Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 15 Apr 2009, 18:09 (Ref:2441606)   #26
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
Is Plato confirmed for this round?
Not yet, he'll need to find some sponsors first. Brands was run on a shoestring, he pretty much paid for it himself.
Old 15 Apr 2009, 22:24 (Ref:2441793)   #27
awrb
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
awrb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's great to see Thompson back in the series, I think we needed this. I hope Shedden can get out soon though, really hope it gets some backing. Still, I thought it was a bit strange Dynamics were showing loyalty to their drivers!

Any news on whether Hughes and O'Neill will be out at Thruxton, or if Tempus have got anyone lined up for their second car?
Old 15 Apr 2009, 23:58 (Ref:2441850)   #28
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I expect the RML Lacetti to be strong at Thruxton (if Plato is there) because of its amazing straight line speed.

Great to see Thommo back

Hopefully O'Neil will be there, didn't he miss Brands due to business?

Also, doesn't look like Tempus will be fielding a second car, but would it be valid to suspect Shedden as a potential driver?? After all, Thompson did do some testing with Tempus.
Old 16 Apr 2009, 08:25 (Ref:2442006)   #29
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm sure if Shedden had the money he would still be at Dynamics.

Steve Neal said it was due to "contractual commitments". I imagine the commitment that wasn't met was a nice cheque arriving from Shedden!
Old 16 Apr 2009, 14:24 (Ref:2442275)   #30
Icebaby
Veteran

Icebaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great news on Thommo but is it confirmed as a full -time drive and if so where is the money coming from. If there is no money why drop Shedden as both drivers in the same senario.

If the world was fair Pinkney would have been thrown out.
Old 16 Apr 2009, 14:30 (Ref:2442279)   #31
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Bizarre timing. I assume the team have no serious aspirations in winning the drivers title...
Old 16 Apr 2009, 17:02 (Ref:2442399)   #32
NendoShisu
Racer

England
LUTON
NendoShisu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icebaby View Post
Money Talks!
Old 16 Apr 2009, 17:36 (Ref:2442422)   #33
gregc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedford
gregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NendoShisu View Post
Money Talks!
Indeed - and even more so when a team comes to the end of a (rumoured...) million pound/year sponsorship deal, and new sponsors are hard to come by. A mate of mine was curious about the new sponsors on the Civics, and discovered that, with the exception of Garmin, most of them are in some way linked to Pinkney. It's not too much of a stretch to think that without him there might not have been a Dynamics entry this year...

In that scenario, any aspirations for title challenges are pretty secondary in my view, the first priority is just to be racing.

Regarding Thompson, it will be interesting to see what he can do with the Civic. It was noticeable at Brands that Shedden was running at a reasonably good pace for probably two thirds of the race, but then it dropped off - suggesting to me that the car is not being kind to it's tyres. I rate Thommo hugely, but I wonder if even he can drive around a problem that could be pretty fundamental.
Old 16 Apr 2009, 17:52 (Ref:2442435)   #34
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
It surprises me that BMW isnt often stronger here, with the circuit characteristics, you would put BMW down to stomp everyone, but that never happens.
Old 16 Apr 2009, 18:39 (Ref:2442465)   #35
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
Bizarre timing. I assume the team have no serious aspirations in winning the drivers title...
I take it you mean that they have less aspiration than 1 meeting ago?

He's only missed 3 rounds and is not far behind Giovanardi in the table - or is his challenge over already?!

Quote:
Great news on Thommo but is it confirmed as a full -time drive and if so where is the money coming from. If there is no money why drop Shedden as both drivers in the same senario.

Steve Neal has stated for a long time that he'd like to see Thompson in at TD. All indications are that this drive is as full-time as any in BTCC.

Shedden and Thompson might be in the same scenario, yet Thompson has WTCC, DTC experience and is a two-time BTCC champion. On paper a far better prospect than Shedden.

Pinkney is needed for his finances, and if Shedden can get some more backing he'll be back in a 3rd car.
Old 16 Apr 2009, 19:16 (Ref:2442488)   #36
Icebaby
Veteran

Icebaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its suprising Steve Neal did not go for Thompson in the first place as he will indeed put the Civic at the sharp end, why he waited seems odd as he wanted Thommo.

Although Pinkney brings money to the team he looks like all at sea as he did in the Alfa, I really do wonder what he hopes to get for his £250K as rumoured.

If Plato can be secured for the rest of the season this will indeed be a vintage year for BTCC.
Old 16 Apr 2009, 19:30 (Ref:2442498)   #37
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
stedevil has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregc View Post
It was noticeable at Brands that Shedden was running at a reasonably good pace for probably two thirds of the race, but then it dropped off - suggesting to me that the car is not being kind to it's tyres. I rate Thommo hugely, but I wonder if even he can drive around a problem that could be pretty fundamental.
It sure is a fundamental problem. They had that exact problem for 3 years now. And how many times have we seen the Civic crawl back to the pits with a puncture even in the last years?
Old 16 Apr 2009, 20:02 (Ref:2442522)   #38
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I really do wonder what he hopes to get for his £250K as rumoured.
He'll get a lot less out of it than he would for the amount I've heard quoted
Old 16 Apr 2009, 21:26 (Ref:2442565)   #39
snowen250
Veteran

snowen250 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Were you at Brands Icebaby? Because from where i was sat David Pinkney did just fine, punted in race 1 had to fight back, similar in race 2 before the car died in race 3.
Pinkney has always been a pretty good driver, his exploits with a production Sierra in the early 90s were great, and besides even if you dont like the man, surely the fact that he is pumping his own money into a team to keep it on the grid means that he at least deserves your respect, especially as he is one of the nicest guys in the pit lane.
Simon
Old 16 Apr 2009, 22:29 (Ref:2442605)   #40
awrb
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
Quote:
Although Pinkney brings money to the team he looks like all at sea as he did in the Alfa, I really do wonder what he hopes to get for his £250K as rumoured.
remember Pinkney's 2006 season though, pretty much on the pace in that integra. I think his reputation only took a battering when he went to A-Tech, had to start up the team, sort the car out on Dunlop's ( a difficult to set up car anyway), with just the help of a certain Mr Marsh (who was at least a second slower than anyone else. Ever. Including me walking alongside.) and his football team going bust. I think he was against the odds that year, and I look forward to him surprising you throughout the year.
Old 16 Apr 2009, 22:34 (Ref:2442608)   #41
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

A full season of BTCC racing, in a competitive car unlike, sadly, Gordon Sheddon.
Old 17 Apr 2009, 04:59 (Ref:2442732)   #42
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowen250 View Post
Were you at Brands Icebaby? Because from where i was sat David Pinkney did just fine, punted in race 1 had to fight back, similar in race 2 before the car died in race 3.
Pinkney has always been a pretty good driver, his exploits with a production Sierra in the early 90s were great, and besides even if you dont like the man, surely the fact that he is pumping his own money into a team to keep it on the grid means that he at least deserves your respect, especially as he is one of the nicest guys in the pit lane.
Simon
nicely said.
Old 17 Apr 2009, 08:46 (Ref:2442837)   #43
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Its suprising Steve Neal did not go for Thompson in the first place as he will indeed put the Civic at the sharp end, why he waited seems odd as he wanted Thommo.
Perhaps it took longer than anticipated to complete the contract arrangements, paticularly given that Thompson had already agreed drives in both DTC and V8SC. Steve Neal said back in December he was trying to sign Thompson, and as the deal hadn't been done by Brands, then Shedden was the best option to fill the seat.
Quote:
One meeting and he's 'all at sea'.
He's adapting to a totally different type of car to his last drive, a new team, and why should his expectations be any different to any other paying driver on the grid?
Quote:
If Plato can be secured for the rest of the season this will indeed be a vintage year for BTCC.
Does that mean BTCC can't have a vintage year if Plato misses most events? I know ITV think the BTCC is 'The Jason Plato Show', but there are other drivers who have been more succesful (three of which will be at Thruxton).
Old 17 Apr 2009, 18:15 (Ref:2443197)   #44
NendoShisu
Racer

England
LUTON
Quote:
Originally Posted by awrb View Post
and his football team going bust.
Yes this was probably the main reason why Pinkney didn't race at all last year he spent all his pocket money on Luton Town Players Wages while they were in administration.

And before any of that -30 points deduction via the FA.

He got his fingers well an truly burnt on the town and I guess now he wants to spend decent money with a great team like Dynamics, it will be a huge learning curve for him. not only will he have had tips from the Shed but now Jimmy T.

Midpack Racing has never been stronger this year.
Old 18 Apr 2009, 17:44 (Ref:2443924)   #45
Spanner monkey
Racer

England
Norwich
Spanner monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Civic crawl back to the pits with a puncture
I dont think it was sheds fault he was twatted by a bmw within 50 yards of the start of the 1st race! This also compramises the 2nd race if you dnf
Old 20 Apr 2009, 15:59 (Ref:2445646)   #46
NendoShisu
Racer

England
LUTON
Mat Jackson is back at Thruxton this Sunday (26 April) in one of the RML team’s privately-entered Chevrolet Lacettis.

http://www.btcc.net/html/generalnews_detail.php?id=1385

I don't know if that means Plato is out or if there are two RML Lacettis
Old 20 Apr 2009, 16:03 (Ref:2445649)   #47
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NendoShisu View Post
Mat Jackson is back at Thruxton this Sunday (26 April) in one of the RML team’s privately-entered Chevrolet Lacettis.

http://www.btcc.net/html/generalnews_detail.php?id=1385

I don't know if that means Plato is out or if there are two RML Lacettis
Looks like Plato and Jackson in a RML Chevy:
Quote:
“On top of that, there’s the potential to compare myself against someone of Jason’s calibre in identical machinery.
Old 20 Apr 2009, 16:06 (Ref:2445654)   #48
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Fantastic news. Autosport's article says Plato is unconfirmed for Thruxton.

I wonder if Mat has sold their two 320si's then?
Old 20 Apr 2009, 16:08 (Ref:2445655)   #49
awrb
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
Wow, would be pretty good if a decent sponsor's stepped in to run jackson and Plato. Would definitely be a good deal for the sponsors, ITV will only show the Lacetti's now!
Old 20 Apr 2009, 16:11 (Ref:2445658)   #50
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by medius View Post
Fantastic news. Autosport's article says Plato is unconfirmed for Thruxton.

I wonder if Mat has sold their two 320si's then?
Whether they were sold or not, they didn't have a team to run them.

Tags
btcc, thruxton