Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 1 Mar 2005, 15:01 (Ref:1239103)   #51
hawkenr
Racer

United Kingdom
Walton-on-Thames
hawkenr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zurich
I just don't understand the mentality of someone who buys a house near a racing circuit and complains about the noise. I wouldn't buy a house next to Heathrow and file a nuisance noise order against the planes.
Exactly, people like this are ars*holes. I have a mate who lives near Thruxton.....and moans about motorsport noise. MOVE you silly sod.....actually he's not really a friend anymore !!!!
Old 2 Mar 2005, 16:08 (Ref:1240184)   #52
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You may be interested to read a comment piece by Matt James in today's Motorsport News.
Old 2 Mar 2005, 20:34 (Ref:1240407)   #53
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agreed with every word of it.
When we were house hunting we looked around this house and fell in love with it. Driving away from it I saw a signpost that said Stansted 2 miles. Crikes I said - I am not living at the bottom of a runway. Thankfully there are 2 Stansteds and the noisy one is 45 minutes away
Old 3 Mar 2005, 08:30 (Ref:1240844)   #54
PipSqueak111
Racer

England
Deepest, darkest Devon
PipSqueak111 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I received a very warming reply to my letter to a North Wilts councillor, Richard Watkins:

"Thanks for your e mail. I live in the parish of Castle Combe, race Formula Ford, and agree with your sentiments. Please rest assured I will be doing my utmost to have this ban lifted.

Thanks for your support.

Richard Watkins
Councillor NWDC"

At least we know from this that we have a member of the council who should understand Castle Combe and motorsport in general. Good luck to Richard in putting the case forward for Castle Combe.
Old 3 Mar 2005, 09:47 (Ref:1240918)   #55
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Sent mine off to all council members last night.
Old 3 Mar 2005, 16:31 (Ref:1241300)   #56
gixxer
Veteran

England
trowbridge wilts
gixxer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Marcus pye's comments in [humble pye]autosport this week agree what we've all been saying,the only issue really is if the gt cars can run at 114dba otherwise they won't race!
Old 3 Mar 2005, 18:41 (Ref:1241441)   #57
davidjhorsley
Rookie

United Kingdom
Hartlepool
davidjhorsley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
more support

Thanks for your e mail. I live in the parish, agree with your sentiments, and will be doing my utmost to have the ban lifted.

Thanks for your support.

Richard Watkins
Councillor NWDC

Look like a lot of the councillors are agains it so good news
Old 3 Mar 2005, 19:35 (Ref:1241511)   #58
nyssa7
Racer

nyssa7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I emailed all the councillors on the list, can imagine they have some very swamped inboxes

I received the mail from Richard Watkins a day or two ago, and received the following tonight from Tom Briggs:

"I couldn't agree more - I think the situation we find ourselves in could have been avoided with a moments consideration and half an ounce of common sense. I hope we can reslove this sensibly and send the whingers back where they came from! "

So that's 2 councillors on the side of common sense then

Last edited by nyssa7; 3 Mar 2005 at 19:35.
Old 3 Mar 2005, 19:35 (Ref:1241512)   #59
G Tanner
Racer

England
Weston-super-Mare
G Tanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is an extract from the North Wilts 2001 Local Plan. It would suggest that a proper balance is required between the benefits to the local economy which the circuit brings against any perceived nuisance there may be.

"7.54 Noise. A Noise Abatement Order controls the level of noise emission in relation to the majority of permitted uses and has required the implementation of extensive earth banking and acoustic fencing by the operating company. These measures are designed to mitigate the effects of vehicles on the track and the public address system on nearby residences in the settlements of Castle Combe, Upper Castle Combe and Yatton Keynell and the hamlet of Long Dean. A balance has to be reached in decisions where disturbance is an issue between the amenities of residents, the needs and enjoyment of those who use the circuit and the economic and social well being of the area."

And this is the councils own words.
Old 3 Mar 2005, 19:58 (Ref:1241536)   #60
gixxer
Veteran

England
trowbridge wilts
would not be supprised if some members of the council who support our cause are left out on purpose as one or two of them knew nothing was going on,ive sent a letter the chief executive of nwdc Bob Marshall who the circuit has had many dealings with in the past.

The last time i wrote to him he did give a reasonable reply to the issues but we'll have to see this time!

hope its good news!
Old 3 Mar 2005, 20:01 (Ref:1241543)   #61
G Tanner
Racer

England
Weston-super-Mare
G Tanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't expect too much of a response. The council has just announced that they are not renewing his contract when it runs out in September.
Old 3 Mar 2005, 20:16 (Ref:1241557)   #62
gixxer
Veteran

England
trowbridge wilts
perhaps that could be a good thing!

Then again then may put someone in whose out to impress the locals or could even lift all the constraints on combe!

Just seen some large pigs fly over wiltshire
Old 4 Mar 2005, 14:09 (Ref:1242374)   #63
HiRich
Racer

HiRich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxer
Marcus pye's comments in [humble pye]autosport this week agree what we've all been saying,the only issue really is if the gt cars can run at 114dba otherwise they won't race!
Actually, I was quite disappointed by this. It is all too easy to instantly dismiss the complainers as NIMBYs. We all complain when government or big business tries to dismiss concerns this way. A far better (and more effective) route is to consider the situation from their side and see what merit there is in their argument. Noise is a very difficult issue, with:
- Several different objective and subjective measures.
- How they disrupt you (e.g. does it force you to keep the windows shut)?
- How reasonable is the attitude of the people causing the disturbance?
- How reasonable are the expectations of the complainers?
The effect is very subjective.

Now we do not have the absolute facts. We can make some reasonable assumptions:
- Absolute measurements have not worsened. Most probably they have improved in one or several measurements.
- Where we do have data, it does not appear to be a particularly unreasonable pattern of disturbance.
- National standards for acceptable noise have not tightened noticeably over the past years.
- The circuit has made significant efforts to reduce disturbance (a good attitude)
- Most, if not all, complainers should reasonably have been aware of the issue before they moved into the area.

I can relate this to my own experience (Heathrow flightpath), as can many of us with similar issues. Applying rational logic, and considering both sides of the argument, I still can see no merit in the complaint (unless they can provide some damning information that we are not aware of).

It's pedantic, I know, but we should all try to keep an open mind, and not just automatically dismiss the complaint. If you still disagree with the complaint, you have a much stronger argument AND gain the higher moral ground.
Old 4 Mar 2005, 14:57 (Ref:1242396)   #64
gixxer
Veteran

England
trowbridge wilts
Hirich
I find it extremely diffcult to keep an open mind on this subject when these nimby's which is exactly what they are move into the area and start complaining about the noise.
As far as i can remember [1970] a minorty and it is a small number just seem to have to winge about the slightest noise coming from the circuit or not in one case as one local rang the circuit to complain about the noise the karts were making one afternoon [bit diffcult really as they were not running at the time] and it turned out to be somebodys lawnmower in the village!
I do not and will not have any sympathy with anybody who moves to an area where it has a circuit or airport or anything which has some sort of noise on a regular basis.

Castle combe has bent over backwards to try to keep these people happy and what thanks do they get??

More complaints................nimby's just one pain in the a**e!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 4 Mar 2005, 15:56 (Ref:1242422)   #65
HiRich
Racer

HiRich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not disagreeing with you. I also find it extremely difficult. But if everyone takes a moment to at least try to consider the other argument, you're on much stronger ground when you suggest they could stick their head up their bottom to reduce the noise they hear.
Old 4 Mar 2005, 16:23 (Ref:1242439)   #66
verglas
Racer

verglas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxer

just seen some large pigs fly over wiltshire

I think you will find that they are Hercules aircraft from nearby RAF Lyneham. They make a noise as well, perhaps the nimbys are responsible for the proposed closure of the airbase
Old 4 Mar 2005, 18:54 (Ref:1242563)   #67
gixxer
Veteran

England
trowbridge wilts
ha ha but you maybe right

and yes i wish they would stick there heads up where the sun don't shine
Old 6 Mar 2005, 11:33 (Ref:1244348)   #68
gixxer
Veteran

England
trowbridge wilts
If anyone wants a draft letter to send to combe or the NWDC there's a good one on the web-site forum.

According to rodney gooch they are reciving a lot of support from not only within the council but all forms of motorsport which is excellent news!
Old 6 Mar 2005, 19:48 (Ref:1244842)   #69
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I suggest that the interested parties set up a fighting fund. A figure of several million should secure the problem. Solution: buy out the complainers, and let out their homes to motor racing enthusiats. They will then be able to take control of the council, and common sense can then prevail.

One thing worth noting - when the Church bells ring in the village - does anyone complain about the noise? When they have a village fete, and Morris and his friends have a dance on the village green, does anyone complain about the annoying jingle of those bells on their legs, or the beating of sticks accompanied by an accordian or fiddle? No? Well it's about time they did!
Why not get a scrutineer to turn up with a noise level meter and take some measurements.......

Consider a cunningly worded letter of support for Castle Combe on it's way.

Rob.
Old 6 Mar 2005, 20:04 (Ref:1244860)   #70
pitcrew
Racer

England
Uk
pitcrew should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racing59
I suggest that the interested parties set up a fighting fund. A figure of several million should secure the problem. Solution: buy out the complainers, and let out their homes to motor racing enthusiats. They will then be able to take control of the council, and common sense can then prevail.

One thing worth noting - when the Church bells ring in the village - does anyone complain about the noise? When they have a village fete, and Morris and his friends have a dance on the village green, does anyone complain about the annoying jingle of those bells on their legs, or the beating of sticks accompanied by an accordian or fiddle? No? Well it's about time they did!
Why not get a scrutineer to turn up with a noise level meter and take some measurements.......

Consider a cunningly worded letter of support for Castle Combe on it's way.

Rob.

HEHEHE thats the sprit! bloody bells hahaha
Old 6 Mar 2005, 20:28 (Ref:1244887)   #71
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
When anybody asks us what is the point of motor racing we should ask what is the point of Morris dancing.
Old 7 Mar 2005, 16:34 (Ref:1245742)   #72
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's a pastime where grown men (and sometimes women in this day and age) congregate together to enjoy themselves and entertain others in the process.

However, not everyone likes it, and some would like to see it stamped out as it occaisionally spoils their weekend relaxation.

Morris Dancing that is...

Rob.
Old 7 Mar 2005, 17:24 (Ref:1245783)   #73
gixxer
Veteran

England
trowbridge wilts
A bunch of men banging wood together!

just the thought and with bells on too no thanks!!!
Old 7 Mar 2005, 19:12 (Ref:1245873)   #74
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
Recieved a reply from one of the counsellors, who says he's received 60 emails. ONLY 60!!! This has been plugged on here, Pistonheads and SEATCupra.net

Good example of a lettter here :- http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/show...37&postcount=8 and http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/show...7&postcount=11 with all the email addresses further down the page (IIRC mods didnt like that bit)

Come on everyone. Even the letter is written for you earlier in this thread along with email addresses. Ever been to see a race anywhere, a trackday perhaps or even competed. Well you owe it to the motorsport industry to support this. Once one circuit has trouble with this, then they all will.
Old 7 Mar 2005, 19:27 (Ref:1245887)   #75
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd say that if everyone sends an identical letter they would carry less weight than if you actually spent a little time to write your own...