Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 16 Jan 2007, 12:23 (Ref:1816473)   #1
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by diz
Loved his sticker "For Flux Sake" It adorned my motor racing brief case for many a year.
Only met him briefly, via a friend, many years ago, but he has always said hello when our paths have crossed since. A decent bloke and no mean pilot.
IIRC the "For Flux Sake" was a campaign by Steve Syddenham (spelling?). He was the guy behind the "Racing for Britain" which (again) IIRC was a charity seeking financial support for up and coming British drivers.
He later created the less general one to help further Fluxies career.
Can anyone out there confirm or deny this?
Maybe even a separate thread?

Last edited by John Turner; 16 Jan 2007 at 12:53.
Old 16 Jan 2007, 12:54 (Ref:1816493)   #2
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT
Yes, I think so. Now moved to History forum.
Old 16 Jan 2007, 17:33 (Ref:1816741)   #3
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I take we are talking about Ian Flux?

Ex F3, Ex Sports Cars ex everything and generally very quick (and a bit wild)
Old 17 Jan 2007, 09:34 (Ref:1817288)   #4
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Raine
I take we are talking about Ian Flux?
Yes!
Old 17 Jan 2007, 09:54 (Ref:1817315)   #5
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Good driver that Fluxie!

I hadn't realised from reading the Lost Generation book that he'd been such a part of the Embassy Hill set up in mid 70's?

I guess he embarked on his racing career after that?

He's driven loads of cars and must be a protagonist up there with David Leslie and the late Gerry Marshall for the award of 'Most race cars driven.'

I remember he was quite close with the Roni mob in the 80's and had lots of mileage in their one off Cygnus F3 car (anyone remember that device?) and may have shook down their later F3000 cars as well.
Old 17 Jan 2007, 13:14 (Ref:1817491)   #6
Dan Rear
Veteran

Dan Rear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fluxie won the British F Vee champ in 1975. Then went F3 with one of the first 'customer' RT1s in 1976. He went well, also in 77 with that car, though never won a race. He stayed in F3 in 78 with an older March, but that was pretty much it I think in his attempt at a 'serious career' as a top-line driver. Seems to be a great character though, spiritual heir to Lanfranchi maybe?
Old 17 Jan 2007, 14:15 (Ref:1817557)   #7
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
IIRC the "For Flux Sake" was a campaign by Steve Syddenham (spelling?). He was the guy behind the "Racing for Britain" which (again) IIRC was a charity seeking financial support for up and coming British drivers. He later created the less general one to help further Fluxies career.
Any info. on Fluxie is great, but is anyone able to answer Viva GT's specific question?
Old 17 Jan 2007, 14:25 (Ref:1817563)   #8
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
IIRC the "For Flux Sake" was a campaign by Steve Syddenham (spelling?).
Remember this vaguely.

Quote:
He was the guy behind the "Racing for Britain" which (again) IIRC was a charity seeking financial support for up and coming British drivers.
Correct and I've got a "Racing for Britain" mag with Martin Brundle's Autograph on the front cover. Got it at the Racing Car Show 1984(?) at the QE2 Hotel in Hammersmith. (Might not be the right hotel name).

Quote:
He later created the less general one to help further Fluxies career.
I do recall him setting up another charity/fundraiser but I'm not sure it was aimed purely at Fluxie.
Old 17 Jan 2007, 14:32 (Ref:1817573)   #9
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
A fine driver indeed, but I thought Charlize Theron was an odd choice to play him in the biopic.
Old 17 Jan 2007, 17:50 (Ref:1817769)   #10
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer
Good driver that Fluxie!

I hadn't realised from reading the Lost Generation book that he'd been such a part of the Embassy Hill set up in mid 70's?

I guess he embarked on his racing career after that?

He's driven loads of cars and must be a protagonist up there with David Leslie and the late Gerry Marshall for the award of 'Most race cars driven.'

I remember he was quite close with the Roni mob in the 80's and had lots of mileage in their one off Cygnus F3 car (anyone remember that device?) and may have shook down their later F3000 cars as well.
I think he was a mechanic at Embassy Hill. I first came accross him in the late 70's when he was driving the F3 Erlich. He seems to have driven virtually every type or race car from single seaters, big Thundersports Lolas, TVR's even BTCC. Always quick, sometimes a bit to hard, but eventually he became a very good team driver. He seemed to have been employed by rich gentlemen racers in GT's, on many occassions he was able to make up for the owners shortcomings!

As for the sticker. I remember it and think it was for him, but knowing his character he would have made it his own anyway.

One of the characters of British motor racing
Old 18 Jan 2007, 07:53 (Ref:1818174)   #11
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is Ian Flux releated to Adrian Flux? I seem to recall the name as being connected with insurance of racing cars and teams.
Old 18 Jan 2007, 08:37 (Ref:1818200)   #12
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A really super bloke and a good friend for over 20 years. I'll ask him.
Old 18 Jan 2007, 16:14 (Ref:1818564)   #13
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Just been on the phone to Ian.
'For Flux Sake' has absolutely nothing to do with Steve Sydenham.
In 1980 Ian was racing Doc Ehrlich's Atlantic car. It had an aluminium 'flip up' air deflector just infront of the cockpit to prevent buffeting. Doc Ehrlich had painted FLUX on this deflector in black letters. Tiff Needell came along one day at Brands and with a black marker wrote 'FOR' and 'SAKE' either side. It stuck of course and from that day Ian has had it on his helmet. Tiff and Ian are old mates, Ian was Tiff's best man.
Old 18 Jan 2007, 17:19 (Ref:1818600)   #14
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kitson
Just been on the phone to Ian.
'For Flux Sake' has absolutely nothing to do with Steve Sydenham.
In 1980 Ian was racing Doc Ehrlich's Atlantic car. It had an aluminium 'flip up' air deflector just infront of the cockpit to prevent buffeting. Doc Ehrlich had painted FLUX on this deflector in black letters. Tiff Needell came along one day at Brands and with a black marker wrote 'FOR' and 'SAKE' either side. It stuck of course and from that day Ian has had it on his helmet. Tiff and Ian are old mates, Ian was Tiff's best man.
Aha! Thanks for that Andrew, I'm glad I covered myself by putting IIRC instead of stating it as fact
I'll just put the couldy memory down to too many exhaust fumes over the years!