Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 27 May 2009, 12:57 (Ref:2470212)   #51
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'll be staying at BSJ which is quite close to the Porsche Curves I'm told, so I'll check them out. Otherwise I don't really know, just gonna grab a General Admission ticket when I get there and have wander about.
Old 27 May 2009, 13:00 (Ref:2470214)   #52
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Being in B14 in T34 I suspect I too will be keen on my sun hat - that said, the only time I've seen the grandstand absolutely chock full is at the start - the rest of the time, and even towards the finish, I've not had any real trouble wandering around a bit.
Old 27 May 2009, 18:21 (Ref:2470407)   #53
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I remember one year - 2005 was it? - when I sat and watched the sun creeping up the seats in T34. Of course, after people move out (surprisingly quickly) from their seats, I tend to head down to the front row with my camera anyway.... So I'll be taking my trademark hat and slapping on some serious factor suncream...
Old 30 May 2009, 00:27 (Ref:2471934)   #54
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
What's the form with the grandstands, folks? Can one 'sneak' in late at night? I assume they do wristband type passes, as at Spa?
Old 30 May 2009, 06:05 (Ref:2471980)   #55
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey View Post
What's the form with the grandstands, folks? Can one 'sneak' in late at night? I assume they do wristband type passes, as at Spa?
Grandstands are free and anyone can enter during Wednesday and Thursday's practice and qualifying. From Saturday morning until the end of the race you'll need to present a tribune (grandstand) ticket. When you leave your tribune for the first time, a contremarque will be given to you by one of the stewards, don't forget to take one. You will need to surrender the contremarque as well as show your tribune ticket when you return to your seat. This process is repeated throughout the weekend.

As far as sneaking in late at night is concerned, I've seen plenty of 'locals' blagging their way in, but 'visitors' are generally less successful. It's really down to the individual official guarding the staircase.
Old 30 May 2009, 06:53 (Ref:2471990)   #56
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
The grandstands are well guarded but late at night you do not really need them, you can get right up to the wire fence with no problem and if you have a chair sit down and watch the race. You can then move to a different spot and watch some more, much better than sitting further back and watching the same view all the time.
Old 31 May 2009, 09:58 (Ref:2472538)   #57
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
The grandstands are well guarded but late at night you do not really need them, you can get right up to the wire fence with no problem and if you have a chair sit down and watch the race. You can then move to a different spot and watch some more, much better than sitting further back and watching the same view all the time.

OK if you weant to just spectate, but if you hope to film or photo, these days, without a media pass, a grandstand seat is pretty well essential. It's why I've moved back to T34 this year. Lagache was nice enough last year, but you still can't see over the debris fencing. It's worth the cost of the seat in T34 for me to have no fencing in the way of my lens.....

Look out for me up in there probably from midnight onwards....
Old 1 Jun 2009, 15:45 (Ref:2473454)   #58
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
La Sarthe GS (facing the Ford esses)... my avatar picture has been taken from this one... one of the last places where you can take pics without having fences on...

My best memory of spoting : with Bernard at the Porsche curve on sunday during PQ, some years ago. We've been able to pass through without been noticed by the marshalls... one hour five meters to the very track... Holly Molly, you can imagine our eyes (children at X-mas)...
Old 7 Jun 2009, 09:35 (Ref:2476840)   #59
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I didn't want to leave one of those crappy posts about sitting here in my loungeroom just southwest of Brisbane watching one of the greatest annual sporting events next week but unfortunately (other than being there) this is where I will be, glued to the TV/ stream/RLM. So, to all of you who are on their way over the next few days, have a safe trip and enjoy. It should be a ripper.
Old 7 Jun 2009, 22:55 (Ref:2477313)   #60
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Fab, Aysw, I got spoiled... My first visit to LM I was team media, so spent all my time trackside of the fence. I have to get the 'thinking hat on for next week.

Hmmm. Matt black paint for the chain link fence. Tip from ALMS, folks! Stops reflections from flash, you see.
Old 8 Jun 2009, 08:17 (Ref:2477474)   #61
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey View Post

Hmmm. Matt black paint for the chain link fence. Tip from ALMS, folks! Stops reflections from flash, you see.

Sheeesh! You'll need a hell of a lot of paint.......
Old 8 Jun 2009, 10:05 (Ref:2477548)   #62
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Only for a square foot or so in Maison Blanche campsite...
Old 12 Jun 2009, 11:15 (Ref:2480907)   #63
marcosgt
Racer

England
UK
marcosgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmarcosgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My sofa

Actually quite looking forward to it in a way, but I'll be back!

M.
Old 12 Jun 2009, 12:08 (Ref:2480955)   #64
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Sitting on uncomfy chair and watching a butthole sized webstream.
Old 12 Jun 2009, 20:11 (Ref:2481234)   #65
Ace Daddy
Rookie

United States
Tucson Arizona
Ace Daddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

From my makeshift race command center, with t.v., computer, and plenty of Red Bull at the ready.
Old 13 Jun 2009, 02:05 (Ref:2481342)   #66
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
in my uni dorm watching a crap grainy stream which will probably crash a lot, wish i was there this year, would love to watch the start from the outside on that kink after Terte rouge on the Mulsanne
Old 13 Jun 2009, 02:55 (Ref:2481354)   #67
bil588
Veteran

United States
bil588 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll be watching it with my dad and a stranger (saw his flickr ALMS pictures) on the west coast of the usa (portland, oregon).

Bring the ALMS back to Portland International Raceway!
Old 13 Jun 2009, 03:12 (Ref:2481360)   #68
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
From La Sarthe grandstand, at least for the start... we'll be on our way in a minute BTW ... if you face the box, have a good one and think how we'll suffer on the frying pan of Le Mans this week-end, not mentionning the probable storms...
Old 13 Jun 2009, 03:15 (Ref:2481361)   #69
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fab View Post
From La Sarthe grandstand, at least for the start... we'll be on our way in a minute BTW ... if you face the box, have a good one and think how we'll suffer on the frying pan of Le Mans this week-end, not mentionning the probable storms...
oh believe me, i would much rather be at the circuit than been stuck in my uni dorm, i think over the past month ive survived the deluge for the BTCC at Donington Park and the broiling heat of Rockingham British GT, i could survive anything now
Old 13 Jun 2009, 05:35 (Ref:2481380)   #70
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The only good thing about sitting here is being reasonably comfortable out of the elements, having access to stream/timing/RLM , being able to catch a bit of sleep occasionally and hoping like hell that it doesn't all crash to regularly. The fire is going (it's been damn cold here in south east Queensland the last couple of nights) but the fridge is stocked with the appropriate beverages and we are ready to rock and roll. Nothing like being there though.
Old 13 Jun 2009, 07:55 (Ref:2481414)   #71
inpitlane
Veteran

inpitlane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The champagne's chilling, I couldn't afford the Grand Marnier so no crepes but thankfully after 34 years Le Mans is finally is back on local TV.
To all of you lucky enough to be there have a crepe and champagne for me.
Hope it warms up a bit for you looked a bit cool the last couple of days.
But then a cool Le Mans in June is about the hottest place there is and even the hotttest day it's way cool.
Old 13 Jun 2009, 08:03 (Ref:2481416)   #72
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
From Room 1524 in the Hotel Kazakhstan, Almaty. They have Eurosport 1, with Russian commentary....
Old 13 Jun 2009, 09:54 (Ref:2481460)   #73
AndrewF31
Veteran

Canada
Spain
AndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
From Room 1524 in the Hotel Kazakhstan, Almaty. They have Eurosport 1, with Russian commentary....
That's a long way from home!

I'll be watching from the comfort of my home, with Eurosport Player (a really good investment of 4 euros.... had good imagery during qualifying and hope my internet holds up) with RLM commentary.
Stick around the forum and in the chatroom (anyone around should think about joining it. Was interesting during Practice and Qualifying.

Afterwards, I'll have to watch my Internet consumptions because 24 hours of video online is gonna hike up my totals!
Old 13 Jun 2009, 10:00 (Ref:2481463)   #74
S.Moss
Racer

England
Wakefield, West Yorkshire
S.Moss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewF31 View Post
I'll be watching from the comfort of my home, with Eurosport Player (a really good investment of 4 euros.... had good imagery during qualifying and hope my internet holds up) with RLM commentary.
I'll be watching on Eurosport, but i've yet to have RLM commentary on but probably will for the race as it tends to be a bit more in depth. How far is RLM commentary behind the video streams?
Old 13 Jun 2009, 10:13 (Ref:2481467)   #75
AndrewF31
Veteran

Canada
Spain
AndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
From my first experience with Qualifying it was a few seconds, nothing too major. And part of those seconds might be the couple of seconds between the time you see the footage and decide to comment on it.