Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 13 Sep 2005, 06:11 (Ref:1406333)   #1
Onlooker
Veteran

Onlooker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2006 TV Deals

Word around sandown was that only V8's , Development Series ,Carrera Cup and Formula Ford will be getting any coverage in 2006. Is this the begining of the end for the Utes,Aussie Cars and the Lotus Cup. The source was quite adament that there would simply be no TV footage available for these class's so looks like a few sponsors will be off tot eh FF or Cup Cars in 2006

"Montoya made some last minute changes to his suspension but it seemed to effect it's handling"-Classic
Old 13 Sep 2005, 06:49 (Ref:1406347)   #2
Spunky
Racer

Spunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep and giving themselves (V8's) extra time!
Old 13 Sep 2005, 07:03 (Ref:1406354)   #3
windsok
Rookie

Australia
wollongong.nsw.au
windsok should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hope not, I find Lotus Trophy and Aussie Racing Cars more interesting than V8 Supercars most of the time!
Old 13 Sep 2005, 08:56 (Ref:1406458)   #4
Silent Number
Racer

Silent Number should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
that is becoz they are going to foxtel away from ch 10
Old 13 Sep 2005, 09:24 (Ref:1406487)   #5
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The golden rule applies... those with the gold make the rules....
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 13 Sep 2005, 11:40 (Ref:1406579)   #6
Onlooker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Number
that is becoz they are going to foxtel away from ch 10
Ahh the word is that they will have to film there own footage then, when I say no footage will be available, I mean none to on sell. Not by 10 anyway, so unless SBS come and set up there own camera's they will not have access to any film

"Montoya made some last minute changes to his suspension but it seemed to effect it's handling"-Classic
Old 14 Sep 2005, 05:33 (Ref:1407267)   #7
BB4718
Rookie

Australia
BB4718 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IF this is true it will be an outrage! I can understand why AVESCO would do it but I don't think its fair at all. No tv coverage means bugger all sponsorship. As we all know, no sponsorship = no racing! I for one intend to do whatever I can to fight this if its true.
Old 14 Sep 2005, 05:43 (Ref:1407273)   #8
lcfp2297
Racer

Australia
lcfp2297 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IS this AVESCO, or is it the Home of Motorsport acting on ratings (or lack thereof)?

Some people around here are far too quick to throw rocks from their glasshouses...
Old 14 Sep 2005, 05:59 (Ref:1407281)   #9
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcfp2297
Some people around here are far too quick to throw rocks from their glasshouses...
If this does come to fruition, I will be more than happy to throw stones at whoever is responsible!
Old 14 Sep 2005, 06:08 (Ref:1407286)   #10
Oaksnaf
Veteran

Australia
Oaksnaf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am all for an expansion on speedweek. Get SBS to host a motorsport show that just doesn't show highlights or the whole race. Get a show which discusses the lower forms of motorsport, a combination of In Pit Lane (but more professional) and Speedweek in my opinion would bring a lot of local motorsports together.

I mean since when have Channel 10 had Phil Ward on to discuss the Aussie Racing Cars? Since when have they interviewed one of the greats in local motorsport Mort Fitzgerald. What about Asher Johnston from Formula Vee.

An hour and a half show or even two one hour shows each week on SBS about "other motorsports" and discussing the local scene within Australia such as Formula 3, GT production and the likes.

In my opinion, we need a motorsport show to respect the lower categories, and not film selected races because of politics.
Old 14 Sep 2005, 07:34 (Ref:1407327)   #11
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does SpeedWeek rate?

Do the Historic guys fund their own filming?
Old 14 Sep 2005, 07:44 (Ref:1407334)   #12
Oaksnaf
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavvy
Does SpeedWeek rate?

Do the Historic guys fund their own filming?
Categories which are shown on TV on Speedweek pay for that coverage. Its not Speedweek which chooses. Same with In Pit Lane, only certian categories pay for their coverage on the show, and if the others dont, they dont get air time.

So it is very much a case of funding their own filming. Nothing comes free. And if it does, there is always a catch.
Old 14 Sep 2005, 08:24 (Ref:1407369)   #13
cavvy
Veteran

Thanks Oak, but does Speedweek rate, i.e could it attract sponsorship based on those ratings?
Old 14 Sep 2005, 08:59 (Ref:1407411)   #14
Oaksnaf
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavvy
Thanks Oak, but does Speedweek rate, i.e could it attract sponsorship based on those ratings?
Most of the sponsorship is coming from internally as since Speedweek is basically NSW the categories there have pulled it from their own pockets rather than external sponsorship.

Can it attract external sponsors? Im not too sure.
Old 16 Sep 2005, 06:29 (Ref:1409032)   #15
Onlooker
Veteran

I think the issue is wheather a deal has been done to restrict the footage, as it is all great to have SBS, but I cant see them setting up along side the Channel 10 camer's to film the "aussie car rolling show" or the lotus " Crash and Bash"

Old 16 Sep 2005, 06:44 (Ref:1409038)   #16
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When last years Commodore Cup was shown over Summer earlier this year on Foxtel, it featured footage from both AVESCO and Premier Series events from 2004, which didn't seem to cause too much of a fuss.
Old 16 Sep 2005, 06:45 (Ref:1409039)   #17
cavvy
Veteran

It'd make commercial sense for Ten to recover costs by recording other races on a program, unless they are paid not to - who would pay?
Old 16 Sep 2005, 06:50 (Ref:1409042)   #18
GROUPA
Racer

GROUPA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One of the best car shows on TV was shown on C31 with Dieter Kashnitz on The C Word....it was a good show catering to all sorts, bikes, cars hell he even questioned a car park attendent.

One of his better shows was on Mitsubishi on last years Rally of Melbourne....this was top class with good laughs as well...he has now moved on to The Car Show on C9....hope his style does as well.

IMO SBS Speedweek is great with the variety of bikes, cars, boats club cars etc....the grass roots of racing....C10 calls itself the home of motorsport...frankly they have been giving us lip service....Mr Basketball or sport of the month Bill Woods is useless...Rusty seems to have the mikey taken out of him all the time...remember the Shanghai Kung Fu part.....Diffey is the worst commentator...if you call call screaming into a microphone commenatating.....Beattie IMO is good....he shows some arrogance...but lets face it...with his talent he has every right to be arrogant.

Crompton is by far the best...he has learnt alot from the old C7 days and red jacket and his years of driving serve him well in the commentary box...pity he is not driving anymore...he is an excellent long distance driver.

Trackside seems to be slapped together...they have done a poor attempt with the Brutes Wade Auger on Speedweek was excellent even though he moved across it was not the same.

When Trackside has the current drivers there input is great...C10 should do this more often rather than waiting for one to dropout during Bathurst.

C10 should not drop Trackside..if anything they should drop V8 superstars and add some excitment to RPM...it is a boring format...the interviews are poor along with the host.

I tend to want to listen to someone that has actually done something on the black stuff...thats my I cant stand Diffey and Woods...at least Rusty had a crack at Aussie Legends.

Trackside could also cover Dutton Rally, GP Rally and other events E30 racing, Porsche 944, Improved Production.

They could put it on @ 2am it would be watched or taped unlike Gunter Rinke or what ever that home shopping crap is.

Bring back Peter Wherret...but no cross dressing...Torque was a great show
Old 16 Sep 2005, 10:11 (Ref:1409167)   #19
Oaksnaf
Veteran

Australia
Yes the Porsche 994 endurace race at Winton should hopefully get a tiny mention, just because its something different to the norm for the category. AT least a mention on Trackside.

But thats the problem. Too few shows. Some just show race meetings. Some dont have enough time. And some stick to the same format only showing what is worth money to them, ie: V8's, F1's, WRC etc.

There is room for more motorsport shows or a combination of factors thats for sure.
Old 17 Sep 2005, 17:17 (Ref:1410011)   #20
racer55555
Rookie

racer55555 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Guys this has all to do with the new AFL TV Deal and the ratings from Trackside. The sad thing is that FF and Cup Car will get a chance due to money.

Whether you like Lotus trophy,Utes, Aussie Cars, and Historics these categories have paid a fortune to be on the V8 program. There TV deals allowed AVESCO to not pay for the HPDC TV over the past 5 years.Its not AVESCO's fault, that Ten do not have the minutes available.

What is wrong about this situationan the implications for all the drivers, teams and sponsors that are involved in the other categories, is that the new deal stops the footage being purchased by the category managers and shown on another network or program.

The Australian Motorsport Industry risks losing hundres of employees, drivers, teams, categories and most important sponsors if categories are not allowed to broadcast their races on other networks.

Everyone has to get behind these categories to ensure that Australia gets to see the varying and wonderful categories that we have in motorsport.

No matter whether you like or dislike V8's, FF, Cup Car, Lotus Trophy, Aussie Cars, Historics, Comm Cup, or whether you like or dislike people such as Tony Chocrane, Jamie Blackey, Paul Pickett and Phil Ward, Australian Motorsport has some of the most diverse, proffesional and exciting racing categories.

Its up to each and every motorsport fan to let CAMS, TEN and AVESCO know that we as the viewer and paying customer want to choose who we want to watch at the track and at home.
Old 17 Sep 2005, 22:17 (Ref:1410110)   #21
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer55555

Its up to each and every motorsport fan to let CAMS, TEN and AVESCO know that we as the viewer and paying customer want to choose who we want to watch at the track and at home.

As if CAMS, AVESCO and Ten car what we fans want.

Also i'm sure categories such as V8 Utes are now thanking themselves that they went to AVESCO.....Not. Tony Cochrane has a long way to go to get even V8 Supercars on the same level as Football, next Sunday on Ten the grandfinal coverage goes for a staggering 10 hrs. That is for a game that lasts 2hrs. I'm sorry TC but your claims for V8 Supercars (spectator and viewer figures) don't stand up too well.
Old 18 Sep 2005, 01:15 (Ref:1410146)   #22
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I always thought it was the responsibility of the category manager to nurture, secure and maintain television coverage of their class, not #10's responsibility to beg categories to be on their programs.

The rhetoric is nice, but lets think for a minute about some of the other impacts... if the AFL is the new, enhanced obsession... will this impact the other #10 coverages?

Will we get a squished motor racing program on #10 to accomodate live AFL, could we even see a week-delayed coverage of the main series?? It would give them a chance to fix up their many faux pas before hitting the big screen, but do we want live teev, or to watch it after being on here, and we know who has done the deed.

The impact may kill the #10 coverage... if enough subscribers get access to bigpond broadband (I am still on dialup myself) then the need for #10's coverage goes away... perhaps it becomes a webcast as opposed to a television broadcast.... SpikeTV tried that in ChampCar a few years ago with mixed results due to limited coverage... but it would allow the population of the world to see our 'world class' package live streamed on the web

Redmax takes the pics anyway, #10 only provides the talking heads.....
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 18 Sep 2005, 03:53 (Ref:1410169)   #23
mabs_nsx
Veteran

Australia
Where Rally Aus belongs - Perth, WA
mabs_nsx is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete55
next Sunday on Ten the grandfinal coverage goes for a staggering 10 hrs.
It is on for 8 hours not 10 hours. Still what is the point in that?

AFL is so over rated!
Old 18 Sep 2005, 04:41 (Ref:1410174)   #24
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete55
As if CAMS, AVESCO and Ten car what we fans want.

Also i'm sure categories such as V8 Utes are now thanking themselves that they went to AVESCO.....Not. Tony Cochrane has a long way to go to get even V8 Supercars on the same level as Football, next Sunday on Ten the grandfinal coverage goes for a staggering 10 hrs. That is for a game that lasts 2hrs. I'm sorry TC but your claims for V8 Supercars (spectator and viewer figures) don't stand up too well.

Pete two weekends later, the v8s will be on for 20 hours, for a race that lasts less than 7 hours, your point if you were trying to make one seems to be lacking something, not sure what it is, maybe a lack of bias
Old 18 Sep 2005, 05:49 (Ref:1410184)   #25
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My point is that AFL in this instance can get 8 hrs coverage for a 2 hr game (i thought it was advertised as 10 hrs) but Sandown which you would consider to be the second most important motorsport event in Australia gets 5 hrs. Going on that V8 Supercars is not the No. 1 sport in Australia as TC says.
Even Bathurst with if as you say is correct is 20 hrs it is still over 3 days and on the day of the race which covers 6 hrs + it is still only a 10 hr coverage. I would think that there would be more they could do as far as coverage of other events on the program also instead of all the crap they go on with on that telecast.