Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 16 Apr 2002, 00:18 (Ref:261602)   #1
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"After the Miracle" Zanardi Rules

If you watched "CART Friday Night", you saw Derek Daly hold up a copy of "Sports Illustrated" (Dated April 15, 2002) with an article about Alessandro Zanardi in it. Get this magazine! I bought it this morning. There is a full page photo of Zanardi standing in the midst of rocks, holding his crutches over his head, that is the most inspirational photo I have ever seen. The article is graphic, but honest in its admiration for Alessandro's fight back -- and honest in its evalution of how far he has come and how far he has yet to come, too. It's not a sugar fest, or a violin solo. It's just good stuff.

It also says that, had Tags not turned his wheel to the left, which he did instinctively, both men would have instantly died in the collision.

That picture is going up over my desk, and when I start feeling that the world has not been fair to me, I have the feeling one look at that picture will make my petty problems go away.
Old 16 Apr 2002, 00:30 (Ref:261614)   #2
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll be buying it tomorrow! Does anybody know where I can get a pineapple decal!
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 16 Apr 2002, 00:58 (Ref:261639)   #3
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: "After the Miracle" Zanardi Rules

Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
It also says that, had Tags not turned his wheel to the left, which he did instinctively, both men would have instantly died in the collision.
More than likely. If he'd centerpunched Zanardi's car or hit back by the engine and gearbox, both cars would have taken the full force of the impact. The deceleration could have seriously injured Tagliana, or he could have been launched upside-down over Zanardi. At those speeds, it would've destroyed the tub of Zanardi's car, no way he would have survived. The last-moment turn to the left allowed for a much shallower angle of impact, and Tags also hit Zanardi's nose, allowing some of that energy to be burnt off as Zanardi's car spun clockwise.

As tragic as it was, it could have been much, much worse.

Last edited by Lee Janotta; 16 Apr 2002 at 01:07.
Old 16 Apr 2002, 11:21 (Ref:261947)   #4
Laagri
Racer

Laagri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Liz, for those of us not able to get hold of Sports Illustrated, do you know if that picture is available anywhere on the Internet? Or is anyone able to scan it in and put it up somewhere?

Alessandro continues to be an inspiration. I'm really looking forward to seeing the reception he receives the first time he's able to attend a CART race (I'm presuming he didn't make it to Long Beach, because I haven't heard anything about it). What are the odds on Tony and Tags dominating that race, whichever it is?
Old 16 Apr 2002, 11:41 (Ref:261983)   #5
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He's going to wave the flag at Germany where he was injured. He was asked to attend at Long Beach but said he was not ready yet.

I don't know how to post pictures -- I've NEVER been able to find any format that this website accepts -- but I will scan it if someone else can post it.
Old 16 Apr 2002, 11:42 (Ref:261984)   #6
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks Liz.

I'm off to the newsagent tomorrow.
Old 17 Apr 2002, 02:12 (Ref:262688)   #7
Ian-S
Racer

Ian-S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've seen a lot of complaints about the article, but no-one commedning it

Seriously if you need scans converted, PM me.
Old 17 Apr 2002, 10:23 (Ref:262859)   #8
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Liz,

I saw a copy of sports illustrated on the shelf. But it had a girl with large breasts shoe horned into a bikini. I have no idea what sport she plays.

Seems our April issue could be different to yours.
Old 17 Apr 2002, 11:02 (Ref:262890)   #9
Liz
Veteran

That issue, Moffat, says "Winter 2002" on it. The one that features Mr. Zanardi features somebody named Tom Brady who is denoted as "Superbowl MVP" whatever that means.
Old 17 Apr 2002, 17:59 (Ref:263353)   #10
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
I've just scanned a few of the pics, and tried emailing them to Laagri, but to no avail. Emailing via 10Tenths doesn't seem to allow attachments. So, if anybody would like them, email me with your address and I'll send them ASAP.
Old 17 Apr 2002, 23:35 (Ref:263569)   #11
Ian-S
Racer

email them to me and I'll do the biz.

ian@lynxdv.com

Can you put Ten-Tenths Pictures on the subject line so I know what it is, otherwise it may get deleted without being read (viruses etc.).
Old 18 Apr 2002, 00:23 (Ref:263607)   #12
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Newbury Park, CA, United States
Muzza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Liz,

Thanks for the tip, I just got the magazine.

(there is a small error on page 69 - the author, William Nack, located the Mid-Ohio track in Cleveland)

Muzza
Old 18 Apr 2002, 14:02 (Ref:264019)   #13
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ooo i would like it macdaddy, send to
stu_scoobi@hotmail.com

cheers

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 18 Apr 2002, 20:02 (Ref:264246)   #14
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes, I would like this picture! Thanks for the tip!
Old 18 Apr 2002, 22:00 (Ref:264364)   #15
Ian-S
Racer

Here's the photo's:

Zanardi1 - standing on the Beach in Shorts
Attached Thumbnails
zanardi1.jpg  
Old 18 Apr 2002, 22:05 (Ref:264367)   #16
Ian-S
Racer

Zanardi2 - The crash.

VIEWER DISCRETION IS ADVISED!
This picture contains images that some people may find upsetting, do not download if you are easily offended or upset.

(I have seen several complaints about this picture elsewhere on the net, so don't complain that I didn't warn you about it's graphical content).
Attached Thumbnails
zanardi2.jpg  
Old 18 Apr 2002, 22:09 (Ref:264370)   #17
Ian-S
Racer

Zanardi3 - picking up a coin(?)

Many thanks to macdaddy for the images.
Attached Thumbnails
zanardi3.jpg  
Old 18 Apr 2002, 22:27 (Ref:264389)   #18
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
thanks for the pics ian, obviously i saw the accident on tv, but the picture shows just how violent the accident really was! (btw, does anybody know if this copy of sports illustrated is available in the uk?)
Old 18 Apr 2002, 23:15 (Ref:264442)   #19
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Is this Tom Brady guy on the cover? If not, can you please advise who is?
Old 18 Apr 2002, 23:49 (Ref:264453)   #20
Ian-S
Racer

mac, I believe this is the cover of that issue (according to their website anyway)...

In the Other Articles bit at the bottom:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/fea...cover/02/0415/

mr v, don't thank me, thank macdaddy, I only uploaded them.

Yes, the picture does show just how violent it was, I saw it live too, nearly went throught the roof when it happened.

Last edited by Ian-S; 18 Apr 2002 at 23:52.
Old 19 Apr 2002, 08:53 (Ref:264596)   #21
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Ian-S

mr v, don't thank me, thank macdaddy, I only uploaded them.

thank you macdaddy aswell!
Old 19 Apr 2002, 08:59 (Ref:264602)   #22
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
trully horrific .

I remember when it happened , just felt so low , and spent all evening on the net in a attempt to get some news on his condition .
Old 19 Apr 2002, 10:12 (Ref:264666)   #23
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Firstly, thanks for posting the pics, Ian.

Have no fear, those of you who cannot get your hands on an issue of Sports Illustrated. I've finally figured out how to use some software that I have that scans a page and converts it to a doc file. And so I've got a complete transcript of the article to go along with the pics.

Email me and I'll send it to you. It's very interesting reading.
Old 19 Apr 2002, 20:22 (Ref:265109)   #24
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would like to publically thank macdaddy for emailing me the pics and the article. My local newsagent have a lot of international motorsport magazines and other sports magazines, but he didn't have Sports Illustrated. The article was very moving and interesting to read, and I very much appreciate being given the opportunity to read this!

The pic of Zanardi standing with the crutches over his head is going up over my desk too.
Old 19 Apr 2002, 20:31 (Ref:265116)   #25
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
You're all more than welcome. My pleasure. Any Z-Man fan should be able to read it.