Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 10 Jan 2012, 06:23 (Ref:3009667)   #1426
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I came across this article talking about the F1 teams and suppliers being upset about the Bahrain F1 race still. There's some interesting stuff in there. I'm not sure how much relevance there is with the WEC race, but it's hard to imagine that the companies involved with the WEC aren't thinking the same things even if it is a much, much lower profile event.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/andrewben..._concerns.html
Old 11 Jan 2012, 11:20 (Ref:3010185)   #1427
wewantourdarbyback
Veteran

United Kingdom
Surrey
wewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by vyselegend View Post
Sorry if this was already mentioned, but I just noticed the WEC official website is beta-running already:

http://www.fiawec.com/

Let's hope they make it clean and practical...

Nice video.
Old 27 Jan 2012, 07:43 (Ref:3017630)   #1428
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It sounds like chaos might be returning to Bahrain again this year. There are reports/allegations of more uprising/torture related deaths in recent days and it seems the protesters are becoming more violent. The US is also moving Embassy employees in Bahrain to safer locations due to the unrest. But, hey, Bernie says Bahrain is just dandy so it must be true!
Old 27 Jan 2012, 09:18 (Ref:3017663)   #1429
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
One bit of info which seems to have slipped under the radar is that the entry deadline appears to have been extended in the aftermath of the Peugeot pull-out.

Looks like you could still enter the WEC now if you wanted. This was just retweeted by Rebellion.

Quote:
@SportSystemeSPS SportSysteme
Following late Peugeot withdrawal from the FIA WEC, FIA and ACO have decided to extend entry deadline of the WEC until 31st Jan.
I wonder what implications that will have if any. Might the Feb 2 date for entry list announcements get pushed back?
Old 27 Jan 2012, 09:26 (Ref:3017667)   #1430
AGD
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
I wonder what implications that will have if any. Might the Feb 2 date for entry list announcements get pushed back?
Good question, but I don't know. Is the ACO hoping that Peugeot will change their mind? Or that others will come out of the woodwork now that Peugeot is done? I'm not really sure why there needs to be an extension because of Peugeot, but we'll see.

Another small oddity is that Ullrich was saying yesterday (at least in an article that was released yesterday) that Audi's participation in the WEC is unconfirmed but likely. Unconfirmed? I assume that it is confirmed or not internally and maybe they are waiting to announce things publicly, but when is that going to happen? When the entry list is revealed? Surely Audi sent in a completed entry form whether their participation is in limbo or not. Not that I think it is in limbo, but I don't know. Maybe they don't want to commit to doing every event at this juncture now that they don't have to? Maybe they are waiting to see whether they want to race the R18 or R18H so they can announce everything publicly at once? Who knows. It's just odd that it's almost February and we still don't know which races the heavy hitters are going to be in for sure.
Old 27 Jan 2012, 09:57 (Ref:3017686)   #1431
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
One bit of info which seems to have slipped under the radar is that the entry deadline appears to have been extended in the aftermath of the Peugeot pull-out.
I doubt the decision would have been made without a specific request (or requests) from potential entrants. Very interesting.
Old 27 Jan 2012, 10:17 (Ref:3017695)   #1432
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
A decoy for Toyota.
Old 27 Jan 2012, 10:21 (Ref:3017698)   #1433
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03 View Post
I doubt the decision would have been made without a specific request (or requests) from potential entrants. Very interesting.
Henri asked for help. Or maybe it was extended in the belief that a private Peugeot could be sorted. Maybe Audi got the jitters and had to go for a long walk to think for a few days. I would hope the shiny new TS030 has convinced them they have competition this year.
Old 27 Jan 2012, 10:23 (Ref:3017699)   #1434
AGD
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
A decoy for Toyota.
You would think that Toyota would have entered the WEC regardless of whether they plan on going for the championship, but maybe not? Besides, I would think that Audi, Toyota, Peugeot, or anyone like that could show up at Sebring the week of the race and be allowed to race for the championship even if that race week was the first time the ACO heard about the effort!
Old 27 Jan 2012, 11:12 (Ref:3017716)   #1435
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGD View Post
You would think that Toyota would have entered the WEC regardless of whether they plan on going for the championship, but maybe not? Besides, I would think that Audi, Toyota, Peugeot, or anyone like that could show up at Sebring the week of the race and be allowed to race for the championship even if that race week was the first time the ACO heard about the effort!
Of course, I don't think factory entries have to pay much attention to deadlines like that, the ACO will always roll out the red carpet for them.

Kind of odd decision, I don't see how Peugeot's withdrawal would motivate any other entries to join the WEC, if anything it has weakened the upcoming season.
Old 27 Jan 2012, 12:15 (Ref:3017748)   #1436
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
yeah, i can't see that either, but the optimist in me says they've got wind of a way to get a private Peugeot in. Or to give Pescarolo longer to tie a sponsorship deal together.

It's probably only for an entry or two so I doubt they'll move their 2 Feb announcement date, especially as it's usually done at a glitzy ceremony with plenty of journalists present. Hope they'll stream the announcement on RLM again this year.
Old 27 Jan 2012, 12:27 (Ref:3017757)   #1437
AGD
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Davies View Post
yeah, i can't see that either, but the optimist in me says they've got wind of a way to get a private Peugeot in. Or to give Pescarolo longer to tie a sponsorship deal together.
Perhaps it's something with Peugeot, but perhaps teams like Muscle Milk or Dyson, who perhaps turned down entries, might become more interested with Peugeot not in the picture. Who knows what the ACO's intention is because it seems like everyone is just guessing.

If someone does enter in late, I wonder what the first team or two on the reserve list will think! I'm sure they will not be amused.

Quote:
It's probably only for an entry or two so I doubt they'll move their 2 Feb announcement date, especially as it's usually done at a glitzy ceremony with plenty of journalists present. Hope they'll stream the announcement on RLM again this year.

The Motorsport Total article being discussed in the Peugeot thread seems to imply that the announcements will go on as scheduled. As for RLM, their coverage last year seemed to be mostly Hindy reading off the ACO's PowerPoint slides! It's better than nothing I guess.
Old 28 Jan 2012, 06:55 (Ref:3018054)   #1438
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGD View Post
It sounds like chaos might be returning to Bahrain again this year. There are reports/allegations of more uprising/torture related deaths in recent days and it seems the protesters are becoming more violent. The US is also moving Embassy employees in Bahrain to safer locations due to the unrest. But, hey, Bernie says Bahrain is just dandy so it must be true!
I really don't like seeing motorsport being associated with regimes like the one in Bahrain, it doesn't do it any favours.
Old 28 Jan 2012, 07:51 (Ref:3018066)   #1439
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I really don't like seeing motorsport being associated with regimes like the one in Bahrain, it doesn't do it any favours.
Motorsport shouldn't care what regime the races are in. As long as the regime stays out of motorsport, then motorsport should stay out of politics!

Sport and politic doesnt match, therefor it not sensible for anything other than cheap PR points, and saving them of the discussion of Sport and Politics.

The Olympics where held under the Nazi rule and Stalins communism, the Bahrain regime doesn't come close to those two in terms of cruelty!
Old 28 Jan 2012, 09:06 (Ref:3018075)   #1440
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
"Sport and politics doesn't match", unfortunately they already matched when the race was put in the calendar. It's an oxymoron in this case.
Old 28 Jan 2012, 09:20 (Ref:3018078)   #1441
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
Motorsport shouldn't care what regime the races are in. As long as the regime stays out of motorsport, then motorsport should stay out of politics!

Sport and politic doesnt match, therefor it not sensible for anything other than cheap PR points, and saving them of the discussion of Sport and Politics.

The Olympics where held under the Nazi rule and Stalins communism, the Bahrain regime doesn't come close to those two in terms of cruelty!
The Olympics were never held under Stalins regime but that's beside the point. Politics and sport don't mix and motorsport should care what regimes it races in.
Old 28 Jan 2012, 10:42 (Ref:3018114)   #1442
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
The Olympics were never held under Stalins regime but that's beside the point. Politics and sport don't mix and motorsport should care what regimes it races in.
No, but it was still Stalinism which ruled, and people was still treated in humain.

You contradict yourself when saying sport and politics don't mix and then state that motorsport should care. Once motorsport say "we wont race because of how you treat your people", they become political.
Democracy is not a right its a political choice.
Old 28 Jan 2012, 10:50 (Ref:3018117)   #1443
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
No, but it was still Stalinism which ruled, and people was still treated in humain.

You contradict yourself when saying sport and politics don't mix and then state that motorsport should care. Once motorsport say "we wont race because of how you treat your people", they become political.
Democracy is not a right its a political choice.
I don't contradict my self at all. By racing in a place such as Bahrain motorsports is associating itself with the regime. It's not a matter of "we wont race because of how you treat your people", it's a matter of not racing there in the first place.
Old 28 Jan 2012, 11:29 (Ref:3018128)   #1444
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
Sergiev Posad, Moscow Region, Russian Fe
helgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Oh, gosh! At UAE all women must wear paranja and you can not even take a photo of some sultans' palaces. But it doesn't stop someone to race in Dubai. What politics are you talking about? It's all about money.
Old 28 Jan 2012, 11:31 (Ref:3018129)   #1445
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by helgi View Post
Oh, gosh! At UAE all women must wear paranja and you can not even take a photo of some sultans' palaces. But it doesn't stop someone to race in Dubai. What politics are you talking about? It's all about money.
Of course it's about money.
Old 28 Jan 2012, 15:41 (Ref:3018192)   #1446
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Quote:
I don't contradict my self at all. By racing in a place such as Bahrain motorsports is associating itself with the regime. It's not a matter of "we wont race because of how you treat your people", it's a matter of not racing there in the first place.
No it's not!
YOU (and some people in general) is making that assumption that those to things have something to do with each other.

Like the Olympics and the Nazi rule!, people didn't see the Olympics associating themselves with the Nazi's.

When you start thinking that racing is associating themselves with the regime/government because they race in that country, then you mix two things which shouldn't be mixed.

And a nice comparison is China, as F1 and Sportscars shouldn't race there because that they allow torture.
Motorsport should NOT lay pressure on regimes/goverments to change into something "more acceptable", because then they lobby, which is a part of politics.

If Baharain, got a good track, can add something interesting to the World Championships and have the money needed to race, then should a public uprising not disturb it, unless it posses a security risk.
Old 28 Jan 2012, 16:09 (Ref:3018206)   #1447
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
No it's not!
YOU (and some people in general) is making that assumption that those to things have something to do with each other.

Like the Olympics and the Nazi rule!, people didn't see the Olympics associating themselves with the Nazi's.

When you start thinking that racing is associating themselves with the regime/government because they race in that country, then you mix two things which shouldn't be mixed.

And a nice comparison is China, as F1 and Sportscars shouldn't race there because that they allow torture.
Motorsport should NOT lay pressure on regimes/goverments to change into something "more acceptable", because then they lobby, which is a part of politics.

If Baharain, got a good track, can add something interesting to the World Championships and have the money needed to race, then should a public uprising not disturb it, unless it posses a security risk.
They have every bit to do with each other, it's just people would rather turn a blind eye, hence the Olympics in Nazi Germany and particularly where money is concerned, hence the GP in China.
Old 28 Jan 2012, 16:21 (Ref:3018213)   #1448
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Quote:
They have every bit to do with each other, it's just people would rather turn a blind eye, hence the Olympics in Nazi Germany and particularly where money is concerned, hence the GP in China.
It would be the same as saying racing in France under Sarkozy, is associating oneself with his politics.

The problems starts when people starts to draw parallels between things which doesn't have to have any thing to do with the race itself!

But if it's money which rule, then there is NO idea in why F1 and WEC shouldn't run in Bahrain.
Old 28 Jan 2012, 19:42 (Ref:3018292)   #1449
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It doesn't matter what your political views are, the current regime in Bahrain aren't exactly a pleasant bunch.

Having a race there covers up the issues. It benefits the ruling elite, and not the masses. It gives the regime an opportunity to show everything's fine, that Bahrain can run a race as well as anywhere else in the world.

Unless you believe that Bahrain has a race track purely because they love racing, you're deeply misguided. They have a circuit for economic and political reasons. It's a propaganda tool - just like the '36 olympics became for the Nazis.

The point is, even by racing at a country like Barhain, the sport is getting involved in politics. As bjohnsonsmith says - we shouldn't even be talking about racing there.

I don't see how not racing in a country is seen as "getting politically involved". Maybe the WEC should visit every country in the world, as a country not being on the calendar is a sign that the FIA dissaproves of that government?!

The whole thing is totally political for the FIA who have a lot of interest in the region. People say money talks - yes, it does for the people stamping the "world" in to the series title but as for the ACO and the actuall competitors, how much do they want to be there?

I agree politics and motorsport do not mix. So we should not be racing in Bahrain. But unfortunately, with regimes in the Middle East and governing bodies like the FIA, politics and motorsport have been mixed.
Old 28 Jan 2012, 21:11 (Ref:3018311)   #1450
AndrewF31
Veteran

Canada
Spain
AndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And that happens because only Money is taken into account with businesses. That's why so many regimes exist out there. Just like the Olympics and other sports, motor sports can also be used to falsely show a country is alright.
If the racing could happen without any attempt to use it as a banner of righteousness, it would be alright but it will happen.
Look at the Moscow Olympics and the Los Angeles Olympics. Each of the 'super powers' boycotted each other claiming the other country was evil. Each country/culture/peoples see others in their own way.