirye chassis to race... to me multimatic will build a lmp like carbon tub fitted with the V12 and will build a valkirye like bodywork around
Then it's only a Valkyrie in name with a detuned version of the 'same' engine powering the road car. I don't know if that's the case here. Seems they want to bring the actual VALKYRIE to Le Mans, not a prototype with a look-alike bodykit.
Old 16 Jun 2019, 22:15 (Ref:3912304)   #21
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
Well, the Valkyrie is basically sort of like what the ACO/FIA envision Hypercar being. So in that way, I can't really blame Aston Martin for wanting to give the car a place to race. It's more LMP for the road than F1 car for the road IMO, anyways.
Old 16 Jun 2019, 23:59 (Ref:3912327)   #22
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by helgi View Post
Meet BoP.
Old 17 Jun 2019, 13:21 (Ref:3912426)   #23
GingerPixel
Racer

GingerPixel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGingerPixel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by canaglia View Post
Forgive my potential ignorance, but doesn't this go against the point of the whole thing being road car based?
Old 17 Jun 2019, 18:59 (Ref:3912499)   #24
TF110
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerPixel View Post
Forgive my potential ignorance, but doesn't this go against the point of the whole thing being road car based?
That's what I was thinking in my last post. If that's the case, then the Valkyrie isn't all that different in race spec. If it's 1100kg in race trim, then there's basically no difference in terms of weight from what the road car is. The regs are tailored to them because they wanted to enter this thing. So with that in mind, there's your reason of the relatively high weight.
Old 17 Jun 2019, 19:33 (Ref:3912510)   #25
GasperG
Veteran

Slovenia
GasperG has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
How much does the Rimac KERS system weight? It's suprising they don't know if they will run hybrid or not.