Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 25 Mar 2003, 14:12 (Ref:547528)   #1
iucrmh
Racer

iucrmh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dyson MGs not at Le Mans

Sadly I have just seen it reported at www.dailysportscar.net (where there are more details) that the Dyson MGs are foregoing this years Le Mans to concentrate on development of the car. Unfortunate, as it is certainly quick enough to be right up there, but there is still a certain fragility.

Last edited by iucrmh; 25 Mar 2003 at 14:13.
Old 25 Mar 2003, 14:14 (Ref:547530)   #2
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That's a great shame. I was looking forward to seeing them. They've got some good drivers contracted, I wonder if they'll find berths elsewhere?
Old 25 Mar 2003, 14:16 (Ref:547532)   #3
iucrmh
Racer

iucrmh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
That's a great shame. I was looking forward to seeing them. They've got some good drivers contracted, I wonder if they'll find berths elsewhere?
I hope so, you can't have Le Mans without Andy Wallace, surely.
Old 25 Mar 2003, 14:24 (Ref:547540)   #4
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
QUICK!!!

Somebody call Jim Matthews, so he can sign at least two of the Dyson drivers (Wallace and "Take your Pick")before someone else does it first

Both had driven the R&S MkIIIC in the early development years, and now that it has been improved, they might take a "one race spin" in the updated car...

Goosens can't be cloned in time for June, and he needs others with his talent to join that team to make them fast all of the time at Le Mans -- not just when he is in the car...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 25 Mar 2003, 14:36 (Ref:547547)   #5
Speeddemon555
Veteran

Speeddemon555 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's unfortunate, I guess they saw what happen with mechanical problems in the 16 and 20 teams during the 12 hours of Sebring. Those 675 cars are the worst in durability.
Old 25 Mar 2003, 14:37 (Ref:547550)   #6
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Instead of "Take your Pick":

Definitely call Wallace & Weaver...

Goosens, Wallace, Weaver & J.Matthews (just to get some laps, because you know he'll still want to drive at LM)...

Sounds like a solid lineup to me!!!!

Old 25 Mar 2003, 14:43 (Ref:547558)   #7
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Aww man!

Stupid fragile British cars... *grumble* *gripe*

And don't forget Leitziger, Tim!

Last edited by Lee Janotta; 25 Mar 2003 at 14:48.
Old 25 Mar 2003, 14:44 (Ref:547559)   #8
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well, that's just sad. What a lineup that would have been.

Now we're down to two MGs possible (including the semifactory one). I don't mind cheering for Intersport, though.

You've also got Leitzinger, and the whole #20 crew (who were already available), which are pretty fine racers, too.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 25 Mar 2003, 15:44 (Ref:547611)   #9
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Good Lord! I DID forget Leitzinger!!!

Maybe Jim should sign the trhee of them to go with Goosens and sit this one out!!!

Old 25 Mar 2003, 16:21 (Ref:547664)   #10
Try Hard
Veteran

China
Taicang
Try Hard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
shame, but i can see why, was hoping to see thoose little blue and white guys race head to head with the big boys in the flesh, now i'l have to wait unitl 04 :P
Old 25 Mar 2003, 16:52 (Ref:547688)   #11
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What sort of commitment do you think Jon Field has to Duncan Dayton and Michael Durand?
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 25 Mar 2003, 16:52 (Ref:547689)   #12
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
04 may be too late, alot of new rules and new teams(hopefully) & some old ones coming back for 04.
I doubt that another year going by will make the MG last 24hrs.
Old 25 Mar 2003, 17:44 (Ref:547723)   #13
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This is really bad new hope news, hopefully some will give Andy Wallace a drive - Lister?
Old 25 Mar 2003, 18:05 (Ref:547738)   #14
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
There has to be no doubt in anyone's minds that the Dyson drivers -- especially Wallace, Weaver and Leitzinger -- would be picked up by someone looking to round out their driver lineups for LM....that's just too much talent to be left sitting on the outside looking in...

I just hope that they get picked up by contenders....I'd hate to see talent like that sitting in a car that goes out in the first hour, or driving an inferior piece of equipment that runs as a back marker regardless of who is driving it...even if the ghosts of Jimmy Clark, Juan Fangio and Mark Donohue were behind the wheel...

Old 25 Mar 2003, 18:19 (Ref:547749)   #15
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Northcutt
Goosens, Wallace, Weaver & J.Matthews (just to get some laps, because you know he'll still want to drive at LM)...
Not allowed, Tim - only 3 drivers at Le Mans (unlike Daytona, where there are routinely more than 3). Either Jim is a full driver or not.

-Bill James
Old 25 Mar 2003, 18:39 (Ref:547774)   #16
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
It's indeed a great great shame that the Dyson MG is missing for the race in LMP 675...

That's making more urgent the outgoing of the definitive entry list...
Old 25 Mar 2003, 20:02 (Ref:547889)   #17
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by paul-collins
What sort of commitment do you think Jon Field has to Duncan Dayton and Michael Durand?
These guys likely help pay the bills. Probably not a good idea to **** off the guys who pay the bills, though it would be a good idea to add a fourth driver who has tons of experience and can help your program.
Old 26 Mar 2003, 01:50 (Ref:548234)   #18
Chevyguy
Racer

Chevyguy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I beleive Leitzinger and Wallace are already there. Weaver has shown to be disinterested in Le Mans, remember original Bentley line-up? Butch and Andy will be there with someone, don't you worry.

"No matter where you go, there you are"-Pigkiller
Old 26 Mar 2003, 02:17 (Ref:548239)   #19
danhx
Racer

danhx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As much as it saddens me, i believe that Dyson Racing has made the right decision. They know full well that their little pocket rocket will grenade after a few hours, and since they know that discretion is the better part of valor they've opted to test and work on their reliability. They probably could have qualified in the top 6, but what's that worth if you're packed and ready to fly home before the 12 hour mark? They'll have a lot of valuable testing time for the back half of the season, and hopefully they'll be able to cure the power steering problems along with all the other little details that are hampering the car's progress. If totally sorted out they would be a serious threat to the Joest jugernaut.
Old 26 Mar 2003, 07:34 (Ref:548363)   #20
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Chevyguy
Weaver has shown to be disinterested in Le Mans, remember original Bentley line-up?
I believe this was disinterest in Bentley, and the way that programme was run, more than anything else.

Anyway, Dyson has indicated they want to give it another go in 2004, and I hope we will see them in Europe then. A team such as this is an asset to any endurance race.
Old 26 Mar 2003, 08:19 (Ref:548389)   #21
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Chevyguy
Butch and Andy will be there with someone, don't you worry.
Its almost inconceivable that these two would not pick up a decent ride at Le Mans. (I still regard it as folly of the highest order for Bentley not to retain Andy for this year. He is every bit as good as anyone on their squad - IMO).
Old 26 Mar 2003, 14:12 (Ref:548756)   #22
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
Quote:
Originally posted by cybersdorf
I believe this (Weaver's disinterest) was disinterest in Bentley, and the way that programme was run, more than anything else.
It was specifically Bentley's refusal to put pressure sensors on the tires, and immediately in the wake of Michele Alboreto's testing death due to a deflating tire on an Audi (after which Audi put the same sensors on all their cars).

Weaver has indeed raced at Le Mans previously - 1983-91 and 95-99, in all kinds of equipment (956, 962s, a C9, a 717, a C200, a March 85G, an XJ220, a Mclaren F1, a Panoz GTR, a Porsche LMP (!), and the R8C). Best finish - 2nd in 1985, in the 956.

Participating 14 times is an odd way to show disinterest.

-Bill James
Old 26 Mar 2003, 17:47 (Ref:548966)   #23
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Absolutely right. You can hardly say that James is disinterested in a race he has driven many many times. Certainly his disinterest in the Bentley was the result of safety concerns.
Old 26 Mar 2003, 17:53 (Ref:548977)   #24
danhx
Racer

danhx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If someone was disinterested in Le Mans they would not be racing sportscars. That's like racing Indy Cars but opting out of the Indy 500.
Old 26 Mar 2003, 22:05 (Ref:549319)   #25
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
There is at least one driver -- Paul Tracy -- who will probably do exactly that in Indy Cars...but then again, he got screwed last year at Indy...

You do make an excellent point...if you're in this form of racing, this is your "World Cup," "World Series," "Super Bowl," "British Open, " etc....

No way he is "disinterested"...disappointed maybe, but not disinterested....