Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 18 Apr 2004, 15:28 (Ref:943349)   #1
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Dangerous Curves"

Well, I have watched the first episode of "Dangerous Curves", which is the 1/2 hour Betelgeuse Production highlighting various aspects of Champ Car racing for the fans and the casual fans, hosted by Mrs. Tagliani.

I confess I had no expectations of this program -- on a Manly Man channel, hosted by a model (who happens to be married to a man who drives for one of the Owners), with a nudge-nudge, wink-wink name implying Hooterama production values. I will now cautiously admit that perhaps appearances were deceiving. This was WAY better than "CART Friday Night" ever was.

For one thing, Bronte Tagliani was covered from head to foot, wearing jeans and a leather jacket rather than hooterwear, and was articulate and focused. She is, in fact, much better than half the girls who host programs on Speed TV, including the one they are trying to train to do the Speed News. The only thing I found unprofessional was her "I toured the track with MY HUSBAND" comment which would be bound to elicit the comment, "So that's how she got the job!"

The features included a very brief overview of the field for 2004, including comments by various drivers -- not merely the top 4, but including AJ, Dominguez and Jourdain -- about their training, the physical difficulty of racing, whether or not they feel fear (ranging from AJ and Jourdain, who said yes, to Tracy and Vasser who said no.) There was an eye-popping tour of the home of the fabulously wealthy Nelson Phillipe, who is 17 years old and has five Sea-Doos, is self-possessed and better looking in person than in photos, and really needs a haircut before he starts growing a moustache or beard. And and the end of the program was a hastily thrown together bit covering the two qualifying sessions yesterday and naming the top 6 on the grid.

Advertising for the race was very good, and the final bit of the program was a list of the races upcoming and the information that they'd all be available on Spike on Sunday at 4:00. (Not in Canada, of course, but they didn't tell us that.)

By and large, not a bad program -- it avoided the snarky "We're insiders and you're NOT and YOU NEVER WILL BE" feel of CART Friday Night; it avoided pandering to the "Male 18-24 demographic"; and I think they did a nice job for a first show.

I have to admit I hate the name though.
Old 18 Apr 2004, 17:04 (Ref:943396)   #2
Testure
Veteran

Testure should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've been really interested to see what this program would turn out like (shame I'll not get to see it 'til I'm next in the US!) It's potentially the most important change for this season - actually making a real effort to bring in new fans.

From your report, Liz, it doesn't sound all that different to the kind of stuff ITV in the UK screen in the hour before F1 races. They have discussions about the race ahead, but they've also had things like shopping for CDs with Jacques Villeneuve, an interview with Connie Montoya, Button's girlfriend recording a song, etc. Lots of F1 fans can't stand it, but I don't mind it. I think it gives a certain human look to the drivers.

It'll be interesting to see how this works out over the course of a season.
Old 18 Apr 2004, 18:08 (Ref:943458)   #3
norman-normal
Veteran

norman-normal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I feel very much the same way Liz. It was very good 'educational' lead for the race. But I think the "Husband" mention to establish her credentials as more than a pretty face,....ummmm.
Old 18 Apr 2004, 22:09 (Ref:943629)   #4
Omega99
Veteran

Canada
9Henday
Omega99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From what I saw, Spike's going to do a great job promoting the series. The program was geared towards attracting new fans to the series, and I think it will be successful in that manner. The commercials were good too.
Old 19 Apr 2004, 01:50 (Ref:943726)   #5
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I liked the Atlantics "If you can read this, I'm kicking your butt" collection.
Old 19 Apr 2004, 02:37 (Ref:943739)   #6
Cameron H
Rookie

Cameron H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bronte had too many cloths on

Cam
Old 19 Apr 2004, 03:05 (Ref:943748)   #7
MLM
Veteran

MLM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like Bronte's new hairdo...very cute and perky
BTW, Cameron, you didn't see her in the "bikini shots" during the race (when they "introduced" her as the "Lifestyle Reporter"?

Last edited by MLM; 19 Apr 2004 at 03:07.
Old 19 Apr 2004, 03:27 (Ref:943751)   #8
Mouser
Rookie

United States
Pomeroy,Ohio,USA
Mouser should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was afraid that Spike would make it a pit babe show,instead of focusing on the race. It was pretty good.
I hope they keep up the good work!
Old 19 Apr 2004, 04:04 (Ref:943757)   #9
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You forget that Tag and Bronte met because she was in the Miss Ausi Indy competition!

I think the most important thing was what Liz mentioned about her not being done up like the typical bimbo you'd expect to see on a Spike or Speed TV auto-related broadcast.
Old 19 Apr 2004, 04:09 (Ref:943761)   #10
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
jjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Agree with everything Liz said, ESPECIALLY the name of the show. Dangerour Curves? Yeck!!! When I was looking through my Tivo program guide several days ago I thought for some reason they weren't showing the pre-race morning show because I didn't realize thats what it was called. And her comment at the end about "not all curves are dangerous" was bit cheesey. Ok, a LOT cheesey.
Old 19 Apr 2004, 04:16 (Ref:943767)   #11
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
She doesn't exactly ooze personality, but that's okay.
Old 19 Apr 2004, 08:55 (Ref:943872)   #12
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Why do we have to see her demonstrating Paul Tracey's shower in the middle of the race?
Old 19 Apr 2004, 10:42 (Ref:943945)   #13
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
NASCAR has a tendency to do that sort of thing. I think to bring the drivers more into your living room. In NASCAR though you have 4hour races with lots of yellow to fit that type of stuff in. Yesterdays race was really yellow free though and didn't lend itself to segments like you mention Adam. I applaud the attempt to personalize the drivers though, hopefully they'll find a balance.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 19 Apr 2004, 13:34 (Ref:944174)   #14
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
Why do we have to see her demonstrating Paul Tracey's shower in the middle of the race?
Interesting, while you (and I) saw a girl, a guy, and a shower, my 13 year old saw that everything in the motorhome was operated with buttons and thought it was cool.

Last edited by Flatspot; 19 Apr 2004 at 13:34.
Old 19 Apr 2004, 16:10 (Ref:944320)   #15
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore

I must admit that I did not see the "Dangerous Curves" show that apparently aired a few hours before the race....so I can't comment on it...

However, AdamAdamshore's quote above, when it comes to her "during the race" segments, is my thought as well...

I feel that here race segments were yet another one of those "I am the eye candy"(even though she was tastefully dressed) who is about to share one of many:

"Features that no one gives a hoot in Hell about knowing" items during the race itself....

and you can expect a season-long string of "features" on these types of assinine subjects that no one cares about...

I'n not just picking on Bronte and SpikeTV...the Networks in the USA do the same stupid thing with Football, Basketball, Baseball, and yes...the "other league" has their own flavor of "eye candy" who has been assigned to do "stupid segments on subjects that no one cares about" as well...

As for me, just give me my racing "straight up," without a sugar-coated chaser that includes Paul Tracy's shower in his motorhome...

Because I couldn't care less....

But that's just me....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 19 Apr 2004, 16:13 (Ref:944325)   #16
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by enemy-ace
NASCAR has a tendency to do that sort of thing. I think to bring the drivers more into your living room. In NASCAR though you have 4hour races with lots of yellow to fit that type of stuff in. Yesterdays race was really yellow free though and didn't lend itself to segments like you mention Adam. I applaud the attempt to personalize the drivers though, hopefully they'll find a balance.
The profile piece they did on Nelson Philippe wasn't bad....a little shallow, but not too bad...

I don't mind a piece on a driver as a person...those types of stories make them real and accessible...

But the Motorhome tour was assinine...

Sorry....but it was a stupid segment....

Old 19 Apr 2004, 16:14 (Ref:944326)   #17
camcartfan
Racer

United States
Temeku
camcartfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You pretty much didn't have to watch Dangerous Curves, because most of it's content was broken up and re-aired during the race. However, this is Spike's first Champ Car broadcast and will hopefully work out all of the bugs before Monterrey.
Old 19 Apr 2004, 16:17 (Ref:944332)   #18
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
One final note:

To start off the "Motorhome Segment," as soon as Bronte opened her mouth, I thought:

God thing she is a model...because her delivery was very stiff and contrived....

But maybe she did better on "Dangerous Curves"...I didn't see it and can't judge it...

and maybe she'll warm up or losen up as she gets more experience....

but she didn't make a very good first impression with here delivery in that "motorhome" piece...

Old 19 Apr 2004, 16:20 (Ref:944339)   #19
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Quote:
Originally posted by camcartfan
You pretty much didn't have to watch Dangerous Curves, because most of it's content was broken up and re-aired during the race. However, this is Spike's first Champ Car broadcast and will hopefully work out all of the bugs before Monterrey.

Since OWRS is paying for the telecasts, who is actually producing them???

For a first itme, it wasn't half bad (the race coverage)....but it could use some "de-bugging"....

that will come with time....

Old 19 Apr 2004, 17:21 (Ref:944406)   #20
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not as critical of the motorcoach segment. If you don't like it it's a good time to grab a beer. If they hadn't shown it we wouldn't know about the Indy 500 trophy from the fan which I am actually glad to know.

If we feel the need to complain about cheesy things it would be the bikini shots of Bronte just before she would start any segment. Yes, it's not pure motorsport but I don't mind it. I just hope they don't start showing Derek and Tommy in Speedos each time they're going to speak.
Old 19 Apr 2004, 17:48 (Ref:944467)   #21
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Quote:
Originally posted by Flatspot
I'm not as critical of the motorcoach segment. If you don't like it it's a good time to grab a beer. If they hadn't shown it we wouldn't know about the Indy 500 trophy from the fan which I am actually glad to know.

If we feel the need to complain about cheesy things it would be the bikini shots of Bronte just before she would start any segment. Yes, it's not pure motorsport but I don't mind it. I just hope they don't start showing Derek and Tommy in Speedos each time they're going to speak.

They could have included the "Indy 500" trophy in a "profile" piece on Paul Tracy (who would make a great subject for such a piece -- he is a colorful, quotable, and outspoken kind of guy) that actually had some meat to it....as opposed to doing the motorhome piece that was a "throw away" segment if I ever saw one to "leave on the cutting room floor."

BTW... I only wish that I would've been the guy to give Paul that trophy....I was at that race, in the 3rd Turn, and Paul DID pass Helio BEFORE the Yellow Light came on in the Short Chute....

As far as I'm concerned, Paul Tracy is the 2002 Indy 500 winner....

Old 19 Apr 2004, 18:08 (Ref:944501)   #22
Mags
Veteran

Mags should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Northcutt
As far as I'm concerned, Paul Tracy is the 2002 Indy 500 winner....
And TG knows he is, because there is proof, and the turn workers that were there, and all the evidence that was presented. We know who won, Paul knows who won.

Anyway, what does it matter? 33 is just a number now according to the owner of the track (what a slap in the face to every driver that busted his butt to make that cut), that race doesn't count anymore and it's not part of our series.
"I have a tendency to let my mind wander a bit during some of the yellow flag conditions; I look around, check out people in the stands, things like that" Darren Law - Lizard Extrordinaire and he's gonna be GT Leader and Brumos Porsche driver!
Old 19 Apr 2004, 18:26 (Ref:944533)   #23
Cameron H
Rookie

Cameron H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Northcutt
Since OWRS is paying for the telecasts...snip
Source? Show me where that is written.

Cam
Old 19 Apr 2004, 18:34 (Ref:944548)   #24
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
That's the way I've always understood it....

Is that incorrect????

If it is incorrect,

Did SpikeTV or OWRS ever release a figure as to how much SpikeTV is paying OWRS for the rights to telecast the races???

Or how many years the telecast contract is for????

If they did, I sure didn't see it...

Please enlighten me.....and I'm not being a smart ass by asking this...

I just don't recall seeing anything in the news or on this Forum that said that the SpikeTV deal is a revenue-generating deal via Spike TV paying for the broadcast rights....

I've always understood it as a "OWRS Buys the Airtime" deal like they've had the past couple of years....

If that's wrong, please set the record straight...

Old 19 Apr 2004, 18:38 (Ref:944550)   #25
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
jjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I never understood it to be that way Tim, although I never understood that SpikeTV was paying OWRS either. The only thing I do understand is that I don't know any of the details between the agreement, and I think thats how it is for all of us here. Undersootd? Cause I don't.