Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 2 Feb 2003, 18:21 (Ref:493962)   #26
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

A child of the eleventh century - boy that's the Middle Ages alright...
Old 2 Feb 2003, 19:08 (Ref:494001)   #27
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, the Grand Am has just been won by a team of upstarts from The Other Series in a car considered the "lowest technology" class in the race.

And what screenwriter would have put that in?

P.S. to Lee: I have just read that there's going to be a "Hot Wheels" movie and they're in search of a screenwriter. Here's your chance!
Old 2 Feb 2003, 19:17 (Ref:494008)   #28
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
Well, the Grand Am has just been won by a team of upstarts from The Other Series in a car considered the "lowest technology" class in the race.

And what screenwriter would have put that in?
Well a couple of people over on the DSC forum predicted a GT, or specifically Buckler overall win - I was just about the only one who didn't see that happening...

Quote:
a "Hot Wheels" movie
Hot wheels as in the toys?
Old 3 Feb 2003, 13:07 (Ref:494807)   #29
egor
Veteran

Wales
N.Wales
egor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It was Judd's books that inspired me to write 24. I thought they were so utterly **** that I thought let's write a proper one!
I bought Pheonix by Bob Judd at an airport, it looked good to while away a few hours on a long flight It certainly did the job I was asleep after a couple of pages it was that
Old 3 Feb 2003, 13:55 (Ref:494872)   #30
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes, I read that too. It was pretty dire, wasn't it?
Old 5 Feb 2003, 13:35 (Ref:497248)   #31
TVRfan
Racer

Wales
TVRfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hi i just read the extracts and liked it alot. in fact im gonna buy it soon as i get home. well done mark. its about time publishers realised that there is a market for motorsport books, ive written some myself and have been told theyre "very good, but motorsport fans dont read!" hum?
Old 5 Feb 2003, 15:33 (Ref:497375)   #32
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As well as the fact that it was a lousy movie - a distinction it shares with "Le Mans"

fool!

the bob judd books are good trash reading but not great novels. the bes motor racing novel ever is here, well worht buying a copy as Bernie uses it to script f1.

http://dogbert.abebooks.com/servlet/...PL?bi=51605076
Old 5 Feb 2003, 16:21 (Ref:497412)   #33
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
All the parts of "Le Mans" the movie that were not actually racing were pretty lame. Which doesnt' mean I wouldn't watch it every chance I get!
It was racing as p*rn. The plot just got in the way of the action. I know I'm buying the DVD.

I'll have to check out this novel.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 12 Feb 2003, 11:06 (Ref:504228)   #34
cathelly
Rookie

cathelly should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A good friend of mine used to be a pro racing driver. He used to drive the Camel Huron in the early 70s (drove in that famous BOAC 1000kms at Brands, remembers Rodriguez lapping him while going sideways in Porsche 917) and then later on F5000. Guess what he does for a living now? He's a poet!
I tried to get him to write something about his racing but he couldn't marry the two. More inspiration for '24' - to capture that feeling of motion, speed etc.
Good to hear this stuff - hey, people really do want to read racing novels!
Old 12 Feb 2003, 11:30 (Ref:504271)   #35
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
Quote:
Originally posted by ss_collins
fool!
Old 19 Feb 2003, 16:28 (Ref:511677)   #36
cathelly
Rookie

Hey, I've just had an idea... I was working on the cover artwork of '24', and it really looks like it ought to be part of a series of books... so why not? Why don't we go into the publishing business? I'm an experienced writer/artist/editor by trade, I'm making the CD Roms up myself... we could have the start of a whole new literary genre! There's 'TVRfan's stories, Liz' Ferrari stories, my next book... how about 'Ten Tenths - an anthology of motor racing fiction from the users of this forum'. Okay, it would only be small beer at first but the fact that several retailers including people like Duke Video and Alex Reade are going to stock '24' is a good start. I could take care of all the editing, formatting, artwork and distribution of the CDroms and we could publish on a profit-share basis.
What do you guys think?
Old 19 Feb 2003, 16:49 (Ref:511697)   #37
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
If there's some way of making some dosh out of it, I'm in.........
Old 19 Feb 2003, 17:03 (Ref:511711)   #38
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ditto.
Old 23 Feb 2003, 01:26 (Ref:514508)   #39
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I'm intrigued. Motor racing novels have always seemed a tricky prospect to pull off, but, I have to say, the extracts of 24 really aren't at all bad. And, let's face it, what motorsport fan doesn't have a fantasy world of racing in his or her head?

I know I do.
Old 24 Feb 2003, 18:44 (Ref:516322)   #40
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Yep, me too. The times I've stood on the top step of that podium with Schumacher running last, 5 laps adrift in the Minardi......
Old 24 Feb 2003, 20:32 (Ref:516453)   #41
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Ah, I had Auto Union winning the 1999 F1 championship.
Old 21 Mar 2003, 15:27 (Ref:543260)   #42
cathelly
Rookie

Hi everyone, sorry I've been away for a bit! Ayedasi and Liz, Duke Video are definitely going to stock 24 on CDRom, so this really feels like it's up and running now! Give me a few days to chase up some other retailers, do some press releases etc. and then let's get this publishing thingy going! TVRFan, where are you?
Old 21 Mar 2003, 16:06 (Ref:543292)   #43
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Sounds good cathelly. Keep us posted.
Old 22 Mar 2003, 01:00 (Ref:543713)   #44
Liz
Veteran

Hurrah!
Old 15 Apr 2003, 14:58 (Ref:570169)   #45
cathelly
Rookie

Doh! Hang on everyone, there's going to be a short delay. The ACO's solicitor has been in touch, telling me I need their permission to use the number 24! I didn't know you could copyright a number, still there you go and I have to get their permission to proceed. Or think up a new title...
Any suggestions? Did I see that 'Chase the Horizon' had already been used?
Old 15 Apr 2003, 16:10 (Ref:570232)   #46
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Do the ACO have first dibs on the words 'Twenty Four' though?
Old 15 Apr 2003, 16:26 (Ref:570245)   #47
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by cathelly
The ACO's solicitor has been in touch, telling me I need their permission to use the number 24!
I'd've thought the telly people would have been in touch first...

'The Longest Day'? 'La Ronde Infernale'?
Old 15 Apr 2003, 18:43 (Ref:570369)   #48
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by cathelly
Doh! Hang on everyone, there's going to be a short delay. The ACO's solicitor has been in touch, telling me I need their permission to use the number 24! I didn't know you could copyright a number, still there you go and I have to get their permission to proceed. Or think up a new title...
Any suggestions? Did I see that 'Chase the Horizon' had already been used?
That just plain daft, I have never heard anything so daft in all my life.
Old 16 Apr 2003, 11:19 (Ref:570983)   #49
cathelly
Rookie

That's sport these days though, isn't it? Colin McRae has actually got his face copyrighted!
It's annoying because I'd called my book 24 long before the telly programme appeared.I'm not too worried about the TV programme because of the way trademarks etc. work. It would be very unlikely for my book and the programme to become 'commercially confused'. But I also just read that there's a new team going to Le Mans this year called Taurus... which is coincidentally what the fictional car is called in my book! I suppose they'll be in touch next...
My understanding at the moment is that being granted permission to use the number 24 (or the words twenty four, as it turns out) involves me paying the ACO for the priviledge. Let's face it, I'm just going to have to change the title, aren't I?
Old 16 Apr 2003, 11:33 (Ref:570997)   #50
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I fear you are. I must admit, I should have spoken up sooner - I ought to have guessed that you'd have trouble with the title.

How about one of my favourites, Hunaudières at Midnight ? (I'll let Fab put in the missing accent...... ; It's done, Ayse )

Last edited by Fab; 16 Apr 2003 at 13:14.