Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 16 Mar 2003, 11:11 (Ref:537958)   #26
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Hey, I forgot : what about a great race again in Spa ?

And in Le Castelet (Paul Ricard) ?

And... huh...

Last edited by Fab; 16 Mar 2003 at 11:11.
Old 16 Mar 2003, 11:20 (Ref:537967)   #27
Chofar
Racer

Chofar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Like Fab i think it looks like the beginning of a new ACO-FIA war.
Playboy Ratel recently treated the ACO of "regional club" in an interview where he only mentioned prototypes as sparring partners for the GT's.
Old 16 Mar 2003, 12:09 (Ref:537991)   #28
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
paul ricard would be good...awesome new facility...a weekend in late august/early september appeals!
Old 16 Mar 2003, 12:41 (Ref:538012)   #29
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by kdr
paul ricard would be good...awesome new facility...a weekend in late august/early september appeals!
Remembers me the old Bol d'Or (24 hours bicycle race)... marvelous place, BTW...
Old 16 Mar 2003, 12:52 (Ref:538026)   #30
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i've seen the pictures fab..
Old 16 Mar 2003, 13:40 (Ref:538056)   #31
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by veeten
pirenzo doesn't seem to agree...
Darn right i don't agree. I can't think of a more miserable **** hole than Donington. **** facilities, **** weather, **** racing, **** everything

I've been there so many times and sat in the mud being soaked by the ****ing rain, freezing cold, watching a really **** race devoid of any exitement.
Old 16 Mar 2003, 13:42 (Ref:538058)   #32
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As i said above, Le Castellet would be a fantastic track to host a race, especially on the full circuit, and most of the teams test there anyway.
Old 16 Mar 2003, 15:37 (Ref:538129)   #33
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Does Paul Ricard still hold races, or is it exclusively used for testing now?
Old 16 Mar 2003, 15:38 (Ref:538131)   #34
weeks
Rookie

weeks should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
God, I pray that they televise this in the US.
I can't drive 55!
Old 16 Mar 2003, 15:47 (Ref:538140)   #35
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
veeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
who knows, maybe Ratel is looking to sell the lot of the SCC to the ACO in order to maintain the GT championship, as well as reducing the overhead on the FIA.
One less headache for them, and the sportscar championship will be in good hands. Not to mention the bringing together of all major markets under one umbrella, which will include the Asian/Pacific markets as well since there was some news about continuing talks with manufacturers, promoters and teams.

LeMans may once again become the focal point of all things Sportscar, with selected races in each series being a signature.
Old 16 Mar 2003, 16:04 (Ref:538151)   #36
Garrett
Racer

United States
Atlanta, Georgia
Garrett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Same here weeks, I hope Speed Channel will televise these races over in Europe.
Old 16 Mar 2003, 16:11 (Ref:538153)   #37
TVRfan
Racer

Wales
TVRfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
firstly i reckon it will be really good to see an aco series, the more races the better right? just needs someone to take the plunge and televise it and i reckon it could be a formula 1 beater, easily. secondly put it at donnie, in my opinion the best circuit in britain and the one that has the best racing, caught in the rain pirenzo? that happened to me everywhere last year, this is england remember
Old 16 Mar 2003, 17:45 (Ref:538203)   #38
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...

First of all, there is the news of Ouest France that Julien mentionned opening the thread :
http://www.lemans.maville.com/actu/D...62333&idCLA=53
I know, it's in french, but we can precise some things :
- Michel Cosson presented the project at Sebring yesterday, with the next President of ACO (Jean-Michel Plassard),
- Plassard seems to be a 'business' man (I mean not only a conservative man, only interrested by history),
- the project is in concurrence with FIA-SCC, officialy,
- let's face it : there will be a battle between ACO and FIA again.

Are planned : 4 to 6 races, including Japan later...

I just checked after posting this message : DSC gives some more precisions than Ouest France, I let you read them by yourself (and it's in english !), but it's coherent with Ouest France, Le Maine Libre (Le Mans paper), and David Legangneux reports.

I thing it will be a 'hot topic' in 2004, if ACO give birth to the thing. They could give it to a private firm, as Patrick Peter (Le Mans Classic manager).

To be continued !

Last edited by Fab; 16 Mar 2003 at 18:04.
Old 16 Mar 2003, 17:49 (Ref:538205)   #39
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
Originally posted by pirenzo
As i said above, Le Castellet would be a fantastic track to host a race, especially on the full circuit, and most of the teams test there anyway.
Quote:
Originally posted by Asp
Does Paul Ricard still hold races, or is it exclusively used for testing now?
The Paul Ricard track does'nt give place to races for the moment ; it's rented to private teams for tests.

I'm not optimistic on the possibility to have a race here. Maybe a new track is possible near Poitiers (250 km south of Le Mans), or Magny-Cours.

More reasonabily, I think there won't be another race in France, but more probabily : UK, Germany, Belgium, Italy, Spain, maybe Portugal...

Last edited by Fab; 16 Mar 2003 at 17:49.
Old 16 Mar 2003, 18:57 (Ref:538245)   #40
Chofar
Racer

Erm, Fab, i think you forget my home-track : Dijon
(held a race of the 98 FIA...)
It still lives and been fresh relooked by the snobeck-team.
Old 16 Mar 2003, 19:59 (Ref:538287)   #41
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Chofar
Like Fab i think it looks like the beginning of a new ACO-FIA war.
Playboy Ratel recently treated the ACO of "regional club" in an interview where he only mentioned prototypes as sparring partners for the GT's.

The FIA would do well to remember there were no winners in the last "war" between the FISA and the ACO back in the late 80's early 90's The ACO and Le Mans will always survive, simply because it is regarded by most (drivers, teams, entrants, sponsors - and most fans) as far more important than any other single race, and, indeed, more than any other series, for that matter.
Old 16 Mar 2003, 20:46 (Ref:538318)   #42
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
veeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And how about Clermont-Ferrand.
Old 16 Mar 2003, 21:11 (Ref:538352)   #43
Chofar
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
The FIA would do well to remember there were no winners in the last "war" between the FISA and the ACO back in the late 80's early 90's
I hope so, but in 1992, the ACO was very close to a defeat.
I think nowadays it would be a lot more difficult for the race to survive with no official support. Even the Porsche days of the 80's when no Tv was no longer interested seem to be unbelievable. The outside world have changed, even the poor old track has changed, poor Dunlop bridge, he is the only reminder of the good days on that part of the track.

The ACO must take the Ratel menace very seriously
Old 17 Mar 2003, 08:01 (Ref:538645)   #44
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Is Clermont-Ferrand still in use? *awaits slap over the head for being so stupid*
Old 17 Mar 2003, 08:03 (Ref:538647)   #45
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
If only the ACO and FIA would launch this together - it could be really big.
Old 17 Mar 2003, 08:07 (Ref:538651)   #46
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Mal
If only the ACO and FIA would launch this together - it could be really big.
But sadly I can not see that happening for the reason outlined above.
Old 17 Mar 2003, 08:11 (Ref:538654)   #47
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Agreed, but weve seen too many times over the years how two rival series can destroy each other. The FIA should realise that the sportscar world has, does and always will focus around LeMans, and they should embrace that and make something from it. Dream on, I guess!
Old 17 Mar 2003, 10:00 (Ref:538707)   #48
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
Erm, Fab, i think you forget my home-track : Dijon
(held a race of the 98 FIA...)
It still lives and been fresh relooked by the snobeck-team.
Glad to hear you're from la Bourgogne (my favourite place for wines, and I have to go there to buy some !). Don't forget to precise it in your profile

And yes, I forgot it, and would like to see a race here !

Quote:
Originally posted by veeten
And how about Clermont-Ferrand.
The track name is "Charade" ; not very much in use, and if it is, only for classic races... or is there any other informations about it ?

Easier to go to Dijon than to Clermont-Ferrand, I'm afraid...
Old 17 Mar 2003, 10:11 (Ref:538723)   #49
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
The FIA would do well to remember there were no winners in the last "war" between the FISA and the ACO back in the late 80's early 90's The ACO and Le Mans will always survive, simply because it is regarded by most (drivers, teams, entrants, sponsors - and most fans) as far more important than any other single race, and, indeed, more than any other series, for that matter.
Quote:
I hope so, but in 1992, the ACO was very close to a defeat.
I think nowadays it would be a lot more difficult for the race to survive with no official support. Even the Porsche days of the 80's when no Tv was no longer interested seem to be unbelievable. The outside world have changed, even the poor old track has changed, poor Dunlop bridge, he is the only reminder of the good days on that part of the track.

The ACO must take the Ratel menace very seriously
As Ayse, I think Le Mans will survive ; after the catastrophical 1993 year, ACO will resist to everything. There always will be a 24 hours race on the track, whatever could happend elsewhere...

But, as Chofar, I think that FIA has absoloutely no interrest in a 'strong ACO championship' : FIA seems looking for a 'containment' of sporstcar in a small size area, to attract money and TV on F1. And ACO is a threaten...

Could Ratel and ACO have a deal ? Very doubtful... the logics are opposite... The teams will decide for them : if the main teams go to Le Mans Tournament, FIA-SCC will die by itself. If no real great team choose the Le Mans Tournament, this one won't live...
Old 17 Mar 2003, 13:08 (Ref:538863)   #50
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Le Mans has a the name that the teams want to win, there are already other 24hr races across the world.
Le Mans is the race that is associated by the public with sportcars and therefore the most important.