Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 29 Aug 2012, 09:27 (Ref:3126781)   #1
brw2012
Rookie

brw2012 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
New to RallyCross - Mini Cross or Stock Hatch?

Hi all,

First post on the forums - please be kind

So, I am now getting to the point where I'm a little bored of karting and taking my 350z around different tracks for track days, and looking to get into something a little more fun - Rally Cross

Just wondering if anyone can offer any advice - I have read up quite a bit on different methods of RallyCross, and it seems to me that the cheapest entry level for this is either MiniCross or Stock Hatch, is that right?

- It seems for both, I would need a National 'B' License - is that the same as a Non-Race National B License? I did see a post from someone mentioning that a 'Non-Race License' is basically a form of go-as-fast-as-you-can without actually racing against one another, is that right? I quite like the idea of racing against others!

- Also, does everyone who races have their own garage to deal with the damage during races etc? I know the following question is a bit like 'how long is a piece of string', but how much damage is typically dealt during the races? Do the cars require a lot of rebuilding? Given that I havent currently got a garage at home, it may prove difficult to fix the car up

- Hiring/Buying - What would everyone recommend? I've seen that I would be able to hire for anywhere between £300-600 per race...might be worth a go on the first race maybe? Does anyone else hire here?

Thanks in advance - look forward to hearing back.
Old 29 Aug 2012, 09:30 (Ref:3126783)   #2
brw2012
Rookie

Also, just on that note - my closest track would most likely be Lydden Hill, which is good news! I have also seen that there's an RX150 class - are these available for hire? Does this class race at Lydden too?

Thank you
Old 29 Aug 2012, 13:12 (Ref:3126902)   #3
AlamakiRX
Racer

AlamakiRX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
PM sent
Old 29 Aug 2012, 13:47 (Ref:3126917)   #4
silver bullet
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
silver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hi brw2012, and welcome to the forum
Quote:
Originally Posted by brw2012 View Post
Just wondering if anyone can offer any advice - I have read up quite a bit on different methods of RallyCross, and it seems to me that the cheapest entry level for this is either MiniCross or Stock Hatch, is that right?
Yes the cheapest entry level classes into rallycross are definitely Stock Hatch or Minicross.

Quote:
It seems for both, I would need a National 'B' License - is that the same as a Non-Race National B License? I did see a post from someone mentioning that a 'Non-Race License' is basically a form of go-as-fast-as-you-can without actually racing against one another, is that right? I quite like the idea of racing against others!
Yes, you would need a Nat B licence from the MSA. You could go for a stage rally national B, or a race national b, but for both of these you would need to do a test, and part with a significant amount of money to do so. If rallycross is the type of motorsport you want to do then a non race national b is what you want to go for.
Don't worry about the words non race, you will be racing against others.

Quote:
Also, does everyone who races have their own garage to deal with the damage during races etc? I know the following question is a bit like 'how long is a piece of string', but how much damage is typically dealt during the races? Do the cars require a lot of rebuilding? Given that I havent currently got a garage at home, it may prove difficult to fix the car up
Only the superstars get the chance of garages at the circuits that have them (ie. Knockhill & Croft).
Normally we all just find a space in the paddock, and set up camp there.
Generally in the more standard classes there is not much work to do between races, providing you don't crash into anything, despite what you may have heard or seen rallycross is a non contact sport
As for fixing it at home, after most meetings you will find that it's just a wash and a little bit of tinkering that is needed, maybe a touch of filler, and a splash of paint. Although it is preferable to have a garage with a little bit of equipment, a lot of drivers just fix their cars on the drive out side their house. You do need an off road area to keep and work on your car, because rallycross cars are generally not road legal you can not keep them on the kerb side.

Quote:
Hiring/Buying - What would everyone recommend? I've seen that I would be able to hire for anywhere between £300-600 per race...might be worth a go on the first race maybe? Does anyone else hire here?
Yes, if you haven't got a car yet, and you are not sure if you want to make the commitment straight away hiring could be a good option to give it a go.

Quote:
Also, just on that note - my closest track would most likely be Lydden Hill, which is good news! I have also seen that there's an RX150 class - are these available for hire? Does this class race at Lydden too?
Yes you can hire an RX150 and they do race at Lydden but they cost a lot more to hire than a Stock Hatch or Minicrosser

Hope that helps.
Old 29 Aug 2012, 14:22 (Ref:3126932)   #5
rallyloverke
Racer

rallyloverke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And what about the Swifts? A full grid of cars (about 16?) to enjoy racing
Old 29 Aug 2012, 14:42 (Ref:3126944)   #6
silver bullet
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
silver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes there are the Swifts but like the RX150's they can hardly be described as a cheap option.
Old 29 Aug 2012, 16:16 (Ref:3126987)   #7
schanche
Veteran

England
5OUTH E4ST
schanche should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver bullet View Post
Yes there are the Swifts but like the RX150's they can hardly be described as a cheap option.
But it's another Option! Visit the website www.swiftrallycross.com for more info on hiring for events or visit Facebook.
Currently has the largests entrants in all of the classes you will get looked after,some former stars of Rallycross have competed! and if it's good enough for Global Rallycross competitor David Binks former junior Rallycross star, it's worth a try before you commit to any class.
Old 4 Sep 2012, 12:44 (Ref:3130549)   #8
brw2012
Rookie

Hi all,

Thanks for the prompt replies - apologies for the lateness in my reply, been away for a couple of days.

Sounds like the MiniCross and the Stock Hatch are the cheapest forms then, think I will stick with this for now before trying my hand at Swifts... :/

Also, has anyone tried any single seater racin,g i.e. Locost or Formula Vee? These also look pretty cheap, and really fun (good link I found was: http://www.pistonheads.com/doc.asp?c=129&i=15937)

Does anyone know anywhere I could try and hire for the first few races next season then? Anyone tried anyone before? Also, what are the general costs for renting in Mini and Stock? Is everything covered, i.e. damage to the hire car etc?

Thanks all
Old 8 Sep 2012, 22:56 (Ref:3133005)   #9
AlamakiRX
Racer

AlamakiRX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
3 Citroen Saxo VTS's for sale

All top spec rallycross car, all able to race in stockhatch or hot hatch.

1 car is "brand new", new build from straight rust free shell, just out of paint shop, all new parts to build

2 others cars used in HH/SH rallycross for past 2 seasons, with capable of winning, 100% legal reliable cars.

PM if interested for more info.

All 3 cars ready to race in 2013 championships.