Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 11 Sep 2007, 16:48 (Ref:2009459)   #1751
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
McLaren being heavily fined and removed from the Constructors' championship is probably the most likely outcome. Lewis is the biggest PR gift F1 has received in years, I doubt his championship push would be scuppered unless there is really good cause for it.
Old 11 Sep 2007, 16:52 (Ref:2009464)   #1752
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote Red:"I don't really know how that will actually help.."

I think it isn't suppose to help, but rather, imo, mclaren want to scare Renault so that renault won't involve (or withdraw any information, maybe even testimonials) tthemselves in this case, especially near the hearing or at the hearing itself. Because according to most pitlane believe (to be verified) Renault is actually helping Ferrari lawyers build their case against Mclaren.
Old 11 Sep 2007, 16:54 (Ref:2009467)   #1753
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So it's OK for Renault to get involved but it's not OK for McLaren to try and ward them off?

I don't like it either way, FWIW. It is between Ferrari, McLaren and the WMSC.
Old 11 Sep 2007, 16:55 (Ref:2009470)   #1754
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gt_R
Hmm.. perhaps that's the reason why Mclaren is sure they will be "exoneration"...
If that's all he got pre-flop, I think Ron should fold at first opportunity. Flavio already announced that he's calling his raise.

[edit]:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gt_R
Quote Red:"I don't really know how that will actually help.."
I think it isn't suppose to help, but rather, imo, mclaren want to scare Renault so that renault won't involve (or withdraw any information, maybe even testimonials) tthemselves in this case, especially near the hearing or at the hearing itself. Because according to most pitlane believe (to be verified) Renault is actually helping Ferrari lawyers build their case against Mclaren.
Precisely.
Old 11 Sep 2007, 17:11 (Ref:2009493)   #1755
Red Bulldog
Racer

Canada
Beaver Bank, NS
Red Bulldog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Losing constructor points would be very expensive for McLaren, but it seems to me they either throw the book at them (banned for the rest of 07 and all of 08) or let them off completely.
The former would seriously affect all of F1 and major sponsors, so there would have to be some really damming evidence of serious wrong doing.
So I think McLaren will be exonerated.
Old 11 Sep 2007, 17:13 (Ref:2009495)   #1756
willb
Racer

willb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
shouldn't this be in the other thread?
Old 11 Sep 2007, 17:16 (Ref:2009497)   #1757
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to admit that I find it unlikely that McLaren's drivers will be significantly affected by the outcome - afterall the letter to the FIA did suggest that they wouldn't face sanctions if they were found to have had access to Ferrari's data. However, I suspect that the team will face a significant penalty, in order to put out an image that such actions will not be tolerated. Therefore, I suspect that removal from the Constructor's championship and a fine will probably be the most likely outcome.
Old 11 Sep 2007, 17:18 (Ref:2009498)   #1758
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think that, whatever happens (even if Ferrari have damning evidence), the most that should be done is fining individuals and disqualifying McLaren from this year's WCC. The WDC should remain totally unaffected, the drivers probably didn't even know their cars were illegal.
Old 11 Sep 2007, 17:57 (Ref:2009540)   #1759
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote Knowlesy:"So it's OK for Renault to get involved but it's not OK for McLaren to try and ward them off?"

Don't misunderstand it.

Renault's involvement is CLEARLY self-interest motivated. They afterall stand to benefit financially if their teams finish higher up the order... and Flavio probably want to "pay back" for Ron's tipping off FIA regarding the mass damper. For Flavio to even want to work with Ferrari (whom he doesnt seem to like alot), there must be a bigger reason to be involved.

Well, mclaren trying to ward off Renault is probably equally self-interest motivated too. But what is curious though is the question "Do Renault have information or evidence regarding the spy incident that can potentially incriminate Mclaren?" and by trying to ward off Renault, is Mclaren aware that they are warding off "evidence", thereby not wanting certain information to come out to light? And if these information are so sensitive to Mclaren, are they truths or rumours?

And with regards to Ron's strong support to "whistleblowing", why is he then withholding information that can cause Renault's exclusion (eg evidence/tip off of Renault doing something illegal?) until now?

But for Renault to then issue a statement to say they're not involved, clearly the "negotiation" initiated by Ron is taking some effects...
Old 11 Sep 2007, 18:22 (Ref:2009564)   #1760
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Apparently we can vote on what we think the outcome will be now!

http://www.crash.net/news_view~cid~1~id~154314.htm

What about our own poll?

They're all at it!

http://www.itv-f1.com/Home.aspx

Last edited by Marbot; 11 Sep 2007 at 18:31.
Old 11 Sep 2007, 18:35 (Ref:2009569)   #1761
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The official poll IS happening here on 10-10ths ON Thursday. YOU get to DECIDE what happens. CLEARLY this is DAFT.
Old 11 Sep 2007, 18:53 (Ref:2009592)   #1762
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
The official poll IS happening here on 10-10ths ON Thursday. YOU get to DECIDE what happens. CLEARLY this is DAFT.
Probably less daft than the scandal itself though.
Old 11 Sep 2007, 19:00 (Ref:2009597)   #1763
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
I still find it intersting the idea that the team can lose its championship points and such, but not the drivers theirs.

The car is either deemed to have been created via illegal means or it hasn't. Whether the drivers knowingly drove it as such is surely irrlevant? They have still gained, at the expensive of other drivers, irrespective of intent. I am not clamouring for driver expulsions or anything at all (I am quite happy for things to remain as they are), but I do find the logic behind one championship being somehow immune to the effects of said benefits kinda weird.

Unless, of course, any punishment is dished out in terms of Mclaren's actions, as opposed to anything specifically related to car-gains. In that situation, well, yes, a coherent case for separate culpability could be formulated.

It all hinges on the reasons for any punishment that occurs, to my mind.
Old 11 Sep 2007, 19:12 (Ref:2009608)   #1764
pottiella
Veteran

pottiella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton

Unless, of course, any punishment is dished out in terms of Mclaren's actions, as opposed to anything specifically related to car-gains. In that situation, well, yes, a coherent case for separate culpability could be formulated.

It all hinges on the reasons for any punishment that occurs, to my mind.
That's what I'm going on.

I think it'd be a travesty to effectively cancel the driver's championship as well. We have a great battle ahead, where even a Ferrari is still in contention ( would only take 1 bad race for McLaren) and the entire 2007 will go to waste otherwise. Fine the drivers by all means if the drivers need to be punished at all, but leave the driver's championship alone. At the end of the day, Ferrari have had reliability problems consistently which is why the drivers have fallen behind in the title chase - that isn't Mclaren's fault. Else the Ferrari drivers have been up there if not better than the McLaren to take race wins.

Whats more, is that since this whole spy case has started by the FIA, both McLaren and Ferrari have been developing their cars massively, and I cannot see how McLaren can do anything but their own genuine work to overhaul Ferrari's dominance at certain times of the championship, like at Monza after Turkey, so I think fair is fair, and it is pretty single minded and naive/ignorant to think McLaren have been this good lately as a result of this 780 page ferrari dossier.

By all means penalise McLaren if they've done something wrong; but the drivers have done their job absolutely fairly, setting up their cars with their engineers on developments that have gone way beyond what any 780 page dossier from Ferrari might have influenced. Too much goes too fast in F1 for a car in Monza to resemble the same team's car in Australia. Just ask Michael Schumacher who himself feels his ability to contribute to technical matters are dwindling fast because too much advances too quickly.

It is the only thing that can salvage something good for the sport this season - the driver's title.

Last edited by pottiella; 11 Sep 2007 at 19:15.
Old 11 Sep 2007, 19:13 (Ref:2009610)   #1765
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper
I have to admit that I find it unlikely that McLaren's drivers will be significantly affected by the outcome - afterall the letter to the FIA did suggest that they wouldn't face sanctions if they were found to have had access to Ferrari's data.
This is what the letter 'actually' says.

"I can confirm, given the importance of this issue, that any information you may make available in response to this letter will not result in any proceedings against you under the international sporting code of the Formula One regulations".
Old 11 Sep 2007, 19:20 (Ref:2009621)   #1766
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
In the event wrongdoing has occured, surely the FIA would be acting inconsistently if they don't penalize the driver. Jenson Button was banned for several races for running an illegal fuel tank. Why ? Because he and his championship position derived benefit from the illegality. I can't see why the McLaren pair would be any different. Remember, the FIA cannot and should not dish out penalties based on how exciting the championship is at any point in time.
Old 11 Sep 2007, 19:25 (Ref:2009625)   #1767
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
That is what I was getting at, davyboy.

If they punish in terms of car-gains, then it would be absolutely illogical to affect only the WCC.

I can only assume they intend to punish on the basis of team actions, as opposed to car-gains, for that is the only way I can see to be able to leave the WDC unaffected without contradiction.
Old 11 Sep 2007, 19:27 (Ref:2009626)   #1768
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy
Remember, the FIA cannot and should not dish out penalties based on how exciting the championship is at any point in time.
Maybe they'll decide to "Party Like It's 1999"...
Old 11 Sep 2007, 19:37 (Ref:2009634)   #1769
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy

And then the world could end...
Old 11 Sep 2007, 19:42 (Ref:2009644)   #1770
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton
That is what I was getting at, davyboy.

If they punish in terms of car-gains, then it would be absolutely illogical to affect only the WCC.

I can only assume they intend to punish on the basis of team actions, as opposed to car-gains, for that is the only way I can see to be able to leave the WDC unaffected without contradiction.
HHmmm, I know. However that kinda contradicts why they would drag McLaren back in. They said before that the team had acted illegally but wouldn't be punished because there was no evidence they'd benefited from it. In other words its the benefit that attracts the punishment... in which case the drivers should suffer too.

I get the feeling that FIA seem to be in some way stating that the driver doesn't know what's happening with the team/car and is only accountable for what he does on track. Therefore even if he benefits, he doesn't know he's benefiting and therefore doesn't get punished... wierd eh !
Old 11 Sep 2007, 19:45 (Ref:2009648)   #1771
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
Except all that decision followed was exact limits as outlined in the regulations.

However, I realise that isn't good enough.

Yes, davyboy, indeed, it is kinda weird. It is how the FIA are going to explain all this in the event of any punishments that interests me most.

Given Max is so keen on using logical fallacies as proof of his own correctness (a logical fallacy in itself, really), well, I look forward with interest to see how he formulates any required explanations.

Last edited by Dutton; 11 Sep 2007 at 19:48.
Old 11 Sep 2007, 19:49 (Ref:2009654)   #1772
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Leg pulling.
Old 11 Sep 2007, 19:49 (Ref:2009656)   #1773
pottiella
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy
In the event wrongdoing has occured, surely the FIA would be acting inconsistently if they don't penalize the driver.
yes, a bit like how inconsistent they are being in this whole case of information transfer...of course Toyota weren't a threat to Ferrrari when it happened a few years back, nor is Spyker and Torro Rosso with almost exactly the same scenario where the one lot openly admitted getting hold of the other team's secret info...

If the FIA were consistent at all, nobody would have issue, or be cynical about this whole case, or their motivations. They are shamelessly inconsistent...

There you have the FIA, ladies and gentlemen.
Old 11 Sep 2007, 20:03 (Ref:2009669)   #1774
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
By Dutton
The car is either deemed to have been created via illegal means or it hasn't. Whether the drivers knowingly drove it as such is surely irrlevant?
The car itself wasn't illegal during the race according to the technical regulations. That is the sporting side of it. If it had then the stewards would have dealt with it. The argument is over the business/commercial side of the sport. Was there a breach of intellectual property and was there benefit from it.
Had McLaren gone and sought out Ferrari information and paid for it, absolutely wrong. A distinct deliberate criminal action.
Having a Ferrari employee allegedly distribute information he had no right to for no direct financial gain, simply to hurt his employer, is not the same degree of criminality on the recipient of the the information. Wrong to use the intellectual property yes, but how many tip off's happen in business and sport with no repurcussions.... So what is the evidence and can you prove a distinct gain from the dossier...

If the information in the dossier was not processed by the McLaren factory and incorporated into the design of the cars, then it is hard to prove, which is what the first hearing realised.

What they have to decide now is if the information they are getting is accurate and if it warrants a penalty....
And if so, what penalty.

And they must get it right, both under FIA 'law' and civil law, or the FIA could find itself backing up to a $200 million damages suit.

Last edited by Teretonga; 11 Sep 2007 at 20:08.
Old 11 Sep 2007, 20:36 (Ref:2009697)   #1775
pottiella
Veteran

what a great article.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns19615.html
Closed Thread