Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 22 May 2023, 01:02 (Ref:4157376)   #201
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstets View Post
Guessing that the non functional weight jacker may have cost Graham a start in the race. I was surprised to see Harvey improve on his last run. Impressed at Bobby leaving the decisions about the 30 car to its crew. I'm guessing that he could have stipulated that Harvey make his last run with enough time remaining for Graham to counter. I was amazed to see that Harvey's engineers came up with a setup change that could improve on the earlier run despite the heat soak on the engine. I can't remember that being done by any other team recently.
i guess i hadn't thought about it much in the past, but did assume Bobby was running part of the team. His comments though during qualifying did make it clear he isn't in the operations part of this and is really just in ownership. Kind of nice to hear tbh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8supes View Post
It was all very exciting. I enjoy it very much. Harvey improving on that final run does blow all of the "You need to cool the car down every run" stuff out of the water..
Yes, that was really cool to see heat wasn't a factor. But lets keep in mind the speeds were still relatively slow compared to those who qualified yesterday! They really only just made the car slightly less slow in that final run! New spring helped i guess
Old 22 May 2023, 01:45 (Ref:4157381)   #202
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Did Veekay just say he should have taken a dump before he ran so he was going to be that much faster???
So its Dump Day, or even Bump 'n' Dump Day
Old 22 May 2023, 03:05 (Ref:4157383)   #203
mstets
Racer

mstets should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
So its Dump Day, or even Bump 'n' Dump Day

There was a segment in the practice coverage with all 4 McLaren drivers answering questions. Pato said he peed in the car during races about 3 times per season. Rossi and TK said no way.
Old 22 May 2023, 04:17 (Ref:4157384)   #204
mstets
Racer

mstets should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The mid 1980s were obviously a totally different era but I don't remember making a significant mechanical change to any of the Truesports cars at Indy from 1984-1986. Certainly no spring changes on qualifying day. What I remember most about qualifying day in 1986 is Rahal wanting a new steering wheel after the morning practice on pole day. As I recall Mears was fastest and Bob turned his fastest lap up to that point in time at the speedway that morning. We were all excited by his lap which was in the 216 mph range if memory serves. I remember one of his first comments once we got back to the garage being "I need a new steering wheel". The steering wheel still looks near new to me but there are a couple of worn spots especially in the right hand palm area. A much simpler era.
Attached Thumbnails
steering wheel 1986 march.jpg  
Old 22 May 2023, 12:27 (Ref:4157443)   #205
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Starting Lineup

I thoroughly enjoyed the two days of qualifying and the qualifying format. However, I'm not too sure if qualifying should end with the Top 12, or go on to the Fast 6?

There is something to be said for having only one go at getting pole and of course the starting lineup would have been different. However, having the Fast 6 is in keeping with qualifying with the other races during the season and it adds a bit more drama and is good for those all important TV ratings.
Attached Thumbnails
indycar-startinglineup.jpg  
Old 22 May 2023, 15:14 (Ref:4157457)   #206
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
The mid 1980s were obviously a totally different era but I don't remember making a significant mechanical change to any of the Truesports cars at Indy from 1984-1986. Certainly no spring changes on qualifying day. What I remember most about qualifying day in 1986 is Rahal wanting a new steering wheel after the morning practice on pole day. As I recall Mears was fastest and Bob turned his fastest lap up to that point in time at the speedway that morning. We were all excited by his lap which was in the 216 mph range if memory serves. I remember one of his first comments once we got back to the garage being "I need a new steering wheel". The steering wheel still looks near new to me but there are a couple of worn spots especially in the right hand palm area. A much simpler era.
Based on that steering wheel, I guess there weren't a lot of in car adjustments for the drivers in those days either!
Old 22 May 2023, 15:58 (Ref:4157466)   #207
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Based on that steering wheel, I guess there weren't a lot of in car adjustments for the drivers in those days either!
Or they weren't on wheel but on the bulkhead joe.
Old 22 May 2023, 17:17 (Ref:4157470)   #208
v8supes
Veteran

v8supes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
That was the most surprising development of the whole day for me. Given what we have been told about heat soak in the past it was totally unexpected. I would like to know just what is and what is not allowed for the cool down procedure. Announcers stated that cooling fans are more limited during qualifying but what about shading, dry ice, etc.? Some of the cars had engine covers off after their first run but they weren't shaded. A chrome plated wrench laying out in today's sun will get so hot that you can't hold it. I'd like to know just how cool the engine and cooling system needs to be at the start of a run to produce the best run.
I wish i could get the video from qualifying because Sting Ray Robbs teams had an umbrella over the engine and one of the Indy officials came over and took it off them.
Old 22 May 2023, 18:16 (Ref:4157474)   #209
CarfanLUFC
Racer

Zimbabwe
A Yorkshire Farm
CarfanLUFC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCarfanLUFC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well, I suspect that's Rahal back in the race....
Old 22 May 2023, 18:38 (Ref:4157481)   #210
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarfanLUFC View Post
well, I suspect that's Rahal back in the race....
How so?
Old 22 May 2023, 18:47 (Ref:4157482)   #211
CarfanLUFC
Racer

Zimbabwe
A Yorkshire Farm
CarfanLUFC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCarfanLUFC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
How so?
If Wilson even has a minor back injury I can't see him racing on Sunday...

Entry withdrawn....and Rahal is as the reserve....or the T is rolled out and Rahal replaces Wilson
Old 22 May 2023, 19:05 (Ref:4157488)   #212
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:

Entry withdrawn....and Rahal is as the reserve....or the T is rolled out and Rahal replaces Wilson
ahh, i missed that report on the incident today. Sounds like some crunched up equipment and a lot of repairs for the teams involved.

You may be right, it doesn't seem like Stefan would be allowed to run
Old 22 May 2023, 19:07 (Ref:4157489)   #213
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Are nonqualifiers still listed as reserve entries or are they just out? Didn't see anything either way and no reporting on it seems odd by now or maybe everyone just wanted a day to breathe there

No reporting on the chance of Graham sneaking back in the field at least.
Old 22 May 2023, 19:30 (Ref:4157496)   #214
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Don't know about the rules, but this is one helluva shot:

https://twitter.com/marshallpruett/s...21325042704385
Old 22 May 2023, 19:36 (Ref:4157499)   #215
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
MP can't write up an article yet, he needs new shorts and shoes
Old 22 May 2023, 19:48 (Ref:4157501)   #216
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Stefan has been taken to Hospital for advanced imaging and further test. Communicating and in good spirits according to the doctor.

A nasty hit Fingers crossed for Stefan to be fine and the treatment was more precautionary.

https://twitter.com/IndyCar/status/1...7974start%3D90
Old 22 May 2023, 20:24 (Ref:4157508)   #217
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It’d been quite uneventful practice up until today.
Old 22 May 2023, 21:22 (Ref:4157514)   #218
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

Are those the rules?
Old 22 May 2023, 21:24 (Ref:4157515)   #219
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Practice 8
Attached Thumbnails
indycar-results-p8.jpg  
Old 22 May 2023, 21:37 (Ref:4157516)   #220
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Are those the rules?
Well the old specific "T car" rules were scrapped a while back I think and they can bring in a new chassis no problem, see Colton last year with his Carb Day. Even if he needed a new engine he would have retained his starting spot if I remember last year right.

Believe as long as Stefan is cleared he could source a new car if needed. Doubt the team, or the owner of the car cause I don't think that's a D&R owned car, have the cash to go out and get a whole new car but strange things happen at Indy.

If he isn't cleared Graham couldn't jump in the entry most likely as Graham is in a Honda and D&R is a Chevy team. One off drivers maybe but full season Honda guy in a Chevy wouldn't be great. I think the team would try to go find a guy on the sidelines and see if he could run. Some dude named T Bell doesn't have a race seat and is in town this week.
Old 23 May 2023, 00:37 (Ref:4157522)   #221
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Well let the dancing begin, Stefan ruled out with fractured 12th vertebra

https://racer.com/2023/05/22/wilson-...ured-vertebra/

Have a feeling D&R is on the phone to Sage Karam and JR Hildebrand, apparently JR has been wandering around Speedway and checking in with teams and making himself available

Team sounding like they're working on things and not folding up camp just yet

Last edited by broadrun96; 23 May 2023 at 00:45.
Old 23 May 2023, 12:11 (Ref:4157554)   #222
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hate it for Stefan and the team. I don't think anyone who's on the outside looking in at this point would be a contender, but this will be interesting to see what happens. For the team, I hope they can insert a backup pilot, but for Graham and RLL, it would be nice to see them inserted and I'd assume they'd start last with everyone else moving up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
MP can't write up an article yet, he needs new shorts and shoes
Indeed

https://twitter.com/marshallpruett/s...28857677512705
Old 23 May 2023, 12:22 (Ref:4157555)   #223
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Well done MP
Old 23 May 2023, 14:45 (Ref:4157576)   #224
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Graham is taking over the Wilson seat.

https://racer.com/2023/05/23/rahal-t...ianapolis-500/

Not as an RLL entry, but as the D&R entry.
Old 23 May 2023, 15:06 (Ref:4157586)   #225
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Graham is taking over the Wilson seat.

https://racer.com/2023/05/23/rahal-t...ianapolis-500/

Not as an RLL entry, but as the D&R entry.

DRR use Chevy engines and RLL use Honda.