Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 1 Oct 2023, 13:40 (Ref:4179130)   #1201
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
In the US you have to give a reason why a loan is refused.

I believe in the UK that they have to, at least, tell you the credit agency they used so that you can get a credit report and see if there is something wrong. It might be worth doing that to see if there is a problem. Mistakes and fraud can happen.

Mortgage lenders want to lend you money. Especially at the moment as new business is poor at the moment. They only don’t do it if they see a problem. Although current conditions might mean they are more stringent that previously reflecting the impact of cost of living on all aspects of people’s outgoings. That problem could also be on the asset side.

As a relatively new house does it still have the certificates for all the good stuff in it. Could have ten year warranties for that kind of thing? Although if the previous owner can’t supply I suppose that’s a problem.
Old 2 Oct 2023, 15:34 (Ref:4179263)   #1202
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
In the US you have to give a reason why a loan is refused.

I believe in the UK that they have to, at least, tell you the credit agency they used so that you can get a credit report and see if there is something wrong. It might be worth doing that to see if there is a problem. Mistakes and fraud can happen.

Mortgage lenders want to lend you money. Especially at the moment as new business is poor at the moment. They only don’t do it if they see a problem. Although current conditions might mean they are more stringent that previously reflecting the impact of cost of living on all aspects of people’s outgoings. That problem could also be on the asset side.

As a relatively new house does it still have the certificates for all the good stuff in it. Could have ten year warranties for that kind of thing? Although if the previous owner can’t supply I suppose that’s a problem.
Yep, the house is good for warranties. Better still, the guy that runs the business that provided all of the solar, battery and heatpump facilities as part of the original build lives in the house next door.

The first excuse for refusal (from their current mortgage supplier) was something to do with not feeling the property could be guaranteed as certain security because there is a separate garage building with a fully fitted room available that had the potential to be sub-let.

On that basis, one might wonder how many other properties might have rooms that, in an economic crisis, owners might wish to rent out on a shared facilities basis. What then would the market look like?

No one, even with the lender's mortgage assessment and completion staffers, understood that decision but, having made the decision, the lender refused to re-consider or offer an extended response. Just "No".

At least the surveyor appointed by the new potential lender had the honesty to admit he could not feel comfortable signing off on something he did not know anything about. However, it makes one wonder why they appointed him in the first place.

The additional delay and time wasted while that is sorted out is extremely frustrating for them, the people they are buying from and the people they are selling to. Especially when they had already arranged a facility, in principle, with the previous and pre-existing lender.

There seem to be a lot of things affected by "new regulations" in recent years, some valid but many probably on the basis of over-caution in interpretation of the list of boxes that need to be ticked for Conformance to poorly written and badly understood rules and regulations.

I don't mind regulations, but if one sees a developing pattern of poorer and poorer instructions for ever more intricate regulation, then one has to wonder if the desired result is anywhere near to being achieved. Or even can be achieved.
Old 2 Oct 2023, 16:42 (Ref:4179271)   #1203
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Grant, I can certainly understand the frustration involved with your tale because I recall my staff having similar problems arranging mortgages for clients on rare occasions 20 odd years ago. In fact my son also came up against something similar when he tried to remortgage his house a few years ago; unfortunately, I had retired by then, so couldn't help directly.

However, at least a proper "surveyor" turned up in your case. Far too often in the past, the "surveyors" appointed by the lenders were really just estate agents and their "survey" often amounted to a mere drive past the potential property sometimes not even stopping to examine the outside. Their valuation would be based on the selling prices of similar properties in the area.

The major reason that I sold up the business was because I felt that financial services and mortgage business was going to hell in a hand-cart, which was just 5 years before it did in 2008. The way things were going it was just inevitable; for example, lenders not requiring any proof of income, just relying on borrowers stating that they could afford the repayments. No wonder that Northern Rock, providing mortgages of 125% of the theoretical value of houses, went bust; others were nearly as bad.

I don't understand the hang-up about the room in the garage, though. If my memory is correct, the Inland Revenue actually permits home-owners to rent out one room without including that revenue in their income. I recall that that was driven by parliament.
Old 2 Oct 2023, 19:18 (Ref:4179301)   #1204
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Grant, I can certainly understand the frustration involved with your tale because I recall my staff having similar problems arranging mortgages for clients on rare occasions 20 odd years ago. In fact my son also came up against something similar when he tried to remortgage his house a few years ago; unfortunately, I had retired by then, so couldn't help directly.

However, at least a proper "surveyor" turned up in your case. Far too often in the past, the "surveyors" appointed by the lenders were really just estate agents and their "survey" often amounted to a mere drive past the potential property sometimes not even stopping to examine the outside. Their valuation would be based on the selling prices of similar properties in the area.

The major reason that I sold up the business was because I felt that financial services and mortgage business was going to hell in a hand-cart, which was just 5 years before it did in 2008. The way things were going it was just inevitable; for example, lenders not requiring any proof of income, just relying on borrowers stating that they could afford the repayments. No wonder that Northern Rock, providing mortgages of 125% of the theoretical value of houses, went bust; others were nearly as bad.

I don't understand the hang-up about the room in the garage, though. If my memory is correct, the Inland Revenue actually permits home-owners to rent out one room without including that revenue in their income. I recall that that was driven by parliament.
Thanks for the input Mike.

I agree totally.

The room on the end of the triple garage is a bit of an odd thing.

There are other aspects to the overall property that could, on that basis, prove more risky for subletting purposes in terms of security. They were not mentioned, so far as I am aware.

The suspicion is that someone senior made a marginal (or worse) decision out of nowhere and is senior enough that they are protected from being called out and having the decision reversed.

Delays are annoying. Maybe worse is that the net costs may increase significantly, at least in the short term.

So little seems to be base on logical analysis from any angle these days.

Govt. apparently scrapping HS 2 North, for example.

I have never been a fan of HS2 but it it had any purpose, linking the North rather than Birmingham seemed more rational and deliverable in terms of journey time gain.

Scotland even more so.

What may now result, for the next generations, makes ever less sense even if people are still permitted to travel anywhere by the time whatever it turns out to be is "functional".
Old 8 Oct 2023, 12:41 (Ref:4180445)   #1205
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Live Stream for the Estoril Classics if anyone is interested.

Follow the action live from the Autódromo do Estoril:
12:15 - 13:15 (60’) - Classic Endurance Racing 2
13:30 - 14:10 (40’) - The Greatest’s Trophy
14:25 - 14:45 (20’) - Classic GP - Pre-1986 F1
15:00 - 16:00 (60’) - Heritage Touring Cup
16:15 - 17:15 (60’) - Classic Endurance Racing 1
17:30 - 18:20 (50’) - Iberian Historic Endurance

https://youtu.be/GmetIdSVIN0

Estoril Classics website: https://en.estorilclassics.pt/

Live Timing: https://livetiming.alkamelsystems.com/peterautoracing
Old 8 Oct 2023, 13:39 (Ref:4180455)   #1206
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C is going for a new lap record!Gerard C is going for a new lap record!Gerard C is going for a new lap record!Gerard C is going for a new lap record!Gerard C is going for a new lap record!Gerard C is going for a new lap record!
Thanks for the input, Chris. I think 356 will appreciate the endless list of penalties given during the Sixties race and the two laps given to a Shelby Cobra… I love this track.
Old 8 Oct 2023, 23:36 (Ref:4180568)   #1207
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Update on the mortgage discussion above.

In response to an official complaint, the lender concerned seems to have had a change of position and is now back in the frame. That is good news since the overall deal should be much better as a continuation and extension of their existing arrangement and would avoid various charges for early settlement, new provider costs, etc.

It may just be possible that there are still pockets of logical thought to be discovered in the modern world.

Writing that has just reminded me that my annual discussion with my car insurance provider is due tomorrow or Tuesday. They seem to want an extra 25% this year, just like last year ...
Old 9 Oct 2023, 07:47 (Ref:4180618)   #1208
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Talking of Estoril, I don't think that I would stand and look at leaking petrol !!
https://www.facebook.com/718323137/v...6725387775602/
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 9 Oct 2023, 11:26 (Ref:4180658)   #1209
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C is going for a new lap record!Gerard C is going for a new lap record!Gerard C is going for a new lap record!Gerard C is going for a new lap record!Gerard C is going for a new lap record!Gerard C is going for a new lap record!
YT link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh5eMqQBkAo
Old 9 Oct 2023, 14:24 (Ref:4180701)   #1210
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Oh dear thats a shame. Is the Capri a Zakspeed? The Liqui Moly car I recall from period was a Zakspeed driven by Mafred Winklehock and looked similar.

Hopefully the cars were not too badly damaged. As Gordon mentioned, im not sure I would be standing around watching the fuel spilling.
Old 9 Oct 2023, 14:51 (Ref:4180709)   #1211
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Oh dear thats a shame. Is the Capri a Zakspeed? The Liqui Moly car I recall from period was a Zakspeed driven by Mafred Winklehock and looked similar.

Hopefully the cars were not too badly damaged. As Gordon mentioned, im not sure I would be standing around watching the fuel spilling.
The green & white Nigrin-sponsored Capri was driven by Manfred Winkelhock in the 1981 DRM series.

I think I am right in saying all the Capri's of that type were built by Zakspeed. They appeared in various liveries, often driven by Winkelhock or Klaus Ludwig, but my favourite was the original Mampe car raced by Hans Heyer.
Old 9 Oct 2023, 14:59 (Ref:4180710)   #1212
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Looks like a Grp2 RS 3100 to me. If I'm right, in this case it could well be a Ric Wood built. Stand to be corrected.
Old 9 Oct 2023, 16:18 (Ref:4180725)   #1213
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Looks like a Grp2 RS 3100 to me. If I'm right, in this case it could well be a Ric Wood built. Stand to be corrected.
I didn't look at the picture, just deduced from EB's description. Hadn't thought it might be a fake!

The real Zakspeed cars were incredible - I can remember seeing them racing.

Last edited by John Elwin; 9 Oct 2023 at 16:18. Reason: Spelling correction
Old 9 Oct 2023, 16:45 (Ref:4180732)   #1214
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Ric Wood has re created one (the Wurth car I think) but that in the video is a Grp 2 RS3100.
Old 9 Oct 2023, 20:58 (Ref:4180754)   #1215
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I think it's the car Ric W built ran a few years ago in MRL. Assuming he sold to the guy in question?
Old 10 Oct 2023, 18:38 (Ref:4180896)   #1216
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
The last Capri he built for himself, not for customers, was this one: https://www.gipimotor.com/racing/sal...-gr2-1973.html I've been lucky enough to visit his premices and follow some stages of the process. His personal cars are always RHD (sometimes with power assist steering). But as you say, the Nigrin?
Old 12 Oct 2023, 06:55 (Ref:4181063)   #1217
Duddha
Racer

United Nations
Geneva, Switzerland
Duddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
The last Capri he built for himself, not for customers, was this one: https://www.gipimotor.com/racing/sal...-gr2-1973.html I've been lucky enough to visit his premices and follow some stages of the process. His personal cars are always RHD (sometimes with power assist steering). But as you say, the Nigrin?
The Nigrin Group 2 car is a Ric Wood build, like most of the new builds car and even so, most parts are only available through him. Raceworks has built cars as well, and another gentleman himself. But as said, I believe the one source is always Ric for these cars.
Old 12 Oct 2023, 18:53 (Ref:4181157)   #1218
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Talking about Estoril Classics: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIJGrlz9zyg
John, do you still work for double-declutch?
Old 13 Oct 2023, 06:52 (Ref:4181222)   #1219
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
356sc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Talking about Estoril Classics: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIJGrlz9zyg
John, do you still work for double-declutch?
60s endurance 1965 356sc #49
Mag 7's #60
Old 13 Oct 2023, 07:23 (Ref:4181226)   #1220
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by 356sc View Post
Technically yes, but not done anything for a long time.

Why do you ask?
Old 13 Oct 2023, 08:48 (Ref:4181232)   #1221
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
No worry, John, it was in relation to the video I posted. Will got the picture. I admit a poor racer joke here.
Old 13 Oct 2023, 09:18 (Ref:4181236)   #1222
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I see in the upper echelons of TenTenths (the eff one bit) that Reading FC is rumoured to be for sale. Will Iain put in a counter bid?
Old 13 Oct 2023, 21:25 (Ref:4181362)   #1223
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Since reading the Times this morning, I've been deeply concerned......

Should we organise a whip-round to help Bernie Eccleston pay the £653 Million fine he's been given? Apparently he'll only be left with a mere £1.8 Billion. How will he manage?

Or, more realistically - what wierd mindset do you need to hav eto need to dodge £300+ million in tax when you are already worth 7 times that amount.....and what chuzpah do you need to argue, as Bernie's lawyers did, that at his age and in his medical condition, he apparently only has a 30% chance of outliving a trial, as a reason not to continue with the trial? The judge was apparently unmoved by this argument....hence the plea-bargain, the fine and the 17-month suspended sentence.

Reportedly when asked for a comment Bernie replied " Bloody lawyers!"
Old 14 Oct 2023, 07:41 (Ref:4181386)   #1224
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Oi Richard! That's a bit mean-spirited of you! Bernie is a good man - I've met him a few times & he even tried to create a job for me once.

I'm sure the money is better in his hands than HMRC's. They'll only pee it up against the wall cosseting future terrorists in expensive hotels.
Old 14 Oct 2023, 20:12 (Ref:4181539)   #1225
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
I see in the upper echelons of TenTenths (the eff one bit) that Reading FC is rumoured to be for sale. Will Iain put in a counter bid?
We did go Tuesday and they won. Most odd . None of us know what’s going on at the club. Very frustrating
Closed Thread