Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Jan 2004, 16:41 (Ref:835581)   #1
eein
Racer

eein should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sauber to use same engine as ferrari in 04

http://www.itv-f1.com/news/news_story/19366

I wonder if it will have the same power? I would reckon so as there is no way Sauber's car will be as good a Ferrari's, so it will probably be slower.

Ferrari say its coz of the regulation changes that they have done this, but I reckon it will be useful for them for other reasons. i.e. they are essentailly running 4 engines per race and I would speculate that part of the agreement is that Sauber give Ferrari all the race data so that they can use it to help develop further.
Old 12 Jan 2004, 16:44 (Ref:835584)   #2
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Yes, I noticed that on the Sauber website. They are also using Ferrari's gearbox. Once that wind tunnel gets up and running, they might make significant steps. Forza Giancarlo!
Old 12 Jan 2004, 16:46 (Ref:835589)   #3
davebreen
Racer

Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
davebreen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Sauber to use same engine as ferrari in 04

Quote:
Originally posted by eein
[Ferrari say its coz of the regulation changes that they have done this, but I reckon it will be useful for them for other reasons. i.e. they are essentailly running 4 engines per race and I would speculate that part of the agreement is that Sauber give Ferrari all the race data so that they can use it to help develop further. [/B]
Well Jordan are meant to be running with the same engine as Jaguar because of the new engine rule.

http://www.f1i.com/articles/ARTICLE_545393.html

I wonder will they get the engine developments and evolutions during the season from Ferrari/Ford though?

Last edited by davebreen; 12 Jan 2004 at 16:48.
Old 12 Jan 2004, 16:52 (Ref:835596)   #4
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
hopefully its good news for Giancarlo!!
Old 12 Jan 2004, 16:52 (Ref:835597)   #5
Testure
Veteran

Testure should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Re: Sauber to use same engine as ferrari in 04

Quote:
Originally posted by davebreen
I wonder will they get the engine developments and evolutions during the season from Ferrari/Ford though?
Apparently Jordan will: http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...threadid=47848, though I doubt if Sauber will.

Last edited by Testure; 12 Jan 2004 at 16:53.
Old 12 Jan 2004, 16:55 (Ref:835601)   #6
Tiptop
Racer

United Kingdom
Bristol
Tiptop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe Sauber will change the team name in the future to ferrari and change the colours of the car to red.

Perhaps even offer TGF a drive once his contract is up at ferrari...TGF did say he would see his days out at formula one in the same team ?
Old 12 Jan 2004, 17:12 (Ref:835626)   #7
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't see the reason why anybody would speculate anything more into the deal.

The new engine regulations make it unlikely that Ferrari had any choice but to supply the same engine to Sauber at the start of 2004. It's the same deal with Jaguar

Why should Ferrari worry? Given the same tyres/engine, Ferrari's car is far more developed than that of Sauber to feel much threat.

The only difference is that when updates for the engine start to come, Sauber would get them later than Ferrari.
And the gearbox is the 7speeder from last year's Ferrari.
Old 12 Jan 2004, 17:18 (Ref:835633)   #8
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think people speculate more into the deal because it makes sense. For Ferrari to accumulate as much data as available can only be a good thing. Especially when engine reliability is at a premium this year.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 12 Jan 2004, 17:39 (Ref:835660)   #9
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
might they be running as such to make essentially a 4 car team on track?
Sauber will never pass a ferrari and no one will pass a slower sauber if it means it will be a threat to the red team... and if one ferrari is left then it should be a sauber fighting to get one podium and one sauber should wreck out a maclaren or williams
Old 12 Jan 2004, 17:47 (Ref:835674)   #10
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This was always likely to be the case, and it's a great advantage for Sauber, especially if the wind tunnel's as good as they think and Massa's really improved in the past year.

If updates won't be provided immedaitely when Ferrari get them, a typical Sauber season of being gradually less competitive, but reliable, could be in the offing.
Old 12 Jan 2004, 17:54 (Ref:835682)   #11
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
*yawn* if there are so many "benefits" for Ferrari, then why oh why doesn't Mr Selfish Mercedes go about taking another team under it's wings???
Old 12 Jan 2004, 18:30 (Ref:835733)   #12
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Gt_R
The new engine regulations make it unlikely that Ferrari had any choice but to supply the same engine to Sauber at the start of 2004. It's the same deal with Jaguar

Does anybody know if it's the same deal for Minardi (and Ford) or are they using 2002/3 spec engines where their usability life will see them breakdown about a quarter of the way into the race?

Last edited by Mr V; 12 Jan 2004 at 18:31.
Old 12 Jan 2004, 18:30 (Ref:835736)   #13
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The new ferrari engine is reportedly LIGHTER. Surprising really.
Old 12 Jan 2004, 19:43 (Ref:835821)   #14
eein
Racer

eein should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Re: Sauber to use same engine as ferrari in 04

Quote:
I wonder will they get the engine developments and evolutions during the season from Ferrari/Ford though? [/B]
To speculate a bit more into it (coz if we didnt speculate into stuff then we wouldnt have much of a forum!), I wonder if there are any deals to give 'test' parts to the 'under the wing' teams to get some race-stress data on them? Small developments parts will rarely yield a massive improvement, but may be risky for reliability, so big teams may want them tested more. And as they are only likely to yield very small improvements, they are not going to make the 'under the wing' team's cars faster than there own.
Old 12 Jan 2004, 21:31 (Ref:835907)   #15
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Stuff Ferrari. If it helps Sauber's competitiveness, then I'm all for it.
Old 12 Jan 2004, 22:50 (Ref:835998)   #16
rpolinski
Racer

Australia
rpolinski should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does that mean the Rubens blowup button will be renamed the Rubens/Sauber blowup button.
Old 13 Jan 2004, 10:41 (Ref:836423)   #17
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i recon Ferrai will drop 20bhp and then give Sauber the engine, it doesnt make sence rto inhibit them too much, every point scoring place is one taken away from Mclaren, Williams or Renault!