Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 1 Jun 2004, 07:06 (Ref:989901)   #1
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The hidden power of emotions.

Hmmm...this is a rather OFF topic..nothing serious but just some food for thoughts.

I'm not trying to be offensive, but trying to take some time off the more serious discussion into something less "conflicting".

Umberto Agnelli passed away last week - Ferrari won a 1-2 and dedicated it to the man himself.

G. Agnelli passed away last year - Ferrari named the car after him and won the doubles last year.

G. Berger's father passed away - And G.Berger won the race that followed- in Hockenheim - and dedicated in memory of his father. The only race the post MS-Benetton win in 96/97.

Michael's mum passed away - MS dominated the following race at Imola and dedicated it to his mother.

I'm sure there are more, feel free to add.

Coincidence?

Or does the emotion of sadness give the driver an increase determination to put up a greater fight (ie G.Berger)? G.Berger said that he felt an extra strength to push him to race harder in Hockenheim and he said it's from his father.

Does sad emotions bring out the best of a driver?

Is there anymore similar situations in the past?
Old 1 Jun 2004, 08:29 (Ref:989976)   #2
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nah,nothing to it at all

The only odd one out is gohard burglar-the ferrais were going to win anyway..........
And even gerhards win wasn't all that odd as the benettons allways went well at hockenhiem
Old 1 Jun 2004, 08:32 (Ref:989980)   #3
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well..Ralf didn't exactly did poorly at Imola post-his-mom's-passing either..
Old 1 Jun 2004, 08:53 (Ref:989998)   #4
hamsmith
Racer

hamsmith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think it just brings out the best in drivers, I think it brings out the best in us all. I could give a few examples but they are not motorsport related.

Last edited by hamsmith; 1 Jun 2004 at 09:00.
Old 1 Jun 2004, 09:38 (Ref:990040)   #5
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it brings out the best in drivers. Definitely, they are more motivated than usual to dedicate a win to a loved one.
Old 1 Jun 2004, 10:27 (Ref:990088)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The motivaion can do wonders, no doubt.

When you consider all the races and the last few years Ferrari have done well without any of these factors. They win anyway!
Old 1 Jun 2004, 10:41 (Ref:990104)   #7
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mansell famously claimed to get a lap time boost at Silverstone from the fans and who are we to disagree? The results are there, etched into the history books.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 1 Jun 2004, 10:43 (Ref:990108)   #8
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If you get a lap time boost from your home fans at Silverstone, the team boss should be asking you to raise your game at every other circuit!
Old 1 Jun 2004, 14:50 (Ref:990435)   #9
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well the case of Ferrari is too helpful: with such a monster car it's easy to confirm your hypothesis; actually no hyper-motivation is required to MS.
Old 1 Jun 2004, 16:12 (Ref:990498)   #10
Gt_R
Veteran

Ok...but Ralf did pretty well to in Imola after his mom's passing, though he didn't win..his performance was pretty good IIRC.

Anyway, is there anymore such "coincidence" that doesn't involve modern Ferrari?
Old 2 Jun 2004, 09:48 (Ref:991251)   #11
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by DriverT
I think it brings out the best in drivers. Definitely, they are more motivated than usual to dedicate a win to a loved one.
I agree. Still motorsport related, but 2 wheels, not 4. In 1999, a little girl drowned in Carl Fogerty's swimming pool, the girls father asked Carl to win the first race for the girl, he did, in dominant fashion then Carl, Michaela and some of the Ducati staff broke down in tears as the winning flag came out.

I believe that emotions like these push everyone to try harder.
Old 2 Jun 2004, 10:02 (Ref:991264)   #12
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I remember that.

Also, unless I'm mistaken Nige, upon winning his first GP, dedicated it to his recently departed mother. I also recal he was not on speaking terms with his father at the time.
Old 2 Jun 2004, 22:40 (Ref:992076)   #13
freud
Veteran

freud has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I am sorry to say that I completely disagree with the thread. First of all we are not discussing formula one here... may be the moderators ought to create a 'psychology' forum to discuss the on-track and in-car behaviour of drivers.

Last but not the least, Imho, emotions can be counter-productive to driver in a big way... just ask JPM who, imho, made a bad decision and then destroyed his season by overdriving at indianapolis .

What I most admire about MS (and also Mika, while he was driving) is their ability to remain so cool and calm inside the cockpit. I have rarely seen both of them emotional and I think that proves why both of them won at least 2 f1 titles.
Old 2 Jun 2004, 22:50 (Ref:992082)   #14
Dan Fielden
Veteran

Isle of Man
Isle Of Man
Dan Fielden has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I race in the Manx Karting Championship and the night before a race my Grandad died and we all knew it was coming so we went to see him at the Hospital and his last words to me were " Daniel, good luck for tomorrow do it for me and more importantly yourself". As i was on the grid waiting to go out i had serious goosebumps which were not from nerves i won my first ever race on that day at the age of 13 and as all the above i dedicated it to my Grandfather.
Just thoght i'd give you a personall experience
Old 3 Jun 2004, 01:03 (Ref:992149)   #15
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by freud
I am sorry to say that I completely disagree with the thread.
However, after a pointless dig, you go on to make a very good point in line with thread topic. Its a shame you don't really agree with discussing it. Although with your name I'd have thought that you'd be up for a 'psychology' thread.

Sometimes emotions can be counter productive as freud says.

However they can give people reason to try that little harder. Or maybe just distract them from negative aspects of the race.

Can be good, can be bad.
Old 3 Jun 2004, 01:32 (Ref:992163)   #16
freud
Veteran

freud has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
AA - point is that excessive emotions can spurt you on for one special win.. or a single moment of greatness (e.g. JPM or JV overtaking MS from outside, or MS winning a GP after his mother's unfortunate death)

However, if emotions are getting to a driver on a 'consistent' basis and that he is sad for no reason whatsever.. Imho nothing can be more dangerous. It's said that F1 drivers have nerves of steel and their emotional strength is exemplary. Such look at Michael... he is a role-model for younger drivers in that he NEVER lets the emotions get better of him except maybe a few moments of madness per season . Michael is emotionally very strong and his mental, physical and emotional strength is a major reason for his success in f1.

Remember in the post-race Imola, a certain Juan Pablo whining about what MS did to him while he calmly sat and listened. He made JPM look like %$#@. I hope JPM can learn somethng from the master. No wonder in italy they call him the 'Iron man'.. cold blooded warrior.
Old 3 Jun 2004, 10:30 (Ref:992487)   #17
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
er, yeah I reckon that! :confused: Still worth repeating for the last paragraph.

Michael is like one thing, JPM another. Senna, Prost, Hill, Villeneuve, et al another again.