Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 5 Feb 2002, 18:32 (Ref:210737)   #1
Blue
Racer

Blue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is Honda engine OK????

I haven't heard any good rumors about the Honda engine so far. Both Jordan and BAR aren't happy about the engine..EJ flew to Japan to push HONDA brass.
Hope they don't break my heart.
Old 5 Feb 2002, 19:27 (Ref:210772)   #2
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope they don't mess up either.
Classic Eddie Irvine moments, #1
Interviewer: "Why has Schumacher got an odd shaped helmet?" Eddie: "Because he's German, he's got an odd shaped head"
Old 5 Feb 2002, 19:27 (Ref:210773)   #3
ParkLife
Racer

ParkLife should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I still get the feeling that Honda aren't fully committed yet. They seem to have greatly underestimated the other engine manufacturers and probably have the worst engine of all of the manufacturers (Merc, Ferrari, Renault, Toyota). Saying that, they did admit to finding a major problem with it in the first test which they already have a fix for. Question is, is it a fix, or just a patch?
Old 5 Feb 2002, 19:36 (Ref:210783)   #4
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think we will have to wait and see.
Old 5 Feb 2002, 20:22 (Ref:210804)   #5
Coach44
Racer

Coach44 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They have to come up with something good this year; one can only hope!!!!
Old 5 Feb 2002, 22:31 (Ref:210877)   #6
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
i don't think that honda are in formula 1 to make up the numbers, they are in it to win! the difference being, and no dis-respect to the two teams involved, jordan and bar, but honda haven't got the partnership with WCC candidates. the last time that they were successfull, they partnered williams and mclaren, both WCC contenders.

if honda had one (or both) of those two teams now, i think it would be a different story!
Old 5 Feb 2002, 22:49 (Ref:210886)   #7
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree 100%. However, Honda does not provide enough support to the teams either. The race spec engine has not been released yet. So the jury is still out. I have seen articles already suggesting that the motor is a disappointment. F1-i also misquoted JV to suggest there was something wrong with the motor. Honda, IMO was embarassed last year. I dont suspect that they will allow that again. Supposedly the Ferrari was 840hp. That would not be a bad target. Being a die hard Honda geek I am praying for some light at the end of the tunnel.
Old 5 Feb 2002, 23:34 (Ref:210909)   #8
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
av8rirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think its time for EJ to give Honda more input into the whole team. If they had a bigger incentive, I think that they could definitely turn Jordan into a team comparible with McLaren of the late 80's - early 90's. They have two good drivers now. EJ just needs to show Honda the carrot to produce results.
Old 6 Feb 2002, 00:55 (Ref:210929)   #9
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Buy Prost!!

Here's a thought: I wonder why Honda don't try to snap up the Prost franchise at bargain basement prices, and stick their own engine in in temporarily until they can have a new chassis of their own built. That will shut up all the moaning and groaning from Eddie Jordan and BAR, and give Honda a factory team at K Mart prices.
Old 6 Feb 2002, 02:09 (Ref:210943)   #10
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I heard that Honda's new powerplant is lagging behind the top engines in terms of horsepower, but isn't it expected? i mean, in F1, its hard to have drastic improvements up the grid, because other teams would usually improve as much as you over a season.

If Honda wants to close the gap, they need to work doubly hard...but that is almost impossible when you know others are fully maxed out in their workload.

But from the good side of things, there are rumours that the engine used in testing are just a testing version of the race engine, with the revs and hp output limited to ensure more miles to be clocked up for developement. And that Honda actually let their road-car engine engineers to have a hand in working with their F1 engines to gain experience which would benefit their road-cars.

Seriously though, their cooperation with Jordan and BAR (no offense) is not going to be very helpful when it comes to developing their engines compared to BMW and Mercedes. Simply because Williams and Mclaren can commit more tracktime to engine testings, and that feedback and suggestions from Williams and Mclaren is more in-depth, constructive and specific than from BAR.

Helps to have P.Head guide you into the F1 world...he had a hand in telling BMW what to do and how to optimise the engine for the Williams package... and the results show.
Old 6 Feb 2002, 05:00 (Ref:210975)   #11
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes they're in f1 to win! but that doesn't mean they will!!Most assume that because they dominated at all other time , they will again.
The truth is they've only had the best engine in f1 once (the turbo).renault soon overtook them in the N/A era(senna was the reason they kept winning.There is NO garrentee they'll be more than also-rans this time.I hope otherwise
Old 7 Feb 2002, 03:49 (Ref:211447)   #12
Blue
Racer

Blue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They enterd F1 to win not just to participate, of course. I still have faith in them. They are so dominant in motoGP and Indy cart. so why not F1? at least I don't want to see them lose against TOYOTA. that's not acceptable.
Old 7 Feb 2002, 04:33 (Ref:211456)   #13
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Amen! I know that they can build motors. That is how they make most of their money. So I am also confident that they will soon have one of the best motors in F1. I do not feel that BMW had the right formula. They had the power and no reliability. So if there is a motor to model after it would be Ferrari. Hp is not the main factor.
Old 7 Feb 2002, 10:31 (Ref:211531)   #14
Kelstea
Rookie

Kelstea should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Oh dear,Oh dear,something is in the wind at Jordans today
Eddie is back from Japan and is having a working breakfast with all the major personalities this morning.A film crew has also been in for a short statement.....I hope this is not bad news.
I dont know when the statement will appear on TV but keep your eyes peeled!!!!!
Old 7 Feb 2002, 11:02 (Ref:211543)   #15
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Let us know what will be Kelstea... post it here as soon as you watch it !
Old 7 Feb 2002, 13:00 (Ref:211585)   #16
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
av8rirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So any news on this yet??
Old 7 Feb 2002, 13:22 (Ref:211596)   #17
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
The only news on my Reuters screen here at work is that Fisi has walked away from a big shunt in Valencia. The 2002 spec car spun between turns two and three. Fisi was taken to the medical centre but it appears he's ok and may even be back in the car thisafternoon.