Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 3 Aug 2004, 20:20 (Ref:1055516)   #1
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tora Takagi, What Happened?

Tora Takagi, started out like a ball of fire this season, and looked like a threat to win some races, but he has since fallen off the radar screen. His one time student, Matsurra, has overtaken him now, and is making Tora look like the rookie.

So what happened? The car seemed to be fine, early on, as he took 4th at Homestead, 8th in Phoenix, and 10th at Motegi. But in the rest of the races, he has only one other top 10 finish, at Texas, where he finished 10th.

How much longer does Takagi have?
Old 3 Aug 2004, 20:22 (Ref:1055518)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The crash in qualifying at Motegi seemed to sap his confidence - and the team don't seem to have a handle on the setups needed with the new 3l engines.

He'll definitely see out the season but I don't know if he'll be back next year.
Old 3 Aug 2004, 21:05 (Ref:1055561)   #3
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Wonder how much of Mo Nunn's money is tied to Takagi???

and if he is gone, where does that leave Mo Nunn???

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 3 Aug 2004, 21:10 (Ref:1055567)   #4
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was wondering if there was a money tie-in myself.

If there weren't, than I think Tora would be gone already...

But good point KB, about the team not doing well since the introduction of the 3.0ltr engine. That could have something to do with things.

Danica Patrick
Old 3 Aug 2004, 21:10 (Ref:1055568)   #5
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think Takagi is bringing the money - Mo is carrying the same sponsors as he had in the past with Kanaan and Zanardi - it's just that Toyota like Tora.
Old 3 Aug 2004, 21:15 (Ref:1055572)   #6
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I belive that it's Pioneer's Japan division that's the sponsor too...
Old 3 Aug 2004, 21:56 (Ref:1055608)   #7
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
it's just that Toyota like Tora.
Thats got to be troubling for Mo, to be strapped with a driver that isn't doing well, that doesn't speak much English, which means little feedback for set-up and the like, and from what I've heard, has no real repore with the team.
Old 3 Aug 2004, 21:58 (Ref:1055610)   #8
Kicking-back
Veteran

Takagi is a strange one.

Peerless in Formula Nippon - but the same problems as you mention in F1, Champ Car and IRL.
Old 4 Aug 2004, 03:37 (Ref:1055759)   #9
brightline
Racer

United States
Temple Terrace, FL
brightline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I don't think Takagi is bringing the money - Mo is carrying the same sponsors as he had in the past with Kanaan and Zanardi - it's just that Toyota like Tora.
While the Mo Nunn car is carrying Pioneer colors in the same paint scheme, I believe it is the Japanese division that sponsors Takagi now, while when Kanaan and Zanardi raced in CART that was the American Pioneer division now associated with Rahal. Takagi also had Pioneer colors with Walker at the same time in CART. Same name different dollar/yen source. Although, I could be wrong.
Old 4 Aug 2004, 05:50 (Ref:1055782)   #10
evo
Veteran

Canada
Medicine Hat
evo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, the American Pioneer sponsors Rahal-Letterman
Old 4 Aug 2004, 11:06 (Ref:1056005)   #11
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Maybe Nippon is a much lower standard of racing, and he simply isn't good enough for anything higher? He didn't make good use of Toyota power last year, and hasn'r recovered from Motegi. If Mo can get another fundng source for another driver, I'd rather see him get the focus, perhaps keeping Tora on for Toytoa's sake.
Old 4 Aug 2004, 16:02 (Ref:1056270)   #12
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
In another thread where we talked about Sharp and Carpenter, I raised the same point about Takagi's dropoff and the tie to the 3.0 L engine coming about....and also his inability to communicate with his engineers....

You can't fix a bad set-up if the driver isn't giving you enough info that you can translate into changes to the car...

Indy really illustrated this when Simmons jumped into a second car and in short order was faster than Takagi had been all month long...

Why???

Simmons gave the team feedback so they could tune the set-up...

Old 4 Aug 2004, 17:07 (Ref:1056319)   #13
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
Tenoch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think you hit the nail right on the head there Tim, I myself a have been Studying Japanese for four years and everything is completely different. I feel that Tora has sort of gotten the vibe that the team seess as a token Japanese driver so maybe he himself isnt that motivated to perform on a team with such regards to him.
But Tora will always be one of my favorite drivers because he is the TIger!!

Last edited by Tenoch; 4 Aug 2004 at 17:08.
Old 4 Aug 2004, 17:19 (Ref:1056330)   #14
Kicking-back
Veteran

He's a bloody good driver though.

He could do with either a) a Japanese engineer or b) a team-mate
Old 4 Aug 2004, 17:25 (Ref:1056342)   #15
Team Owner
Racer

Team Owner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Tora got spooked somewhere along the line. The only time the team sees him is just before session or the race. He has virtually no contact with the team and that doesn't wash well with the mechanics.
Old 11 Aug 2004, 19:05 (Ref:1063233)   #16
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Didn't Tora have a wallbanger at Motegi???

He also had a hit or a minor incident at Indy in practice, if I remember correctly....

Anyone remember for sure???

That could be what has "spooked him"....

Because I do remember reading "Pit Notes" in the Star that made refereneces to Takagi's people saying that he wasn't keeping his foot into it going to the corners in May...

Old 11 Aug 2004, 19:13 (Ref:1063237)   #17
Kicking-back
Veteran

He did have a big crash in Motegi practice.
Old 11 Aug 2004, 19:30 (Ref:1063251)   #18
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Thanks, Kicking-back...I thought he did have a hard hit...

Old 11 Aug 2004, 20:24 (Ref:1063308)   #19
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
It's odd though, that most veteran drivers get over a hard hit, and just move on. It always amazed me how they are able to do that, but they just do. But it does seem that the hit at Motegi has ruined Takagi.

Really, there are other drivers that I would like to see get that seat. If Mo going to get to the sharp end of the field, he needs another driver.

Danica Patrick
Old 11 Aug 2004, 20:27 (Ref:1063310)   #20
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
I'd have to agree with you GP Racer....

As competitive as the IRL has become, you can't be spending the money they are spending to have a pilot in the seat who won't put his foot into it and drive it hard and fast...

But I don't know how dependent Mo Nunn Racing is on whatever $$$ are tied to Takagi...

He may be stuck between a rock and a hard place on this one...

Old 11 Aug 2004, 20:32 (Ref:1063312)   #21
Kicking-back
Veteran

Satoshi Motoyama might be worth a shot.
Old 11 Aug 2004, 20:41 (Ref:1063320)   #22
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
I'm thinking Roger Yasakawa. Where is he these days, and didn't he have Toyota ties?

Danica Patrick
Old 11 Aug 2004, 20:58 (Ref:1063337)   #23
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
He has Honda ties, so that won't happen. Motegi and Indy are all the racing he's likely to do this year.

Maybe Tora can rebuild his confidence over the winter, or by taking a break for a few races. Hopefully Pioneer Japan would allow them to have Simmons in the car for a while, or even fund a second car for him for a few races.
Old 11 Aug 2004, 21:02 (Ref:1063342)   #24
Kicking-back
Veteran

Yasukawa is American, not Japanese.
Old 11 Aug 2004, 21:26 (Ref:1063367)   #25
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Quote:
Yasukawa is American, not Japanese.
That I knew KB. Second generation Japanese though, so it would be the best of both worlds to me!

Good driver and nice guy. He would make a nice addition. I thought he had Toyota ties, but Boots corrected me...