Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 31 Jul 2005, 23:51 (Ref:1368647)   #1
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Allmendinger...

What is the deal with AJ (beyond the obvious) and what can he and his team do about it. I've never heard a driver say such negative things about themself and I've certainly not heard someone say such stuff twice. Does RuSport need an onstaff psychiatrist? Maybe just Tony Cicale (engineer/shrink)? Guys such as PT and CDM were among people who also hit the wall at the ludicrous turn 4, which had an unsuitable exit and apparently had a bunch of dirt or perhaps oil on the track.
Old 1 Aug 2005, 05:50 (Ref:1368735)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think bringing in a sports psychologist may be a good idea.
Old 1 Aug 2005, 08:50 (Ref:1368836)   #3
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I never saw a driver being so hard on himself. On one side it's refreshing to see someone not trying to blame anything else, but it's almost unhealthy...
Old 1 Aug 2005, 13:58 (Ref:1369191)   #4
mp356a
Veteran

United States
SE PA USA
mp356a should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He is young and had a couple bad races. No doubt Jeremy Dale will have a chat with him and all will be well. His confidence is just a little shaken right now. I'd bet by the end of the race, after so many others bumped the wall, he was already reconsidering his remarks.
My opinion.
Mike
Old 1 Aug 2005, 14:07 (Ref:1369197)   #5
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

One of the biggest parts of a drivers success is confidence. The state he is in his he is in a time when you keep on crashing and you can't improve from what is going on as you then feel worse and feel is it really worth what is doing? and feels sorry for the team who put in the hard work.
He can get over this, he just needs the right people around him, needs to let things go move on take it as a new start to the season, move on and just be incredibley foucussed.
Ron Dennis said the only thing you can teach a driver is foucus.
He is in a great team and I am sure they will use the two week break to their advantage.
He will use this as experince and afterwards looking back he will probably not do it again.
These 3 errors have been small ones but unfortunately resulted in big ones.
Old 1 Aug 2005, 17:09 (Ref:1369403)   #6
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I don't see how blaming yourself for mistakes that are clearly your fault can be regarded as unhealthy.

It's nice to see someone with honesty, something often missing in sports personalities, let alone racers.

AJ has the talent and he'll get there. No worries.
Old 1 Aug 2005, 23:29 (Ref:1369739)   #7
trout
Rookie

Canada
Winnipeg. Manitoba
trout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Honesty was nice initially. Now you have to worry about what is inside the helmet. I like AJ but this self deprecating approach could ruin his career. I hope he does get help because if he gets timid he will lose the edge.
Old 2 Aug 2005, 11:47 (Ref:1370056)   #8
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He's said things in the heat of the moment, and just needed to go home, think and assess in more detail in a calmer setting without people tryign to get information from him. Happens to everyone. I guess Justin's pace has unsettled AJ a little, and the fact that there is mroe expectation adn thus more pressure this year, but he'll get through it.
Old 2 Aug 2005, 12:02 (Ref:1370067)   #9
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the team need to step between AJ and the press in the heat of the moment, and when he is calmer, explain to him how to deal with the question 'What happened?' Andrew Ranger was outraged in Edmonton and not happy in San Jose, but his press comments were rational and (although clearly unhappy) not head-smacking.

Tony Cicale or his surrogate are also very much needed to talk to AJ during the race and give him a mental hand to hold until he achieves the success that will get his confidence back up.

But the immediate need is to keep him from talking to the press until he has calmed down and been given a few 'talking points' by the team. Otherwise he's going to implode.
Old 2 Aug 2005, 14:17 (Ref:1370175)   #10
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Paul Tracy used to make mistakes all the time and still be fast..

He'll get over it, he is a great talent IMO, just needs someone to focus him, as said by luke. He will win races, and maybe even the champoinship soon.

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 2 Aug 2005, 16:23 (Ref:1370257)   #11
racinthestreets
Racer

racinthestreets should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Back from San Jose. Don't forget that AJ had additional pressure being billed as the home town driver. Him and Jimmy Vasser - but, AJ was the one that the local media were most reporting. Things like "AJ, have you ever driven down these streets at these speeds?" He drove well enough to qualify fourth. Maybe qualifying 8th or worse would have allowed him the luxury of not feeling the pressure to be on the home town podium. That turn 4 corner where he and others (including PT) made contact with the concrete barrier was slippery. They had used a concrete patch on Saturday night that was more sand than concrete and was like getting into the marbles. After viewing that section of the track on Sunday night, it is really impressive that more cars did not make contact with the barrier. I agree with Liz, let the driver cool down before he takes questions. I believe he will be fine. We had the pleasure of seeing him at dinner in Edmonton on Sunday night where he was in good spirits and again in Edmonton on Monday morning at the airport - he was talkative and looking forward to San Jose. I think Justin is a positive for AJ and the team - they push each other as they did as rookies on different teams last year. IMO.
Old 2 Aug 2005, 22:57 (Ref:1370628)   #12
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He is a good driver and since PT is his mentor perhaps he can take him aside and explain how to deal with the pressure a little better. I like him and I am concerned that he will give himself a bad reputation by focusing the press on "What will AJ do to screw up this week?" and not the positive things he does. I remember the weekend Greg Moore was killed and a reporter was ryint to talk to Montoya, who was visibly distraught -- about the race -- and Ganassi jumped in front of him to say "We have nothing to say right now." Maybe Mr. Russo could do that for AJ for a couple of races.
Old 2 Aug 2005, 23:54 (Ref:1370661)   #13
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think AJ has the speed to do well, but is a bit accident prone. But he's still only a second year driver - albeit one under pressure from a quick team-mate. He might not be #1 in the team any more, but he seems to have their support and long may that continue.