Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 17 Aug 2004, 06:17 (Ref:1068887)   #1
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Disaster

I'm gutted...one of my microdrives went t**s up at Silverstone this weekend half way through Saturday losing me a day and a half of shots BUT not content with slapping me in the face just the once the gods in their wisdom decided that wasnt enough and decided to fry my PC when my son switched it on Monday morning...pretty much everything I have shot over the last year looks like it may be lost (apart from my remaining LMES shots on my fortunately yet to be formatted surviving microdrive)
bang goes the new lens I was going to buy...pass the pipe and slippers I think the bowls greens beckon
Old 17 Aug 2004, 06:29 (Ref:1068890)   #2
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Bad luck Paul. Sorry to hear that mate.
The moral of the story is to back everything up on CD in the future?
Same thing happened to me, a lightning strike hit a telegraph pole about 300 yds away, went down the phone lines and melted everyone's PC's within the area.
Old 17 Aug 2004, 06:40 (Ref:1068898)   #3
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As it always comes in threes I'm walking round constantly looking over my shoulder at the moment
Old 17 Aug 2004, 07:29 (Ref:1068926)   #4
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Be careful how you drive today then!

Sorry hear the totallity of your bad luck!
Old 17 Aug 2004, 08:27 (Ref:1068979)   #5
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Snapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sorry about your bad news Paul-think I'll spend today putting stuff onto cd!
Old 17 Aug 2004, 08:50 (Ref:1069004)   #6
Mark Barton
Rookie

Mark Barton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Terrible luck Paul Is nothing from the PC salvageable? You'd be amazed what can be recovered even from badly damaged disks. Hope you can get at least some of it back...
Old 17 Aug 2004, 09:15 (Ref:1069029)   #7
Mark Barton
Rookie

Mark Barton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A quick Google for Hard Disk Recovery will get you a bunch of options Paul - you may even find somewhere that can help with your microdrive. Not sure what the prices are like, but it can be done.
Old 17 Aug 2004, 09:24 (Ref:1069041)   #8
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
CD's dont last apparently...you can store it away and a year later it could be unreadable
I'm looking at getting a 200gb external usb connectable external hard-drive and also really clearing out some of the cr*p thats lying about
Dunno what the gig with the pc is yet it's in surgery at the moment
Fortunately I've managed to get some lmes stuff off so I'm not as devastated as I could be..I'm reconciled to it being a life lesson to be honest, new beginning and all that
Old 17 Aug 2004, 10:18 (Ref:1069080)   #9
neil_davidson2
TT Photo Of The Year Winner - 2009 & 2010
Veteran

England
Swindon, UK
neil_davidson2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridneil_davidson2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry to hear that Paul, I hope you manage to recover at least something back from the wreckage.
Old 17 Aug 2004, 10:39 (Ref:1069102)   #10
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
fingers crossed there is a pulse...no there yet but at least the files can be accessed
microdrive still dead though
think I'll get drunk
Old 17 Aug 2004, 12:27 (Ref:1069237)   #11
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
What's up with your PC? It is unusual for the hard drive to fail, are you sure it isnt something else, if so you could fit the hd into another pc and get your work back.
Good luck
Old 17 Aug 2004, 12:36 (Ref:1069245)   #12
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by PaulSands
CD's dont last apparently...you can store it away and a year later it could be unreadable

Says who?
Old 17 Aug 2004, 13:01 (Ref:1069264)   #13
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
one of my colleagues...he has had cds of stuff that he's gone back to a year later and they've been unreadable, I have suffered a little bit from that myself with mp3's I've archived but put that down to them suffering during shipping between the US & UK
Old 17 Aug 2004, 13:16 (Ref:1069279)   #14
Snapperjack
Racer

Snapperjack should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
cd life - forum link/details.

forum link
Old 17 Aug 2004, 13:56 (Ref:1069323)   #15
gi_gav
Veteran

Scotland
gi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Really bad luck Paul.

I'm due to get a new PC in about a week as mine is currently absolutely maxed out. Now you've got me worried and it can't come soon enough!

CD-Rs are being slated for poor reliability, but CD-RWs are apparently much better given that the use a metallic compound as the writing medium as opposed to the ink that CD-Rs use (which fades, causing data loss)

Might also be worth considering DVD-Rs as well, good ones are made by Datasafe (try www.burnmedia.co.uk)

Here's a good link to a discussion of archiving:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tu.../hd-back.shtml

Better luck in the future!
Old 17 Aug 2004, 13:59 (Ref:1069327)   #16
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gav, thanks for the links about CD's, I store alot on them as archives (perhaps this is a side topic)

Paul, good to finally meet you over the weekend!
Old 17 Aug 2004, 14:03 (Ref:1069332)   #17
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Snapperjack
cd life - forum link/details.
Hmmm. You learn something every day eh?

Moisture indeed? I must stop taking mine in the shower with me.......

Last edited by Aysedasi; 17 Aug 2004 at 14:06.
Old 17 Aug 2004, 14:04 (Ref:1069334)   #18
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by gi_gav

CD-Rs are being slated for poor reliability, but CD-RWs are apparently much better given that the use a metallic compound as the writing medium as opposed to the ink that CD-Rs use (which fades, causing data loss)

Sorry, but where is this ink? Already built into the CD-R?
Old 17 Aug 2004, 15:38 (Ref:1069431)   #19
Elio
Veteran

Elio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Paul,

I use Mitsui (American name) / MAM-E (European name) Gold CDRs for back up. They seem to be the choice of many for long-life archivals - museums and the like seem to go for them. They`re not that cheap but I work on the principal that you gets what you pay for. Try www.stanleysonline.co.uk - I buy a batch in bulk at the start of every season.

I also use USB hard drives - had a couple of Western Digital drives for over a year and they`ve been fine.
Old 17 Aug 2004, 18:15 (Ref:1069578)   #20
mcurtis26
Veteran

mcurtis26 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Paul, i would use a firewire external hard disk, they have a much faster data transfer rate than usb 2.0 drives. You need to put a firewire card in your pc, but they're only about a fiver. A good firewire drive would probably be 150 upwards, Lacey make the best ones. Also worth getting your hard disk checked on another machine, it may just be the power unit and cpu that have gone,hard disks tend to be much more resilient than pcu cards as they are less vulnerable to static. USB memory sticks are good as well, but capacity is relatively small.
Old 17 Aug 2004, 19:35 (Ref:1069691)   #21
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I very nearly had a disaster - child knocked my camera out of my hand. It threw an error and the zoom sounded aweful but it seems to have recovered (crossing fingers and toes). The proof will be at Brands
Old 17 Aug 2004, 19:47 (Ref:1069707)   #22
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
Ha I lost and HP850 that way at Mallory last year...I couldnt just drop it I had to juggle it first so it gained altitude and redirection onto the hardest rock around
at least the insurance covered that one

mcurtis26 & elio I was thinking something along those lines...I'll check out your suggestions, thanks
Old 18 Aug 2004, 03:04 (Ref:1070048)   #23
vwpilot
Racer

vwpilot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That sucks man, sorry. But you gotta backup your backups.

I have everything burned to CDs, then I backup those to DVD and on top of that, everything is also on external FW hard drive.
Old 18 Aug 2004, 06:16 (Ref:1070115)   #24
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
makes you kinda hanker for slides doesn't it
Old 18 Aug 2004, 23:28 (Ref:1070991)   #25
MolsonBoy
Racer

MolsonBoy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Disaster

Quote:
Originally posted by PaulSands
I'm gutted...one of my microdrives went t**s up at Silverstone this weekend half way through Saturday losing me a day and a half of shots...
Paul I came across this link today.Photorescue

They say:
Quote:
Download our risk free evaluation version of PhotoRescue Expert. It is safe as it does not write to the damaged or erased media and will show you accurate and reliable previews of what is recoverable. We recommend Windows 2000, Windows XP or Mac OS X for optimal performance.
Give it a try.