Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 24 Feb 2003, 23:19 (Ref:516652)   #1
stickycompound
Rookie

stickycompound should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will Hoy Memorial Service

There will be a Memorial Service for Will -, open to all to attend. See www.willhoyracing.com
Old 2 Mar 2003, 16:47 (Ref:522427)   #2
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think that's something I'd want to go to. Will gave me a great deal of enjoyment with his driving over the years. It seems only right to say thank you, and pay my respects.
Old 2 Mar 2003, 18:06 (Ref:522541)   #3
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Thank you for letting us know about that, Mike. I really don't know how we missed the post for this amount of time.
Old 21 Mar 2003, 19:01 (Ref:543438)   #4
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I heard that all the manufacturers he drove for have clubbed together to provide hospitality - what a nice touch. Unfortunately I will be on holiday next week so cant make the service, so I'd just like to say thanks Will for all the great racing memories - you wont be forgotten in a hurry. If anyone needs to understand the depth of feeling about Will re-read the tributes that were paid to him when it was announced he was ill and then when he sadly passed in earlier posts in this forum. A fine man and so very good but poignant to see his son Dan winning in T-cars last weekend. Heres to another BTCC champ in the making!
Old 24 Mar 2003, 16:52 (Ref:546566)   #5
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Could anyone who goes, perhaps let us know how it went? I understand John Cleland is making a speech at it as well. Be interested to hear this, as I haven't heard or read anything from him on Will at the time of Will's passing.
Old 26 Mar 2003, 17:52 (Ref:548974)   #6
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
WILL HOY'S MEMORIAL SERVICE, 26 MAY

Gone, but not forgotten, was the clear message when some 750 people into St Luke's Church, Chelsea, to remember the life and career of Will Hoy, passing as they did so a clubman's car and Ferrari 250GTO lined up at the door.

Sarah Greene delivered an address which gave us all an insight into the Will Hoy whom we perhaps didn't know so well. The youngster who grew up on a farm in Hertfordshire, beginning his motorsport career by racing his younger brother James round the fields in a couple of ancient Austins - until their uncle put a stop to such activities by changing the lock on the farm's petrol pump! Then there was the Will Hoy who rowed so well for his school and played rugby. Most of all though, there was Will Hoy the family man. Will and Judy have three children - Ellie, Libby and Freddie - and they too bravely stood up in front of the packed audience and payed tribute to the father they clearly loved and miss,little Freddie telling us how his father shared his love of dogs.

On to the motorsport, and a superb address from John Cleland reminded us of what fun the BTCC used to be, regaling us with such stories as they time when a bunch of drivers, led by Will, replaced the wheels on Alan Gow's Pace Car with spacesavers just minutes before a race. There were tales of highjinks on the golf course too.

As one who has reported on touring cars for eleven years, I can honestly say I have never heard a bad word said of Will, and as JC said, he was a tough competitor but scrupulously fair on the track. It is a measure of the esteem in which he is held that so many of his competitors turned out to honour his memory. Touring car drivers past and present (in no particular order) included John Cleland, Jeff Allam, Alain Menu, Julian Bailey, Steve Soper, David Leslie, Derek Warwick, Ray Bellm, James Kaye, Tiff Needell, Ian Flux. If I've missed anyone, my apologies.

It was not just the world of touring cars who turned out either, for amongst the congregation were Jackie Stewart, John Watson, Jonathan Palmer, Patrick Head, Mike Earle, Dick Bennetts, David Sears, Vic Lee and Hugh Chamberlain, with whom Will began his motorsport career in Clubmans. The marshalls were represented too, by a trio of stalwarts in their orange overalls. The four manufacturers for whom Will drove in touring cars (BMW,Ford,Renault and Toyota) were all represented and they joined together to provide a buffet reception afterwards in the nearby Duke of York's barracks.

It was a fitting tribute, but not a day to be sad, Will wouldn't have wanted that. He would have enjoyed the tales that were being recounted afterwards though!
Old 26 Mar 2003, 17:54 (Ref:548979)   #7
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just noticed I have wrongly dated Will's service. It was of course the 26 March.
Old 26 Mar 2003, 21:50 (Ref:549304)   #8
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thankyou for letting us know how the memorial service went, John, it's much appreciated by me and many others.
Old 26 Mar 2003, 23:59 (Ref:549451)   #9
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
John, thanks for telling us about the service. As TL said, it really is appreciated that you've taken the time to tell us all about it.
Old 27 Mar 2003, 07:20 (Ref:549645)   #10
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Just to say I am still sad at the loss of this great bloke. I had a moment's silence yesterday just to reflect.

Thanks for the post John.