Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 15 Nov 2023, 18:54 (Ref:4186044)   #401
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Understood but the overall tone is somewhat pessimistic.
Old 15 Nov 2023, 19:24 (Ref:4186049)   #402
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Incredible how times change, I went to the 24 several years running in the '90's and early 20's. At one event I think possibly 1999 I was on my own for race day leaving my wife at the campsite 15 miles away and I drove up to the Porsche curves at 5:30am before the gendarmerie turned up, dumped the car on the grass verge and climbed over the fence with my chair and survival bag and clambered up to the banking to be joined later by a handful of campers who had wandered up the banking from their campsite. No more than a handful of us there all day, the downside being no facilities whatsoever! but a plenty of food, water, an umbrella and a loo roll with me! Happy days!
Old 15 Nov 2023, 20:07 (Ref:4186053)   #403
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Just received an e mail from 1st tickets. The following is a quote:
Was that a direct reply to you, or a mail-all to their database? I'm waiting to hear from them about what they have (or don't have) for my rolled over booking from last year.
Old 15 Nov 2023, 20:09 (Ref:4186054)   #404
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Was that a direct reply to you, or a mail-all to their database? I'm waiting to hear from them about what they have (or don't have) for my rolled over booking from last year.
It was a general e mail. Although I did put in a request last year.
Old 15 Nov 2023, 21:34 (Ref:4186062)   #405
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Understood but the overall tone is somewhat pessimistic.
Indeed.... I'm maintaining a glass half full position at present for my friends.....
Old 15 Nov 2023, 21:38 (Ref:4186065)   #406
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Rich, I've not had a general email either. I have my friends' booking (I've been customer on their behalf for about 10-12 years now) and I know their booking from last year would have been fully fulfilled, however they asked to change GS and asked for camping for the first time, which made it awkward. As it happens, I got them some acceptable camping last week, however I'm still on tenterhooks about their GS change. To be honest though, I will feel hugely let down if it isn't fulfilled as I know 1st Tickets have some availability for that GS.
Old 16 Nov 2023, 12:37 (Ref:4186101)   #407
RL17
Racer

United Kingdom
Maidstone, Kent
RL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Just received an e mail from 1st tickets. The following is a quote:

"Our allocation for the most popular campsites was not increased (and in some cases reduced) by the circuit, but we have been allocated additional spaces on some of the campsites added last year, namely Hippodrome and Clos Fleuri plus spaces on the new campsite Prairie.

After fulfilling our existing customer renewals, we, currently, have no spaces available on the Tertre Rouge, Houx, Houx Annexe, Garage Vert or Epinettes campsites. Our stock levels for Hippodrome, Arnage and Mulsanne are extremely limited.

It is a similar position with grandstand availability. Currently we have no availability for T04 Panorama, T05 Goodyear, T17 ACO, T18 Durand and T19 Lagache. Our availability in all other grandstands is very limited"

I feel the ACO is making a mistake here. They can't be making more money from the members/public than they do from the agents. Are they trying to get rid of the agents?
Think the squeeze on grandstands is mainly to do with increased allocations to manufacturers and corporates as there were far fewer seats available on the T23 plan when had option to change seats on first hour of sale. So don’t think ACO/public sale has hit agents.

We’ve had our choices with campsite agent since start of September and given lack of posts about private sites etc compared to last year assume they’ve all filled up pretty early with mainly existing customers. Am very hopeful especially as they are now not letting us buy direct (well no discount)on our very expensive patch of grass - but 30m from track (where Vanwall parked up) so not too bad. Hopefully price rises won’t be too steep.

The euro 3,400 for a two person glamping tent from ACO somewhere well infield helps.
Old 16 Nov 2023, 13:17 (Ref:4186106)   #408
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
The grandstands are an interesting one. I went straight as always for T17 and was quite shocked to see how limited the options were. T17/T18 shouldn't be affected by corporate sales of course. I was in ticketing about 30 minutes after it opened (having been logged on for an hour). All of my original 5-6 options which I had carefully planned out had already gone. I did OK in the end and I'm perfectly content with what I got, but I'm still surprised that so many had gone by the time I got in. Last year was a lot easier.

I'm suspecting that most agencies will dispose of the vast majority of their tickets to existing returning customers.
Old 16 Nov 2023, 20:02 (Ref:4186140)   #409
RL17
Racer

United Kingdom
Maidstone, Kent
RL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
The grandstands are an interesting one. I went straight as always for T17 and was quite shocked to see how limited the options were. T17/T18 shouldn't be affected by corporate sales of course. I was in ticketing about 30 minutes after it opened (having been logged on for an hour). All of my original 5-6 options which I had carefully planned out had already gone. I did OK in the end and I'm perfectly content with what I got, but I'm still surprised that so many had gone by the time I got in. Last year was a lot easier.

I'm suspecting that most agencies will dispose of the vast majority of their tickets to existing returning customers.
Agree

Most of big agencies already have private camping plus loads of existing customers so the ACO will make them buy GE and GS to match those camping areas at least at full price as they all on sell at 15% or so mark up - they do have a lot of juggling to do for their money
Old 17 Nov 2023, 08:49 (Ref:4186187)   #410
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

There we go then. As expected.
Old 17 Nov 2023, 08:55 (Ref:4186188)   #411
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That didn't take long
Old 20 Nov 2023, 12:26 (Ref:4186586)   #412
MonteCristo
Rookie

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
MonteCristo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll be there for my first race. Ditching my wife for the weekend .

Might only be able to make one or two in my life, so hoping to make the most of it. If there are any folks who have some prior Le Mans experience and like to get their step counts up, I'd love to tag along.
Old 20 Nov 2023, 12:59 (Ref:4186594)   #413
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteCristo View Post
I'll be there for my first race. Ditching my wife for the weekend .

Might only be able to make one or two in my life, so hoping to make the most of it. If there are any folks who have some prior Le Mans experience and like to get their step counts up, I'd love to tag along.
Well come along to the meet on saturday and i am sure you will meet people to show you around, if you are camping i will do a where are people camping/stayimg tread closer to the time. that way you could meet up with some people earlier in the week.
Old 27 Nov 2023, 15:37 (Ref:4187560)   #414
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I will be attending for the first time next year, received tickets and camping for my 30th birthday - a massive surprise and I'm very excited.

Haven't posted on these forums for maybe ten years or so, but I'll check back in here for some advice and tips!

Camping at Beausejour, and have grandstand seats at the Esses. Any advice on what to expect, getting to the track, other things to do in the area (as I'll be with my partner for the week) would be appreciated!
Old 27 Nov 2023, 16:04 (Ref:4187565)   #415
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
So many things we could tell you Nicky..... There are literally hundreds of years of Le Mans experience here. Plenty of time though. The thing to do is to appreciate that you can't do/see everything on a first visit.
Old 27 Nov 2023, 16:09 (Ref:4187570)   #416
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Good stuff.

I'm expecting to camp at Porsche Curves next year. I was in BSJ this year and found it to be fine. The only issue was on the Sunday after the race when they shut the fan zone so no beer or food from 4pm. I had my own provisions so it wasn't a problem. I travelled home on the Monday.

Don't forget we have a pre race lunchtime gathering on the Saturday. I plan to arrive on the Wednesday morning but Ayse and others will be there all week.

BSJ, similar to Porsche Curves, is quite a way from the Esses so I'd plan on visiting Arnage and Indianapolis on the Wednesday or Thursday then on the Saturday pack a backpack (no glass) and head up to the grandstands for the race. Busses run from BSJ to Karting, then from Karting to Port Sud but they also stop around 4pm on the Sunday so I'd plan to be back at BSJ for the last hour and listen to Radio Le Mans.
Old 27 Nov 2023, 17:46 (Ref:4187586)   #417
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thank you! I knew this was where to find the experience.

With BSJ ticket, is it possible to stay on the Sunday night and leave the next day?
Old 27 Nov 2023, 18:02 (Ref:4187587)   #418
claude2cv
Racer

claude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyf1 View Post
Thank you! I knew this was where to find the experience.

With BSJ ticket, is it possible to stay on the Sunday night and leave the next day?
Yes, that is what I have always done

Sean
Old 27 Nov 2023, 21:57 (Ref:4187607)   #419
RL17
Racer

United Kingdom
Maidstone, Kent
It’s very close from BSJ to Karting entrance (peak times it can be a bit of queue in the enclosed walkway from BSJ roundabout). Sometimes quicker to walk to Porte CIK (next roundabout up). If go it that way you can walk up past main stands and village - bit of a walk but not too bad. If go in or out via Karting can sometimes get held up when support races go on or off track.

It’s still a fair walk from to Esses from Porte Est (if you get bus there - also tram into town from there).

Should stay in stand for finish (especially if you can see a screen) and wind down lap when marshalls wave flags etc

Can get on track after 4.15ish for presentations (outside of bend opposite pit exit) after that can walk down track towards Karting and exit there. Stuff in village open for hour or so after race finish.
Old 28 Nov 2023, 09:21 (Ref:4187633)   #420
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
That's good to know everyone, thank you!

At the moment we are contemplating taking the car and crossing from Portsmouth with Brittany Ferries. It's a long drive from Glasgow to the south coast on it's own, so I wonder what the experience would be like to fly to France and travel to Le Mans by train? Would you say this is doable, or does the benefit of having the car at the circuit outweigh the length of journey?

I've also heard that driving in France is much more pleasant than in the UK. I used to live in England so I'm well aware of the levels of traffic to be encountered around Preston, Manchester and Birmingham.

In comparison, how is the journey to Le Mans from, say, Caen or Calais?
Old 28 Nov 2023, 09:41 (Ref:4187636)   #421
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I have flown to Paris and hired a car, but only once. Living right on the south coast makes it easy for me.

I love driving in France. The roads are generally superior to the UK and are better and more quickly maintained and repaired. Bollard madness is rarely encountered. I'm not an experienced driver overseas at all, but even last year when we were given dire warnings of gridlock in and around the circuit, it was largely a breeze, although knowing the roads pretty well now helps. We drive from Caen and take the autoroute for the speed and efficiency. It's a very easy drive.
Old 28 Nov 2023, 10:18 (Ref:4187640)   #422
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
The drive down is also part of the fun, plenty of ferry/tunnel options, look at newhaven diepe as cabins on there are good for grabbing a few hours sleep. Options once on french soil ,old roads will take a little longer but much more enjoyable and stopping for food much better and cheaper. Autoroutes are usually longer but faster, cost is not bad if you want to get there quicker, but if you can use the old roads (often shorter thanks to romans habit of using straight lines from a to b) you will see real france.
Old 28 Nov 2023, 10:40 (Ref:4187642)   #423
clkgtrlm1
Rookie

England
Woodstock, Oxford, England
clkgtrlm1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyf1 View Post
That's good to know everyone, thank you!

At the moment we are contemplating taking the car and crossing from Portsmouth with Brittany Ferries. It's a long drive from Glasgow to the south coast on it's own, so I wonder what the experience would be like to fly to France and travel to Le Mans by train? Would you say this is doable, or does the benefit of having the car at the circuit outweigh the length of journey?

I've also heard that driving in France is much more pleasant than in the UK. I used to live in England so I'm well aware of the levels of traffic to be encountered around Preston, Manchester and Birmingham.

In comparison, how is the journey to Le Mans from, say, Caen or Calais?
We had a "neighbour" on BSJ this year and he flew from Dublin to Nantes.
Hired a motorhome from Indie Campers in Nantes (for about the same cost as hiring a car!).
This setup seemed to work well........
Old 28 Nov 2023, 13:25 (Ref:4187654)   #424
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Going back to walking distances RL17 is correct. The walk is not too long, but when lugging bags and accompanied by your partner, the busses are much more convenient.

I've done Calais to Le Mans and Caen to Le Mans. I'm going back to the chunnel this year since the return time from Caen is too late for the 90 mile journey home. That said driving to Scotland probably means you'd overnight in Portsmouth anyway.

Lots to think about, exciting isn't it?
Old 28 Nov 2023, 13:39 (Ref:4187656)   #425
RL17
Racer

United Kingdom
Maidstone, Kent
Calais - Le Mans at least 4 and a half hours - can be a bit of a slog if only one person driving. Much better than driving in UK but do generally enjoy and great seeing what cars are on road but LM trips are not as good as LM Classic (and they are not as good as 10 years or so ago). Some good roads away from autoroute south of Rouen. Can be delays waiting for tunnel on Monday pm/early evening.

Have done Caen route once and doing again next year for a change. Overnight ferry is expensive with cabins etc (gets booked up early) and a two hour or so run down to LM.

If you have to use a hotel overnight to break journey then it’s a possible saving.

If going for a Wednesday to Monday stay (or longer) then car their opens up other stuff easily including car show at St Saturnin or a trip to Hotel de France (great scenery there too) or a stop at Normandy beaches/Pegasus beach etc or an extra day or two south of Le Mans.

If planning on a shorter trip then car not really an advantage unless staying offsite and not near tram routes.

Which car also a factor.

UK bit of drive is a bigger slog and much more unpredictable than great French system. Getting to Dover/Folkestone a pain compared to Portsmouth if coming down M6.