Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 30 Apr 2003, 07:41 (Ref:584642)   #1
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Le Mans Tournament : with FIA ?

SpiritOf reports that a gentleman agrement could be found for 2004 regarding the prototypes races : talks are still running, but the gossips say that people involved are optimistic...
Old 30 Apr 2003, 07:56 (Ref:584648)   #2
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Well, let's hope so; though, frankly, past dealings between the ACO and the FIA have been characterised by anything but 'gentlemanliness'.
Old 30 Apr 2003, 09:09 (Ref:584705)   #3
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i have a feeling the fia sees the gpwc as a threat to their f1 money making machine...and are now more conducive to other sports within the motorsports fold.

fia's slight softening towards sportscars, and bernies involvement in cart perhaps offer some pointers.
Old 30 Apr 2003, 10:16 (Ref:584776)   #4
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Sounds good, but I'll beleive it when I see it!
Old 30 Apr 2003, 11:53 (Ref:584889)   #5
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Mal
Sounds good, but I'll beleive it when I see it!
Ditto
Old 30 Apr 2003, 13:42 (Ref:585037)   #6
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've been very critical of the FIA in recent threads...

However, I'll give them credit...their rules and the ACO's for 2004 are fairly close to the same, with a few exceptions....

It would ultimately strengthen the FIA Series to come to a "gentleman's agreement" on this issue....

It will be easier for FIA-SCC teams to secure sponsorships if they have the access and the options to run "LM Tournament" events as well as the FIA schedule....

Maybe M. Ratel does have his act together...even though their website STILL isn't up and running yet...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 5 May 2003, 10:02 (Ref:589892)   #7
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
The ACO sunday meeting...

We have a full report of the ACO sunday meeting in SpiritOf. I'll try to translate some parts, you'll find the complete news in your favourite sites...

In the purpose to promote and keep on to develop the 44 Hours, ACO confirms its intentions of create (or beeing involved in) a european endurance serie. The ALMS is taken for model. The 24 hours will stay out of any championship, but will be the climax of the American and European series.

Selections modes will change. In 2004, 24 teams will have to win their entry on the tracks for the 2005 edition : 8 for ALMS, 8 for European serie, 8 during 2004 LM race (two teams for each category = 8 cars for each championship).

The 26 other teams will be guest on their hability, as nowadays.

To launch the thing, a very first race will occur in 2003. Where ? Nobody knows yet.

This race will give for 2004 12 entries to the 24 Hours (three for each category).

This year, 24 cars will win their entry on the track for 2004 : the class winners of LM, Small LM, and ALMS championship.

An agreement should be found before June with a society to promote the whole thing.

The 26 other cars should be determined in November, instead of March nowadays, so much earlier than before.

About the relationships between ACO and FIA, Michel Cosson said "f we can do some things together, useful for the community, why not trying to do them ?"

And at last : Don Panoz will give the start of the 2003 edition.

Copyright of those news : SpiritOf
Old 5 May 2003, 15:27 (Ref:590088)   #8
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The fact that 2 entries per category, rather than the expected 1, in the new LM Trophy as well as ALMS bodes very well for strong grids in these series. I'm particularly hopefull for the European series as being only four round long it could be very attractive to European teams such as Audi UK, Bentley, PK Sport, TVR, Morgan, Spyker, RN, RFH, Pescarolo etc. to guarantee an LM entry without having to travel to the ALMS.

Who knows Joest may even be persuaded to come back to Europe.
Old 5 May 2003, 15:37 (Ref:590107)   #9
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This sounds like the best of both worlds in my book...

Teams are rewarded for their performances on the track in designated "Big" races, plus the ACO has the flexibility to invite others, including new teams, prototypes, etc, to add more variety to the field...

Things on papee sound great...hope they can make it work

Old 5 May 2003, 15:46 (Ref:590112)   #10
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Northcutt
This sounds like the best of both worlds in my book...

Teams are rewarded for their performances on the track in designated "Big" races, plus the ACO has the flexibility to invite others, including new teams, prototypes, etc, to add more variety to the field...

Things on papee sound great...hope they can make it work
Couldn't agree more. When you think about it, its a wonder the system was not but in place previously. Awarding teams LM places based on there performance over a season rather than one of races. As I have said the fact that the Euro seaon is only 4 race races long could attract many teams, including those who will supplement there FIA GT programs.
Old 5 May 2003, 18:38 (Ref:590219)   #11
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
! NO!!!!!
Old 5 May 2003, 21:13 (Ref:590357)   #12
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Could you elaborate on that, Pirenzo....

The announcement made over the weekend seems like a good approach to me...

Unless their invites for the other 26 go to dogs like Team Sezio, who have no business being there...

I'll wait until they release further details, but on the surface, it is smart...earning opportunities to get to LM via your performance on the track will make thse races well-attended...don't have to worry about the "politics" that many others feel (although I'm not ne of them) exists in the invite process if the team can make the podium in their class....

I anxiously await your thoughts (as we all do)...

Old 5 May 2003, 21:48 (Ref:590398)   #13
JAG
Veteran

England
Invites will also be announced in November rather than March/April. Will give teams time to plan there season.
Old 6 May 2003, 06:35 (Ref:590573)   #14
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...

Quote:
Originally posted by pirenzo
! NO!!!!!
Beg your pardon ?
Old 6 May 2003, 07:00 (Ref:590586)   #15
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sorry.

I fear for sportscars that's all. The FIA haven't exactly been kind.

It just all seems rather too good to be true. I dunno really, it just seems wrong for the FIA to team up on this with the ACO.

I get the most ridiculous feeling that we're being lulled into a false sense of security, and that the FIA will build this up, and then quash it in favour of a resergent Formula 1.
Old 6 May 2003, 08:37 (Ref:590646)   #16
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...

Even if all the story doesn't lead to a real championship, ACO protected the 24 Hours : the race won't be included in it.

For the rest, we'll see in time. But it's the first positive step for a long time between FIA and ACO. And it may give us back the great sportscar factories, at least Porsche, but a Japanese one too. And what to think about Maserati and Aston Martin ?

A new area is opening, we'll see if it's a fair one, but can't be worst than the 92-94 period... and we have now real expectations for LM 2004.
Old 6 May 2003, 15:22 (Ref:591105)   #17
JAG
Veteran

England
Don't forget this is an ACO series in which the FIA will tag along. The FIA is very differnt from the dark days of the 80s and early 90s when they had total control of international motorsport and F1 was all they cared aboout.

Now the EU has done at least one good thing and stamped down on the power of the FIA and their mix of sport and business interests.

The FIA is now, in theory, a sport only organisation giving control of series to others such as David Richards in the WRC, Ratel in FIA GT/FIA SCC while the ACO do there own thing. The FIA may even lose control of F1 if its not careful.

Finally when people complain about the state of sportscars I have to remind them about the state of sportscars from late 91 to 95. When I started going to motorsport events at this time there were no top class sportscar races outside of LM and I had to wait for 1995 the Empire Trophy at Silverstone before I manged to see a top class sportscar event after following sportscars from the late eighties.

Last edited by JAG; 6 May 2003 at 15:25.
Old 6 May 2003, 16:02 (Ref:591153)   #18
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Points well-made, Fab & JAG:

One other note....the FIA could also run their own series as well, on dates that won't conflict with the LM Tournamnet dates, and even count those points toward their own championship if they want to...can't they???

It would not be a conflict of interest to do so and teams that currently run in whatever FIA (SCC or GT)Series could run a total of 8-10 dates, including the LM Tournamnet races...

Their rules packages for 2004 are fairly similar, at least in the Prototype categories....

Is this correct, or am I in left field on this one???

Old 6 May 2003, 16:39 (Ref:591206)   #19
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
OK guys. I see. Well, i still can't completely accept it, but if it is beneficial for both sides, then it's only right that it should go ahead, if of course things ever get that far.
Old 6 May 2003, 17:29 (Ref:591259)   #20
JAG
Veteran

England
I think 4 races in Europe is just right. Add LM, PLM and Sebring for those who want more endurace races for there LMPs or GTs. Otherwise GT teams could run some FIA GT races.
Old 6 May 2003, 18:47 (Ref:591344)   #21
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
I like the concept, JAG, but if I were investing in a racing program in Europe, I'd want to run a car more than 5 times in a year, not only for my own cost-effectiveness, but also for my sponsors...

I have never understood the spending of millions for a "Le Mans Only" program, and although 4 other dates with the Sebring and Petit options is attractive, there are teams that still wouldn't be able to afford the two Trans-Atlantic trips...Pescarolo and RfH don't travel now for Petit or Sebring...and I don't think that would change with the Tournament package being the only racing available in Europe...

It is the only reason why I'd like to see the FIA-SCC schedule a few non-conflicting dates to help those teams sell a better package to their sponsors....let the FIA count the Tournament races as part of their own series points, etc...it would be better for the teams to do it that way so that they secure $$$ to run...

Old 6 May 2003, 18:55 (Ref:591356)   #22
JAG
Veteran

England
As the new races are intended to be 4 hours + they will be able to use 3 drivers and raise some more money. It all helps I suppose.
Old 6 May 2003, 19:09 (Ref:591378)   #23
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
At least from a Marketing & PR perspective, sponsors look as much at the frequency of their exposures as they do in the "big event" visibility when they spend their $$$$...you will have a few "Le Mans Only" sponsors, but most want to get the most bang for their buck....

Offering them an 8-10 race sponsor package throughout Europe would be a better sell than a 4 race for sure and possibly 5 (if you make LM or get an invite) package for a sponsor...and you could ask for bigger $$$$ from them.....

Your fixed costs of retaining your team crews and drivers and running your shop are going to be there regardless of how many races you run...but the over-ground transporting in Europe and the costs of three or four more races via the FIA would not be that expensive when compared to what you could make from it via more $$$ from the sponsors, who will broaden their exposure in 3-4 other countries or large European metropolitan markets....

I do agree that the 3rd driver helps, but his contribution wouldn't be as lucrative as the sponsor cash, and you would get that 3rd driver money anyway by the way LM and the Tournament will be set up...

Old 6 May 2003, 19:17 (Ref:591384)   #24
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
It's good news that FIA and ACO team up (or have the intention) to organize a championship. We all know that prototype racing is not very succesfull in Europe. I think this championship can attract more teams, sponsors and media attention.
My only concern is that this championship will damage FIA GT. Teams like Carsport or BMS have the money to run both series but the smaller teams don't have. They will choose the new championship because of the prospect of Le Mans. It would be a pity if FIA GT will become a second-rate championship.

I think there is no future for FIASCC if this new championship becomes reality. I hope teams like Pescarolo and RfH will run in this new championship, LM, PLM instead of LM and FIASCC.
Old 6 May 2003, 19:22 (Ref:591392)   #25
JAG
Veteran

England
The fact Ratel is involve in the LM trophy means the FIA SCC is no more. As he also runs FIA GT and wants to keep this series strong I'm sure a compromise has been reached that suits most people.

At least were heading in the right direction for a change.