Old 15 Apr 2007, 22:05 (Ref:1892567)   #1
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Newbury Park, CA, United States
Muzza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
NBC picture "quality"

Folks,

Here in the Greater Boston the quality of the image broadcast by NBC was horrendous. Grainy, bizarre contrast, poor definition, fading colours. It looked like I was watching a race taped in a VHS originally used to record old bootlegged Ginger Lynn videos back in 1984. What the hell. Anybody had the same problem in other cities?

P.S.: I called a friend who lives in South Boston (another cable provider) and he wasn't happy either.
Old 15 Apr 2007, 22:24 (Ref:1892586)   #2
norman-normal
Veteran

norman-normal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bad weather must be the cause. I had it on both sat and ant and they were about equal.
Muzza, I have some advise for you: move back to So Cal.
Old 15 Apr 2007, 22:25 (Ref:1892587)   #3
baclightning
Racer

United States
Kirkland, WA, USA
baclightning should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I watched the race in Seattle on the NBC affiliate, and didn't notice any problem with the picture. Perhaps it was a local problem in the Boston area?
Old 15 Apr 2007, 22:36 (Ref:1892596)   #4
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Newbury Park, CA, United States
Muzza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, guys, the weather in Boston is pretty bad this weekend. However, the strange thing is that the image quality was bad only during the race transmission - the commercial breaks were fine!

Norman, I'm moving back to SoCal in June - can't wait for that, even though I like Boston much more than LA.
Old 15 Apr 2007, 22:52 (Ref:1892605)   #5
norman-normal
Veteran

Yup, only the race is live.

LA is crowded and smoggy but Oceanside is great, Ive lived in the same place for 15 yrs and never seen frost.
Old 15 Apr 2007, 22:52 (Ref:1892606)   #6
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I thought the picture was fine except for a few audio cutouts here and there. Could be because of the storm.
Old 15 Apr 2007, 23:38 (Ref:1892623)   #7
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
Audio cutout outs here too (Washington, US feed) but picture was OK, other than lack of passing
Old 16 Apr 2007, 00:44 (Ref:1892641)   #8
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I didn't notice any issues. In Canada Bell ExpressVu satellite shows the Boston NBC station feed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by norman-normal
Ive lived in the same place for 15 yrs and never seen frost.
Oh yeah? Yesterday here the "high" was the same temperature here as it was in Iqaluit on Baffin Island in the arctic. In case you're wondering, here's what the "capital" of Nunavit looks like:
Old 16 Apr 2007, 15:14 (Ref:1893072)   #9
mp356a
Veteran

United States
SE PA USA
mp356a should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Audio cutouts only here in SE PA as well.
Old 16 Apr 2007, 15:24 (Ref:1893085)   #10
norman-normal
Veteran

Gee thanks, I've often heard about the beauty and tranquility of the Capital of Nunavit?...........Think maybe we could have a street race there?.......... what time of year are the polar bears gone?
Old 16 Apr 2007, 16:31 (Ref:1893139)   #11
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think the habitat may be too inhospitable to support polar bears. The joke's on them, today we have a full 6 degrees C advantage over Iqaluit! In case you're wonder, Nunavut is a territory of Canada.

I think it was in the mid-90s that Molson brought a couple bands (Metalica and Hole come to mind) into Resolute or some other tiny arctic community, so perhaps the arctic grand prix presented by bombardier is possible. I think the biggest problem would be the track surface, I don't think they pave the roads up there. Heidfeld did a demonstration on a frozen Swiss lake during the winter, so perhaps CC's could be fitted with similar snow tires. It would be a good plug for Bridgestone and they could run the race in October when Bridgestone promotes their snow tires.

I imagine the cosworth engines would make an extra 100hp from the cold/dense air.
Old 16 Apr 2007, 16:37 (Ref:1893146)   #12
norman-normal
Veteran

The P Bears are smarter than I thought
Old 17 Apr 2007, 11:34 (Ref:1893756)   #13
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Had a number of audio cutouts in Indy.....
Old 17 Apr 2007, 16:06 (Ref:1893930)   #14
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Since it was network, finals came out late yesterday....... a 0.6/1 share.
Old 17 Apr 2007, 16:15 (Ref:1893945)   #15
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
^ Ouch.

Sigh. I think the truth is that TV is a building process. You can't just have a singular random timeslot and expect magic. Hopefully the consistency on ABC/ESPN will be the ticket.
Old 17 Apr 2007, 16:46 (Ref:1893972)   #16
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
I've read on another forum on how great people think the coverage was. Personally, I though both races were quite poor. The commentary team (I'm not from NA, so these are relatively new faces for me) are dreadful and sterile with the exception of Jan Beekus(spl?) who holds the whole thing together. Commentators shouldn't be learning drivers names, live on air.

Also, the graphics on in-car shots cover most of the view (although better than Vegas)

Add that to the Bourdais white-wash and while it may have been interesting (but not classic) race for die-hards, I can't see how a casual observer will have been entertained....and its those that CCWS have to add