Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 21 May 2003, 22:39 (Ref:606361)   #1
jpchenet
Rookie

jpchenet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Warning

This was posted by Stig, the moderator over on the Le Mans section of the Piston Heads Forum:

From one of the Ultima Car Club members who lives in France:

"Be careful guys, the word is that the Police are going to be very tough this year. Not only have they halved the alcohol limit, but after Jaques Chirac told the French Public that they were terrible drivers and should take lessons from the Brits, Les "flics" are out to get us! I have been stopped several times in my Caterham (may have had something to do with me banging down the gears as I entered the village where they were lurking!!)"

One of the other members also wrote:

"When I was in France last week, the local Police to the small town where I was staying, were trying out their new Lazer speedguns on the bikers."

Another wrote that he and his friends were stopped last year on Saturday night in their Mitsubishi L200 with 5 in the cab and 8 in the back. This landed them a £480 on the spot fine.

I always thought the Gendarmes were quite lenient towards us Brits. Maybe not!!
Old 21 May 2003, 23:01 (Ref:606386)   #2
FG1
Veteran

FG1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The French Police and Gendarmes are certainly getting more and more active. The old bat was breathalized a while ago, and radar controls are now frequent.

If you see a car coming in the opposite direction flashing his headlights, this almost always means "Cops ahead".

Be careful.

FG
Old 21 May 2003, 23:05 (Ref:606388)   #3
Kpy
Veteran

Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!
I was planning on starting a tread on this theme tonight. JPC beat me to it.
There is a very definite crackdown on speeding, crossing white lines and drink driving. There are several new toys at the gendarmes disposal to catch you speeding, most of them virtually undetectable. Spot checks for alcohol are becoming more common and Brits are no longer just waved on through.
Fines are rumoured to have been hiked by a factor of five.
I have an idea that they will be waiting for us Brits on the new A28 and the N138.
Have fun, all of you, but keep your eyes open and take it easy. A few kph over the limit on the open road will probably be ignored, but don't forget that the limit on two way roads is about 56 mph.
Old 21 May 2003, 23:33 (Ref:606408)   #4
jpchenet
Rookie

Do I sense a case of Deja Vu!!
Old 21 May 2003, 23:40 (Ref:606412)   #5
Kpy
Veteran

Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by jpchenet
Do I sense a case of Deja Vu!!
Dunno. But I seem to have been here before!
Old 21 May 2003, 23:51 (Ref:606422)   #6
jpchenet
Rookie

You and me too!!! That's strange!! It's almost like.........
Old 22 May 2003, 07:07 (Ref:606510)   #7
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I've certainly heard similar every year for the pasy 4-5 years, but I note who is saying it - and guys, these people should know!

Be careful out there...... (as they say!).
Old 22 May 2003, 07:27 (Ref:606521)   #8
Kpy
Veteran

French speakers amonst you may find this site interesting - NOT guaranteed exhaustive!!

http://205.gti.club.pts.free.fr/rada...s_fiche_01.htm
Old 22 May 2003, 07:34 (Ref:606525)   #9
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
I am glad I am taking my Austin Healey this year then so I wont be tempted. Last year I hit 170mph on the Autoroute between Alencon and Lemans!
Old 22 May 2003, 08:03 (Ref:606540)   #10
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Mal
I am glad I am taking my Austin Healey this year then so I wont be tempted. Last year I hit 170mph on the Autoroute between Alencon and Lemans!
That is just plain stupid, we would not tolarate a French driver doing that sort of speed on a british road, In fact a BMW driver has just been banged up in scotland for just that sort of speed.
Old 22 May 2003, 08:07 (Ref:606543)   #11
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
be careful of the solid white lines on the way home towards brionne...i will now!
Old 22 May 2003, 08:44 (Ref:606570)   #12
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Nordic
That is just plain stupid, we would not tolarate a French driver doing that sort of speed on a british road, In fact a BMW driver has just been banged up in scotland for just that sort of speed.

None of that sentence makes any sence, help me out here.

Mal is French?
And Le Mans is in Britain?

Scotland?:confused:

Oops, misread the quote, nevermind...

Last edited by pirenzo; 22 May 2003 at 08:46.
Old 22 May 2003, 08:52 (Ref:606578)   #13
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry you had a problem Pirenzo, I used a simple comparison I will try to simplifly it futher for you, Mal is doing something in france that he feels is acceptable (170MPH), most people would consider that to be stupid on a public road, Does he also do that sort of speed on a british road?, and if he did, he could expect to be banged up, as the guy in scotland was.
Old 22 May 2003, 09:13 (Ref:606594)   #14
Kpy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Nordic
Sorry you had a problem Pirenzo, I used a simple comparison I will try to simplifly it futher for you, Mal is doing something in france that he feels is acceptable (170MPH), most people would consider that to be stupid on a public road, Does he also do that sort of speed on a british road?, and if he did, he could expect to be banged up, as the guy in scotland was.
He'd get locked up here too, Brit or not.

The one thing French people really hate about Brits coming to LM is that some Brits behave as though this is a playground where no rules apply. The French police haven't helped any one with a laissez faire attitude. Be warned - with the current French government, things have changed.
Nuff said.
Old 22 May 2003, 12:06 (Ref:606732)   #15
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm sorry, but I have to agree with Nordic, Mal. 170 mph is just plain stupid. I happen to work somewhere that gives me experience from time to time of the outcome of reckless escapades on the roads (and people getting banged up for their total lack of common sense). I don't think any of us should be seen to endorse behaviour such as that.

Sorry if it offends, but Nordic is quite right.
Old 23 May 2003, 06:12 (Ref:607439)   #16
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
You are all quite right of course, but when you have a fast car you like to try it out just once. At the time the road was empty and the moment we came upon another vehicle we slowed down. Not meant as an excuse just a fact. This year I will be with a bunch of classic cars as I have been for most of 15 or times I have visited LeMans
Old 23 May 2003, 06:24 (Ref:607444)   #17
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Far more dangerous and wreckless IMO is the way people risk all overtaking trains of cars and lorries on the busy N138 from Rouen down towards Sees and Alencon. I have seen some crazy moves over the years on that route.
Old 23 May 2003, 06:33 (Ref:607449)   #18
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Perhaps 'Mad Friday' will be a thing of the past.

Good.
Old 23 May 2003, 06:44 (Ref:607458)   #19
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
But why?

Why do we feel the need to do it?

Is there some inherent inadequacy in the Brit psyche which makes us behave like morons when in another country?

There must be some explanation.

Beer, I guess.
Old 23 May 2003, 06:49 (Ref:607461)   #20
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Its not just the British psyche it is the fact that the Gendarmes have always tolerated it, and sometimes enjoyed it and even joined in.

Beer has a lot to do with it of course as well
Old 23 May 2003, 06:59 (Ref:607463)   #21
Kpy
Veteran

It's not just beer - that might explain the Mad Friday antics, which I suspect this year may result in some people not watching the race, but spending at least 24 hours in less salubrious surroundings. But the mad driving on the way down and back is as though France were some playground where people feel they can "try out" their fast cars with impunity, or try and emulate the racing cars. If you want to do that, do it in your own country. And, yes Mal, I include you. There are plenty of track days, where you can try your car out legally.
Nuff said.
Old 23 May 2003, 10:26 (Ref:607603)   #22
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Right, I have accepted your points now please dont keep on. I am not one of those who drives madly through France or has disrespect for it. I enjoy going to LeMans for the racing, the wine and the culture, I enjoy the roads, but with the exception of the occasion discussed above I do not drive any differently to the way I do in the UK.
Please dont come the high and mighty with me again. I have seen plenty of French people including gendarmes cheering everyone on on Mad Friday and joining in with their fast cars around the circuit and on the drive down,
As you have now said twice.
Nuff said
Old 23 May 2003, 10:42 (Ref:607621)   #23
lowieracing
Racer

lowieracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i can see your ponit of view Mal yet i think that the drive down to le mans is part of the whole aura of the race weekend and without all of the crazy over-taking manouvres and the fast cars that are seen on the drive down it would just not be the same...yet i can also see the point that 170 mph is rather extreme to say the least yet at one stage last year i think our trusty lambo diablo also reached this speed yet i think now that this issue has been addressed we shud all take care on the road to le mans...and watch out for those Gendarmes...
Old 23 May 2003, 12:55 (Ref:607795)   #24
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Some of the most crazy overtaking moves I've seen on the N138 have been by French cars.

On my trip to the Classic last year, I was on the new section of Autoroute from Alencon into Le Mans, around midnight, at a gentle 95mph cruise. I could see a pair of lights closing on me from behind, assuming it would be another Brit 'making progress' but it was a Gendarmarie Clio (4-up!).

Safe driving everyone.
Old 23 May 2003, 13:45 (Ref:607849)   #25
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
OK people, I think we've all (including me) given Mal quite enough of a dressing-down over his admission......

So perhaps we should now reserve space on this thread for after the Le Mans weekend for everyone to post details of the amounts of their on-the-spot-fines......

And yes, it most certainly does happen - it cost one of our three drivers about £70 back in 2000. He was told, another 5 kph and it would have been £500.

As everyone has said before, you've all been warned....