Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 26 Apr 2003, 14:19 (Ref:581453)   #1
FG1
Veteran

FG1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Driving to Le Mans

Those of you driving to Le Mans via the N138 will be pleased to know that the road works in Rouen have now ended. Going to Le Mans from Calais there is not much difference, there are a couple of new roundabouts here and there, and as you come off the bridge over the Seine in Rouen the traffic lights have gone. Coming back from Le Mans to Calais through Rouen you now filter right onto a new ramp to get onto the Bridge over the Seine, which means you don't have to cross the oncoming traffic. It's quite well signposted, but be prepared.

FG
Old 26 Apr 2003, 14:25 (Ref:581457)   #2
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Not a route we use, but I'm sure there are plenty who will appreciate the news.
Old 26 Apr 2003, 14:58 (Ref:581486)   #3
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i certainly do. fg's route map is legendary.
Old 27 Apr 2003, 11:30 (Ref:581989)   #4
Bentley Beermon
Racer

England
Sheffield
Bentley Beermon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Help I normally get the ferry from portsmouth to le harve for the main event but this year we are to pq aswell, so therefore going through the tunnel. My auto route takes me round the southern tip of Paris is this right and roughly how long would you expect it to take. All suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Old 27 Apr 2003, 12:11 (Ref:582012)   #5
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Road to Rouen!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by FG1
Those of you driving to Le Mans via the N138 will be pleased to know that the road works in Rouen have now ended. Going to Le Mans from Calais there is not much difference, there are a couple of new roundabouts here and there, and as you come off the bridge over the Seine in Rouen the traffic lights have gone. Coming back from Le Mans to Calais through Rouen you now filter right onto a new ramp to get onto the Bridge over the Seine, which means you don't have to cross the oncoming traffic. It's quite well signposted, but be prepared.

FG
Thanks very much, I have dying to say this ever since 1990 when I was driven from Paree to Rouen to vist a factory.

Ready?

I was once on the Road to Rouen, then I did a U Turn and turned my life around!!! hides head in hands
Old 27 Apr 2003, 14:12 (Ref:582077)   #6
Kid Prozac
Racer

Kid Prozac should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
were going lemans for the first time this year, going dover calais route, can anyone tell me approx how long it takes to get to the circuit? think were sailing at 1pm on the friday, so hoping to get to the circuit around 6-7pm, is this realistic or is the traffic quite bad??
Old 27 Apr 2003, 14:26 (Ref:582088)   #7
rlinter
Racer

rlinter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is about 4 to 5 hrs depending what time you hit Rouen.
Old 27 Apr 2003, 15:52 (Ref:582154)   #8
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There is a sneaky which avoids Rouen completely, and it's really quite easy (even if as Bluebottle will attest, I completely missed it last September and nearly hit Paris.)

The trick is to take the autoroute out of Calais, pointing to Rouen as per normal, and head as far as Neufchatel en Brae. Just after N-en-B, junction 11, take the A29 where the road splits, as far as Junction 5 (You could take the N29) turn off to Yvetot. Take the small D131 road southbound, (don't miss it - Yvetot is pretty, but tight to manouvre through if you're still familiarising yourself with continental driving.)

Assuming you've spotted the D131, this takes you to the Pont de Brionne suspension bridge across the Seine (4 euro toll, I think) this somehow turns into the D913 and comes out at Bourgtheroulde/Infreville. A right turn at a traffic light puts you on the traditional N138, and you've successfully avoided Rouen altogether.

I find it takes about the same time as tackling Rouen in the mid-morning commercial traffic, but the effect on my blood pressure is unbelievable, having come that close to being squished by lorries near the sulphur works on too many occasions. (Bourgtheroulde also supplied me with a fruits de mer baguette for lunch which was to die for last year).

Anyone got anything to add to that route?
Old 27 Apr 2003, 16:00 (Ref:582164)   #9
rlinter
Racer

rlinter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The other route is the ignore the Le Mans signs as you come out of the tunnel as you enter Rouen and follow the Rive Gauche signs then pick up the N138 (Avenue de Canadiens) this will drop you down on the Autoroute south of Rouen close to the castle.

This is road does have lots of traffic lights on it however at the top of the road by the river there is a Green Autoroute sign that says Le Mans/Caen on it which I have yet to investigate.

Last edited by rlinter; 27 Apr 2003 at 16:02.
Old 27 Apr 2003, 21:48 (Ref:582381)   #10
FG1
Veteran

There are various routes around Rouen, many of which we have tried. If the traffic is not bad the simplest way we have always found is to follow the signs. Last year we turned off the road after the tunnel earlier and went down the other side of the river which works fine, particularly if you are taking the route to Le Mans via Chatres.

We drive to Le Mans frequently, I average about 5 hours on the road depending on traffic and the time of day. My record is well below 4 hours, but that was with my foot down in the wee small hours.

Just before the race itself it can take longer to get down because of the traffic.

If anyone wants a copy of my directions drop me a PM.

FG
Old 27 Apr 2003, 23:03 (Ref:582425)   #11
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by FG1

If anyone wants a copy of my directions drop me a PM.

FG

Or here, of course.......

http://www.aysedasi.btinternet.co.uk...mdircalais.htm

Do I need to update any of this Francis?
Old 28 Apr 2003, 09:13 (Ref:582611)   #12
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thanks for the updates.
Old 28 Apr 2003, 10:50 (Ref:582698)   #13
FG1
Veteran

Quote:
Do I need to update any of this Francis?
I'll send it shortly.

FG

Last edited by FG1; 28 Apr 2003 at 10:51.