Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 6 May 2009, 11:28 (Ref:2456387)   #1
Sheffieldstag
Rookie

Sheffieldstag should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where to view at Donington

I'm going to the BTCC race at Donington Park on 16/17 May and wondered whether anybody had some recommendations on the best places to view the race. I haven't visited Donington since the mid-90's but sat at Redgate one year and the esses the next.

I understand that the inner of the track is currently closed off.
Old 6 May 2009, 11:35 (Ref:2456395)   #2
awrb
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
awrb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've been the last few years, but can't make it this time round. I've always found the outside of the Old Hairpin the best place. You can see the exit of Redgate up to Macleans. Perhaps not the longest view, but the cars coming down the Craners and the drama of the Old Hairpin itself makes up for that.

You'll have a great time I'm sure, just so long as it doesn't rain like 2007. That was not fun.
Old 6 May 2009, 11:37 (Ref:2456397)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I agree. I like to see the cars coming down the Craners and into the Old Hairpin. I was there in 1993 when Nige went off.

Donington is quite a good spectator circuit. There aren't really any grandstands, but the banking is very good and in the right place you can see a long way. Some places on top of the banking or through the odd gap in the fence are good for taking photos too.
Old 6 May 2009, 11:39 (Ref:2456400)   #4
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I understand that some parts of the infield are out of bounds, others are business as usual. Shame really, I do like walking a lap of the circuit there, but you have to cut inside at Coppice to continue your lap and I doubt that'll be available this year.
Old 6 May 2009, 11:55 (Ref:2456407)   #5
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Luffield is probably the best place to see the BTCC in a couple of weeks.
Old 6 May 2009, 12:05 (Ref:2456419)   #6
Robin_D
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Warwickshire, UK
Robin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_l View Post
I think Luffield is probably the best place to see the BTCC in a couple of weeks.
That's what I was going to say. lol. Ever the optimist!
Old 6 May 2009, 12:14 (Ref:2456428)   #7
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The infield is where a majority of the crowds watch from and where the sales/promo stands are setup. If this is out of bounds it is going to be very cramped with all the crowd stuck between redgate and macleans on the outfield.

It will also be interesting to see where the TV cameras are setup so as to avoid showing the lack of building work going on and open the circuit to even more criticism.
Old 6 May 2009, 12:30 (Ref:2456444)   #8
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, isn't that just extra interesting, racing on a large constructionsite? It would make for some interesting sights imo.
Old 6 May 2009, 17:13 (Ref:2456627)   #9
TerryD
Racer

United Kingdom
Suffolk
TerryD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Become a Marshal and get the best view all the time!
Old 6 May 2009, 17:30 (Ref:2456635)   #10
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Terry's advice would seem to be the best-though possibly difficult to arrange in 10 days? Last time I went in 2001-the outside of the circuit was 'out of bounds' I was turned back when I attempted to leave the paddock at Redgate by a usually helpful marshal-when asked were I was expected to watch the racing he suggested the infield.Don't think I will be going again untill they get the place sorted out.
Old 6 May 2009, 17:52 (Ref:2456661)   #11
GroupOfOne
Racer

GroupOfOne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Be interesting to see where they setup all the sales and promo stands too, if they can't do it on the infield.

Suppose they could always put them in the exhibition centre like they do for the MotoGP, though I guess not as many people would find them as normal if so.
Old 6 May 2009, 18:16 (Ref:2456676)   #12
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i would recommend the same as everyone else, but a bit further up the hill to the old hairpin. just before it gets steep on the way down from redgate is perfect, i think it gives you the view from all the way through redgate to the old hairpin and back up the hill again.

i would suggest everyone continues to go to donington's events to support the circuit in its time of need rather than boycotting it due to management.
Old 6 May 2009, 21:12 (Ref:2456793)   #13
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
You're right. Why cut off your nose to spite your face?
Old 7 May 2009, 07:47 (Ref:2456996)   #14
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
i would suggest everyone continues to go to donington's events to support the circuit in its time of need rather than boycotting it due to management.
There's been a couple of post in the Marshals' Forum about no longer volunteering for Donington meetings but outside of that I've not seen anyone seriously suggest a boycott.

I'll continue to go to Donington's events, if and when they have any events to go to. I've even got my hi-vis and hard-hat ready.

In answer to the original question - outside at Redgate, Hollywood or Old Hairpin is good, or infield overlooking Craners/Old Hairpin. At this point we don't know for definite how much of the infield will be open. Certainly the area between McLeans and Coppice will be closed due to the tunnel construction work, and probably the straight from Coppice to the Esses.
Old 7 May 2009, 08:42 (Ref:2457041)   #15
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
There's been a couple of post in the Marshals' Forum about no longer volunteering for Donington meetings but outside of that I've not seen anyone seriously suggest a boycott.
i was commenting on the back of the below comment by rob29, which while i understand why he is of that opinion seemed a bit... well. short sighted. i didn't want anyone else on the forum to be thinking this was a good idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob29 View Post
Don't think I will be going again untill they get the place sorted out.
Old 7 May 2009, 12:25 (Ref:2457215)   #16
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
i was commenting on the back of the below comment by rob29, which while i understand why he is of that opinion seemed a bit... well. short sighted. i didn't want anyone else on the forum to be thinking this was a good idea.
Ah sorry, missed that one. It depends what rob means by "sorted out". If he means get a circuit licence then none of us will be going until that happens. If on the other hand he means the concrete set, everything painted and a fresh pine smell wafting from the toilets then he could be in for quite a wait.
Old 12 May 2009, 17:49 (Ref:2461093)   #17
Dave 455
Racer

Dave 455 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Take your own food, Caterers have left site.
No pub or paddock cafe.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/l...re/8046673.stm
Old 13 May 2009, 06:38 (Ref:2461418)   #18
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 455 View Post
No pub or paddock cafe.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/l...re/8046673.stm
Sounds like a good oppertunity for local burger vans?
Re;my previous coment;this referred to lack of facillites for spectators-can you see anything without a telescope? 6hr 30m on ITV4 willl do for me-can tape the bit that clashes with DTM from Hockenheim
Old 13 May 2009, 11:46 (Ref:2461596)   #19
BG76
Rookie

England
Cambridgeshire
BG76 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBG76 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob29 View Post
6hr 30m on ITV4 willl do for me-can tape the bit that clashes with DTM from Hockenheim
Where is DTM on live?
Old 13 May 2009, 15:06 (Ref:2461724)   #20
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 455 View Post
No pub or paddock cafe.
Nobody mentioned it on Sunday and there seemed to be enough outlets in the spectator areas to satisfy public demand.

I never find time for lunch let alone a pint. Too much to see.
Old 13 May 2009, 15:42 (Ref:2461753)   #21
RCMADD
Racer

England
derby
RCMADD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
at the moment the best place to view the racing from is anywhere between redgate through to mclains on the outside

as far as im aware the inside is classed as a building site so off limits to the public/marshals although there was someone infield on sunday during the masters meeting up near mclains
Old 13 May 2009, 16:15 (Ref:2461784)   #22
mosler lover
Rookie

England
8 miles from Donington, England
mosler lover should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Over the Old Harpin, for sure, though if the infield (ex)Spitfire-to-sparkplug bank is shut, it may be a bit of a squeeze on the outfield this year.

Footage from last year at that vantage point:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPTjz4V3XYg
Old 13 May 2009, 16:17 (Ref:2461788)   #23
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by BG76 View Post
Where is DTM on live?
German ARD channel according to post on DTM thread.http://dtm.com/tv.php

Last edited by Rob29; 13 May 2009 at 16:42. Reason: Add website
Old 14 May 2009, 17:09 (Ref:2462475)   #24
redshoes
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMADD View Post
as far as im aware the inside is classed as a building site so off limits to the public/marshals although there was someone infield on sunday during the masters meeting up near mclains
According to the BTCC's media officer
Quote:
Donington have informed us that some of the infield will in fact be open. This will be the section from roughly half-way down the start-finish straight back across to about half-way down the Craner Curves and back up towards Redgate corner, so plenty of space still. Donington has to stick to this due to health and safety regulations that surround the impending work elsewhere on the infield...
I assume that means from the pedestrian tunnel under the start line round to the end of the Craner hospitality suites. Not great but better than nothing I suppose.
Old 14 May 2009, 18:55 (Ref:2462544)   #25
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
According to the BTCC's media officer

I assume that means from the pedestrian tunnel under the start line round to the end of the Craner hospitality suites. Not great but better than nothing I suppose.
Sound like is will be the same as last weekend so you are about right but there is some viewing to the right of the pedestrian tunnel. Not sure how much access there will be to the grandstand there.pretty much anywhere arounf the outside of the circuit where it is open offers good viewing for large parts of the track although sometimes at a distance. For example from McLeans you can see all the way from the Schwantz curve through to Coppice and then after the embankment the braking area and first part of the chicane. Binoculars handy but not absolutely neccessary.

From the area of Hollywood you can see the end of the pit straight through Red gate, some of the Craners Curves and Old Hairpin (depending on wher you stand maybe most of it) and the Schwantz/McLeans and up to Coppice.

Not sure if you can join on the day but if you can the DPRAC (Donington Park Racing Association Club) reserved members area has terraced seating, other useful facilities and sensibly priced drinks and biscuits, etc.available with any excess revenue going towards Donington Park racing activity support - safety kit and rider/driver assistance when required if injured. A good viewing location as well.

Something to consider for regular visitors.