Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 Dec 2002, 13:04 (Ref:449779)   #1
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
"I hope Toyota Struggle" - Salo

Quote:
Just read this at BBC Sport

Mika Salo says he wants Toyota to perform badly this year following the Formula One team's decision to drop him.
Salo and Allan McNish were both dumped by Toyota, who finished their debut season in Formula One in 10th place with just two points.

BAR's French veteran Olivier Panis and the newly-crowned CART champion Cristiano da Matta were brought in as replacements, and Salo will not be wishing them luck.

He said: "I really hope they struggle a lot. I'm happy I'm not there, I couldn't take that any more, one more year of the same thing."
I wonder why they did'nt keep him?
Old 14 Dec 2002, 13:52 (Ref:449803)   #2
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bitterness multiplied. I don't think we should read too much more into it than that. I well know the feeling of putting my heart and soul into an enterprise and then being kicked aside as if I never existed at all. But like Zonta at BAR, he should moderate his tone and save this stuff for his bartender and his long suffering wife.
Old 14 Dec 2002, 13:53 (Ref:449804)   #3
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You wonder why he was so upset over cancelling his contract in the first place. Since he obviously wanted out anyway. Be that as it may, in relation to his activities, Salo is in 2003 probably the best paid driver in the world. So, no need for whining I suppose.
Old 14 Dec 2002, 16:48 (Ref:449876)   #4
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I guess its pure bitterness.... he want so badly to succeed, and to do a "Michael" of being Toyota's first F1 driver and lead it to success. He took a year off racing to concentrate on testings for Toyota....finally getting onto the grid for a season... and when things start to stablize...when the sun starts to shine... He gets kicked in the butt.
Old 14 Dec 2002, 17:01 (Ref:449882)   #5
RT
Veteran

United States
Great Lakes Area
RT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I also hope Toyota struggles. There was little to be gained by getting rid of Salo and McNish. At least at this stage of the team. They lost much needed continuity in evaluating the team's progress (or lack of it).

A large part of Ferrari's ongoing success is that they've stuck with the main players through thick and thin. Ron Dennis also has that same trait of loyalty to his people and was rewarded with superb performances by Mika Hakkinen and two recent WDC.

Teams lose a lot by alienating key personnel. Just ask Williams...
Old 14 Dec 2002, 17:09 (Ref:449884)   #6
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ahhh music to my ears. Well Mika, we will be both watching hoping they are at the back of the grid. I think most here know my dislike for Toyota and their "sporting spirit". Mika did get a raw deal so did McNish. Toyota did what they do best push the blame to save face.

I think OP is better than either of the drivers they had. Its just the fact that they show a disrigard for the two men who put their respective racing lives aside to help build an F1 team. Then in the end to be told thanks but goodbye. Toyota said they wanted young drivers to help them build the team. I guess OP qualifies?!!
Old 14 Dec 2002, 18:18 (Ref:449911)   #7
429CJ
Veteran

Finland
Otaku World
429CJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Salo is bitter, being kicked out of Toyota because too honest comments for media. Especially commentating slow and inefficent development.

-Jamie Hyneman
Old 14 Dec 2002, 21:59 (Ref:450040)   #8
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Salo hasnt been 100% all year either... the Melbourne thing where he was chasing Webber is the almost dead Minardi and made a mistake costing the Toyota team a certain 5th place was a bit amateurish...

I would suggest the issue wasnt with Salo in that team but with McNish.. Salo seemed to make several comments to the press telling McNish he has to become a more decisive tester to drag the program forward faster...

As ever however, it will be the true test of Toyota in the 2nd year, it was for Stewart.. a very hard year the 2nd one, building a new car and racing the old one...

I would suggest there is still a question mark over the 2003 driving staff as well....
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 14 Dec 2002, 22:19 (Ref:450050)   #9
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
Bitterness multiplied. I don't think we should read too much more into it than that. I well know the feeling of putting my heart and soul into an enterprise and then being kicked aside as if I never existed at all. But like Zonta at BAR, he should moderate his tone and save this stuff for his bartender and his long suffering wife.
I agree - absolutely spot on. Maybe Salo should have a look at my singing horses thread.
I just wonder how Toyota could expect Olivier and de Matta to do better than the two guys who had tested the car for two years already. The outcome will be interesting because Rennen reckons that Toyota have a more powerful engine than Honda already. The jury is out on this one.
Old 15 Dec 2002, 00:02 (Ref:450098)   #10
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
VB, you should send him that Singing Horses link. I bet he'd feel a lot better after viewing it!
Old 15 Dec 2002, 06:51 (Ref:450189)   #11
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
To be honest, I think it was a kick in the guts how Toyota treated Salo, but contracts mean nothing nowadays in F1. As does honour.

Toyota will find the going tougher next year, but as a former driver I think it's sour grapes to hope they struggle.
Old 15 Dec 2002, 08:31 (Ref:450221)   #12
Guy Goddard2
Racer

Guy Goddard2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE]Originally posted by GTRMagic
[B]Salo hasnt been 100% all year either... the Melbourne thing where he was chasing Webber is the almost dead Minardi and made a mistake costing the Toyota team a certain 5th place was a bit amateurish...

Was it a mistake or did Salo realise that if he overtook Webber or crashed into him he would never get out of Australia alive!.

Salo is bitter and who can blame him, ok he hasn't been beilliant this year but then nor has the car, Salo dropped a certain drive with Sauber to test and develop so to sacrifice so much Salo assumed (wrongly) 2 years were safe guarded regardless of what happened this year.
The problem now is Salo has vented his anger and "quit" the sport and now attacking Toyota which indicates there is no way back for him in the near future although i understand he is well respected at Ferrari and might get a test drive role for 2004. I think he will do touring cars or sports cars.
Old 15 Dec 2002, 08:59 (Ref:450234)   #13
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I think Toyota will run hot and cold I think the car should be up to it and Panis can do the job but as for De matta I don't think he will cut it . as I said hot & cold .
Mika does sound quite bitter but can you blame him?
Old 15 Dec 2002, 09:25 (Ref:450242)   #14
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Guy Goddard2
[B]
Quote:
Originally posted by GTRMagic
Was it a mistake or did Salo realise that if he overtook Webber or crashed into him he would never get out of Australia alive!.
Speaking as an Aussie, I think thats a little harsh. Most of the Aussies I was with expected Salo to overtake him, and hell, 6th place would still have been bloody good.

As for Salo's future, obviously F1 is out of the question. But also, no matter what series he goes to, who would want a driver that would say this after he leaves?

I thought what Toyota did was wrong, but this is inappropriate.
Old 15 Dec 2002, 12:01 (Ref:450336)   #15
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
I also feel sorry for Alan McNish. It remains to be seen whether the sacking of Salo and McNish will turn out positively or otherwise. I have my doubts, seeing that the two sacked drivers had been testing the cars for two years already, as well as racing them for 1 year. I wonder what was really behind all this - blame and sack?
Old 16 Dec 2002, 22:44 (Ref:451469)   #16
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Trust Salo to bad mouth a team that fired him! He should be kissing their ass for giving him a contract in the first place!
Old 17 Dec 2002, 06:28 (Ref:451605)   #17
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Well yeah!! He was paid quite a lot for his two year stint, and doesn't he have another year of salary for doing nothing?