Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 14 Mar 2003, 13:27 (Ref:536030)   #1
gi_gav
Veteran

Scotland
gi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Le Mans Paddock Access

I tried posting this earlier in another thread, but it got swamped (quite rightly!) by excited speculation on driver line-ups.

Can someone explain a little ticketing query?

The ACO website lists "ACCES PLATEAUX ABCD 14,00 €" and refers to "ABCD Car Parks: Tyres area and Team’s assistance."

Does this mean the paddock area behind the pits grandstand?
I believe that someone mentioned earlier that you get access to this with a pits grandstand ticket.

If so, €14 sounds quite reasonable for some sneaky photo opportunities...

Cheers, Gav
Old 14 Mar 2003, 13:34 (Ref:536038)   #2
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I must confess I'm not sure gav. I did have one of these tickets about 3 years ago and never found anywhere I could use it. I don't think it will get you anywhere near the paddock - certainly not for 14 euros.

Anyone out there know the answer?
Old 14 Mar 2003, 13:37 (Ref:536041)   #3
gi_gav
Veteran

Scotland
gi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
I don't think it will get you anywhere near the paddock - certainly not for 14 euros.
Perhaps slightly wishful thinking!!
Old 14 Mar 2003, 13:54 (Ref:536067)   #4
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think a paddock/pitlane pass for race day is somewhere around the £200 mark.....
Old 14 Mar 2003, 14:04 (Ref:536079)   #5
gi_gav
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
I think a paddock/pitlane pass for race day is somewhere around the £200 mark.....
Sounds familiar, but i still wonder what "Tyres area and Team’s assistance." is?
Old 14 Mar 2003, 14:05 (Ref:536082)   #6
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Your guess is as good as mine - we wait to be enlightened. Maybe Fab can explain for us?
Old 14 Mar 2003, 14:06 (Ref:536087)   #7
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i think that means some of the car parking down the hill and round the corner from the back of the main grandstand entrance. there usually bigger team trucks inside the bugatti circuit, and theres always guys on quad bikes with wheels and tyres on the back scooting up from that general direction...i thought i saw a michelin area fenced off last year. this could all be my imagination though.
Old 14 Mar 2003, 16:51 (Ref:536211)   #8
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Isnt that the same area where the radio LeMans studio used to be
Old 14 Mar 2003, 18:53 (Ref:536304)   #9
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Explanation : those cheap tickets (plateaux A, B, C, D) allowed you to go to the team facilites ABOVE the paddock and BEHIND the pits grandstands, but if you've no Team entrance (a Guest Team Ticket), you can't do nothin' with it ! Not far from a swindle...

Well, if you buy this ticket, you can take the stairs (what the use ?) to this concrete part, but if you're not a guest, you can't go nowhere after...

Don't ask me why ACO sale this... :confused:
Old 14 Mar 2003, 18:55 (Ref:536305)   #10
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Sorry, sorry, I know why : to go to this area, you've to have a pits grandstand ticket (during the race) ; but if you're a guest, you DON'T NEED a grandstand ticket : so you need a ticket just to cross the area, to join the team facilites, that's why (phew !)...

Last edited by Fab; 14 Mar 2003 at 18:55.
Old 14 Mar 2003, 20:58 (Ref:536399)   #11
bernard b
Veteran

European Union
France
bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!
ok, lets clear all this:

there are actually 2 kinds of paddock:
first you have the 'working paddock' directly connected with pits garages and where you'll find workshops trucks. you won't have access to this unless you're a team member or a guest, or with a pitwalk ticket (and for this I'm not really sure)
then you have the 'plateau ABCD' where you'll find team hospitalities. This is free to access during qualifying. During the race, you can access with a pit grandstand ticket, simply because you have to cross this area to join your grandstand. If you don't have a pit grandstand ticket, then you need the 'acces plateau ABCD' ticket to get there, but then you won't have access to the pit grandstand.

why the name 'plateau ABCD' ? When you'll get there, just look at the giant stairs going to the pit grandstand : they're named A, B, C and D

is it worth the money? If you like to see the drivers, especially when they're out of their cars after a long relay or when they prepare to go driving, then this is a must have. Otherwise, you can drop it
Old 15 Mar 2003, 07:43 (Ref:536692)   #12
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Should we precise that Bernard is a Pit Grandstand addict ? he knows very well the place, beeing there each year...

But I'll say it's not worst it... to spot the pilots, you'll have to wait on the concrete places, seeing nothing (just earing the cars)... dully ! Dully because the teams mechanical facilities are often hidden under canevas things...

Up to you to make an idea between Bernard' opinion and mine... but I have to admit that he knows this special place much more than me
Old 15 Mar 2003, 14:04 (Ref:536933)   #13
gi_gav
Veteran

Scotland
Thanks for all the responses!!

The main reason i'm seeking a little something extra is for photographic opportunities.

For taking photos or getting a good view of the track, is it worth getting a ticket for the Welcome building?

Also, "ACCES LOGES ANNONCEURS/NIVEAUX 123 30,00 €" - where would this get me to?

Actually, I'm confused! I had been thinking that the Welcome building was the tall one next to the podium and the pit-lane entrance.

However, the "niveaux 1,2,3" (levels 1,2 and 3, am i right?) sounds more like this building.

Please excuse my ignorance, i've only been to Le Mans last year, and am getting very excited about going back!!

Hence all this rambling...

Thanks again
Old 15 Mar 2003, 15:45 (Ref:537017)   #14
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Pitwalk Ticket is what you need. It gives you virtually unrestricted access (except for the garages) all through the race, including access to a lot of good picture taking areas that other people cannot go. I have had one for two years and would never go again without it. At present it costs $750 Canadian which is a lot.
Old 15 Mar 2003, 16:04 (Ref:537044)   #15
gi_gav
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
At present it costs $750 Canadian which is a lot.
Certainly is, especially for a poor student like me!!
Old 15 Mar 2003, 16:08 (Ref:537053)   #16
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
Originally posted by gi_gav
Also, "ACCES LOGES ANNONCEURS/NIVEAUX 123 30,00 €" - where would this get me to?
Don't even think of it : you have to pay AND be a guest of a team... if you can't afford the pitwalk, try a pit grandstand ticket... that all you can do...
Old 15 Mar 2003, 19:38 (Ref:537287)   #17
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
At present it costs $750 Canadian which is a lot.

I'd have to give up a lot of good food and wine to afford that Liz.
Old 15 Mar 2003, 20:34 (Ref:537368)   #18
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
I started to save to pay it some day... I'm waiting for the new 'race of the century'...
Old 18 Mar 2003, 14:14 (Ref:540137)   #19
bigh
Racer

bigh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wouldn't call the pit lane grandstand a good photo opportunity, unlees you're in the front row, even then it's not exactly brilliant. You're better off in one of the grandstands opposite, along with a decent telephoto lens.
I still reckon the 'new' pits grandstand is a bit of a white elephant, it's very rarely full and doesn't really give you a view of much apart from the stretch of straight tarmac directly in front.
I must admit, I was addicted to the old grandstand, and managed to get a ticket for Block A, row A, seat 1 for the first year of the new pits grandstand, and what a disappointment it turned out to be. Is it sold out yet?
H
Old 18 Mar 2003, 14:34 (Ref:540157)   #20
gi_gav
Veteran

Scotland
It does indeed seem to be sold out. However, last year, it was pretty sparse, even near the start when other grandstands were packed to the gills!

This year i'll be in Tribune 04 (Nord Grandstand A-I, according to MRI). Anyone know what the view's like from here?

To cap all this discussion, are there any extra tickets that are actually worth buying in order to get a better (or different) view?

and what is the tall building next to the pit-lane entrance and the podium? Are tickets available for that, or is it a sponsors only affair?

Cheers
Old 18 Mar 2003, 14:43 (Ref:540168)   #21
bigh
Racer

gav,
You'll get a great view from 4, with cars diving on the inside to pass at the end of the pit straight, along with action on the pit exit, it's not unusual to see cars leaving the pits with parts of the garage equipment still attached.
Payment of a supplement will get you into the ACO area adjacent to the old press building, and you should get access there two hours after the race start. I'm not aware of any other areas that are worth buying into, your General Entry will take you most places, you'll have the trash fence to deal with as far as photos are concerned, but unless you get a press pass then.....that's life.
H
H
Old 18 Mar 2003, 14:52 (Ref:540185)   #22
gi_gav
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Originally posted by bigh

Payment of a supplement will get you into the ACO area adjacent to the old press building, and you should get access there two hours after the race start.
Is this available on the ACO website, and if so, do you happen to know what the ticket is called?

Really appreciate the tip, by the way
Old 18 Mar 2003, 14:55 (Ref:540189)   #23
bigh
Racer

Gav,
I believe you can pay the man at the gate!
H
Old 18 Mar 2003, 14:58 (Ref:540191)   #24
gi_gav
Veteran

Scotland
Sounds more than reasonable to me!!

However, i still don't know exactly where you're referring to! Could you explain it in relation to the pit-lane or grandstands?

Thanks, Gav
Old 18 Mar 2003, 15:27 (Ref:540229)   #25
bigh
Racer

The old press building is the squarish white structure at the end of the pit lane. (with limited rooftop viewing) It is at the bottom of a garden area along with a restaurant and bar, and access is through a turnstile-like gate in the village, next to the model shop:
H
Attached Thumbnails
press.jpg