Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 6 Sep 2007, 10:08 (Ref:2005028)   #26
brielga
Veteran

Uruguay
Bloemendaal, Netherlands
brielga should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it was an LMP2 drive but I'm not telling which...you know I like surprising! The 2 pros that were hinted were indeed Bleekemolen but also Peter Kox, this seems to be derailed now as only one "can" be recruited.
Old 6 Sep 2007, 11:22 (Ref:2005075)   #27
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman
Well, again that is a matter of opinion. In my opinion, developing outrageously pro-diesel rules in detriment of all others is not exactly "enhancing" motor sport. Where is the ACO's concern with lesser finically capable teams when they drew up those set of regs? Did they not know that the diesel "adventure" is way out of reach of most teams (even in P1)
At the risk of taking this thread utterly off-topic, history shows the FIA are just as capable of this kind of decisionmaking- remember the adoption of the 3.5 litre Group C regs in 1989-92....?
Old 6 Sep 2007, 11:51 (Ref:2005100)   #28
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA
At the risk of taking this thread utterly off-topic, history shows the FIA are just as capable of this kind of decisionmaking- remember the adoption of the 3.5 litre Group C regs in 1989-92....?
To be honest, I don't remember.
Regardless, two wrongs don't make a right.
I'm not a fan of the FIA either, in fact, I'm not a fan of many governing bodies these days.
Old 6 Sep 2007, 11:56 (Ref:2005103)   #29
cptkablamo
Veteran

Australia
cptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I mention the pro-am style is a better alternative then say a restictor because I don't like having poorly thought through mechanical changes without applying them across the board - which in this case would defeat the point of trying to level out the field. Afterall we have seen that it didn't work in the ALMS - all it did was annoy the teams and confuse the fans.

And KA brings up a good point - remember what the FIA did to sportscar racing and Le Mans - everything there is only a trick to enhance F1.

P1 can take manufacturers where P2 is a privateers - so the diesel thing is only a problem to that is that it doesn't bring in great racing - but also don't forget last year Pescarolo won each race in the LMS, and the Audi R8 was seldom beaten...not such a problem with diesel regs but the fact that they are factory outfits...

Maybe the plans by the ACO for pro-am won't work, maybe they will, maybe they will demand the same from BMS - we will see...

...but if (say) Briscoe or Long were to race in P2 in the LMS - it would be unhealthy - where in the ALMS, it would be good, they are different series with different needs - I think we will have to see the result before we make a final judgement...

...but if Briscoe leaves for the IRL, would there be anyone else other than Long, or for that matter, one of the other slated CET drivers???
Old 6 Sep 2007, 12:02 (Ref:2005109)   #30
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Any of the Porsche GT2 drivers would qualify .... Henzler,Bergmeister etc etc
Old 6 Sep 2007, 12:19 (Ref:2005133)   #31
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Bergmeister won't drive an LMP, he's too big. He had even problems to find enough room for his feet in the Alex Job Crawford DP.
Old 6 Sep 2007, 12:25 (Ref:2005137)   #32
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Please can we stick to the potential drivers of the Penske Porsches next year in this thread. We do not need another thread about governing bodies and class rules. There are plenty of threads to discuss that in, or even create a new one if they don't fit the bill. Thank you.
Old 6 Sep 2007, 13:49 (Ref:2005197)   #33
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Is Pompidou a works driver or a Farnbacher driver ? He's a quick little dude
Old 6 Sep 2007, 14:18 (Ref:2005230)   #34
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yes, quite a nippy little chap. I don't think he's a works driver......yet.
Old 6 Sep 2007, 15:31 (Ref:2005302)   #35
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think Henzler would make a great choice. I'd like to see how he'd get on with the RS Spyder.
Old 6 Sep 2007, 16:47 (Ref:2005385)   #36
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm not sure Henzler is actually a factory driver this year (or ever). Porsche maintains contacts with a number of drivers that they like to help achieve rides in their cars but aren't managed in the same way as the official pilots (who have to earn their places in the Weissach shootout which Lietz and Westbrook had some interesting comments about at Daytona). At least that is how I understand it. People like Wolf Henzler, Marc Basseng, Ralf Kelleners and Xavier Pompidou fit this bill afaik.

I think Pat Long would be the most likely candidate from the current list, with Manu Collard a close second (only because of lack of NA experience, he's a better proto pilot) and I suppose Lietz would be the 3rd most likely. Of course, the list of official pilots might well change next year. I'm not sure whether the total number expands or contracts each year because I'm too lazy to look, but if Briscoe were to leave than it would seem logical that a new factory spot would open up. Could be someone from the current or past Porsche Junior ranks, or someone from the Carerra Cups, or a total random!
Old 6 Sep 2007, 16:54 (Ref:2005392)   #37
ThePenguin
Veteran

United States
United States
ThePenguin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk
Could be someone from the current or past Porsche Junior ranks, or someone from the Carerra Cups, or a total random!
I doubt we will see any driver there except for a proven professional driver who has had a lot of experience driving Porsches in Le Mans racing.
Old 6 Sep 2007, 18:11 (Ref:2005481)   #38
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
There are currently 9 "works" drivers and two "junior Team"drivers.

Here is the link:http://www.porsche.com/usa/eventsand.../worksdrivers/
Old 6 Sep 2007, 19:00 (Ref:2005534)   #39
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePenguin
I doubt we will see any driver there except for a proven professional driver who has had a lot of experience driving Porsches in Le Mans racing.
Allan McNish is joining Penske?
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 6 Sep 2007, 19:14 (Ref:2005554)   #40
ThePenguin
Veteran

United States
United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul-collins
Allan McNish is joining Penske?
I don't know if he is going there, but Allan McNish would probably be a great fit at Porsche, assuming that he can get away from Audi Sport North America.
Old 6 Sep 2007, 23:28 (Ref:2005726)   #41
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Is this inside information? Because otherwise, I think it's totally off-base. We're talking about replacing a driver who didn't have any experience driving Porsches in Le Mans racing before this gig!

Thanks for confirming my factory driver comments Spyderman.
Old 7 Sep 2007, 00:11 (Ref:2005743)   #42
The Badger
Veteran

So , where exactly does Wolf Henzler stand ..... is he a Porsche "supported" driver , but not a member of the works squad ?
Old 7 Sep 2007, 00:18 (Ref:2005744)   #43
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
Not a works driver, that's for sure. Friend of Uwe Brettel so to speak? Probably...

Certainly he's not been seen in anything but a Porsche since his Farnbacher days in Supercup.
Old 7 Sep 2007, 02:58 (Ref:2005777)   #44
ThePenguin
Veteran

United States
United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk
Is this inside information? Because otherwise, I think it's totally off-base. We're talking about replacing a driver who didn't have any experience driving Porsches in Le Mans racing before this gig!
Let me explain my post. No I do not have any inside information it was just speculation. Ryan Briscoe was a driver out of the blue, but the rest of the Penske drivers have had plenty of experience driving Porsches in several series. And that is why I think that the driver that they will get to replace him will have plenty of experience driving Porsches like the other current drivers.
Old 7 Sep 2007, 13:08 (Ref:2006072)   #45
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Mike Rockenfeller is back in the AJR Crawford Porsche DP for the race at SLC.
Maybe he will be the one?
Old 7 Sep 2007, 20:48 (Ref:2006392)   #46
brielga
Veteran

Uruguay
Bloemendaal, Netherlands
brielga should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rocky is still an Audi driver...unless his Tertre Rouge spin has put him out of Ingolstadt already which I seriously doubt
Old 1 Oct 2007, 22:48 (Ref:2028397)   #47
ThePenguin
Veteran

United States
United States
This is just pure unbased speculation, but with Ralf Schumacher leaving Toyota F1 next year do you think that there is any chance of seeing him in this seat next year. He is a German and a very fast one too, and it doesn't look like he will be getting a new F1 seat, but it looks like he wants to continue racing.
Old 1 Oct 2007, 23:12 (Ref:2028410)   #48
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
This is just pure unbased speculation, but with Ralf Schumacher leaving Toyota F1 next year do you think that there is any chance of seeing him in this seat next year. He is a German and a very fast one too, and it doesn't look like he will be getting a new F1 seat, but it looks like he wants to continue racing.
I kind of thought the same thing, only with Peugeot. Didn't Audi already dismiss Ralf as a potential DTM pilot? Thought I read that sometime back.
Old 1 Oct 2007, 23:59 (Ref:2028432)   #49
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I can't believe that either Audi or Porsche wouldn't be thrilled to have Ralf driving for them next year in either LMP1 or LMP2!

DK
Old 2 Oct 2007, 01:56 (Ref:2028480)   #50
NightStalk3r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wiltshire, England
NightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxk1
I can't believe that either Audi or Porsche wouldn't be thrilled to have Ralf driving for them next year in either LMP1 or LMP2!

DK
why would they be thrilled to have there cars smashed up every race?