Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 30 Jan 2007, 19:45 (Ref:1829634)   #26
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sons of famous fathers just get breaks that ordinary mortals can only pay for, they are not up to pace from what I have seen. Fortec is a good team if they are up to it but I suspect they did not start soon enough and so have not got the makings and will always have to use the Mansell name and money. Damon proved that you can do it but it really does take devotion because eventually you get to the point where results are all that counts. In my book Nigel is one of the best and would still beat the boys if he tried, a real racer
Old 30 Jan 2007, 21:21 (Ref:1829705)   #27
Kieran20
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Kieran20 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by old man
Sons of famous fathers just get breaks that ordinary mortals can only pay for, they are not up to pace from what I have seen. Fortec is a good team if they are up to it but I suspect they did not start soon enough and so have not got the makings and will always have to use the Mansell name and money. Damon proved that you can do it but it really does take devotion because eventually you get to the point where results are all that counts. In my book Nigel is one of the best and would still beat the boys if he tried, a real racer
Greg has potential, if he was put through the ladder at a proper pace, it wouldnd help him alot, he hs talent, althought i think he sdhould be doing fbmw, next year, depends how he goes in f3 tho, he did very well in his debut race i think. nige needs to slow down and take it one step at a time.
Old 31 Jan 2007, 09:45 (Ref:1830020)   #28
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Exactly how old are the boys? The ladder that drivers used to climb to F1 in Nigel's day has gone, you now start being a "pro" in karting at 14 or so and have F1 links by the time you are 16/18 if you have real tallent in Europe. I think Nigel may have realised he has to take them to the States where there is more opportunity
Old 31 Jan 2007, 16:02 (Ref:1830326)   #29
norman-normal
Veteran

norman-normal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought Nigel lives in Florida. ???
Old 31 Jan 2007, 16:07 (Ref:1830333)   #30
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He still has a home there like he always has. Doesn't live there though, used to on the isle of man now on jersey.
Old 31 Jan 2007, 16:11 (Ref:1830341)   #31
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Of course Nigel will be quickest. He has all the experience and neither of his sons have shown enough natural ability to make a career out of racing. With continued investment they could perhaps become proficient midfield runners somewhere. They remind me a little of Mathius Lauda in the ability stakes.
Old 31 Jan 2007, 16:13 (Ref:1830344)   #32
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke
He still has a home there like he always has. Doesn't live there though, used to on the isle of man now on jersey.
His old house on IOM is currently for sale if anyone fancys £3.7 mill
Old 31 Jan 2007, 16:39 (Ref:1830376)   #33
old man
Veteran

England
UK
Has a golf course in S W England for a day job
Old 31 Jan 2007, 18:46 (Ref:1830483)   #34
darcym
Veteran

darcym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
over took the mansall racing "foundaiton" truck this morning on the M4 - with both boys helmets and names on the side, the truck was very well done out and covered in the regular mansall sponsorts, sunseeker etc.
Old 31 Jan 2007, 20:13 (Ref:1830544)   #35
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
Quote:
Originally Posted by darcym
over took the mansall racing "foundaiton" truck this morning on the M4 - with both boys helmets and names on the side, the truck was very well done out and covered in the regular mansall sponsorts, sunseeker etc.
Well i don't think our Nige is short of the odd £100mill or so.
Old 3 Feb 2007, 00:04 (Ref:1832275)   #36
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Both boys needed a second season in FBMW. if Greg had done well he could have justified a seat in British F3.
By keeping them in the 'limelight' he can use the name to generate sponsorship to partially fund it but would be better (IMHO) to put them into national class (yr old ) F3 for a year so they don't look like a mess then if they have the talent promote them up a class. It is all too quick and like many wealthy young men following in their fathers footsteps they may no be 'hungry' enough.
Nigel Mansell and Damon Hill battled with finances, not so Greg and Leo.

Piquet junior did his apprenticeship in karts as did Nico Rosberg, the mansell boys haven't served a drivers apprenticeship and that is the difference between success and failure. Even Bruno Senna did karts as a kid and in his early teens before giving it up to concentrate on education etc.They (the Mansell boys) will only succeed if massively talented....
Old 3 Feb 2007, 00:23 (Ref:1832281)   #37
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
They are both late to the game and although as a dad i am sure Nigel thinks they can do no wrong, it's very unlikely that they will make a career out of motor sport at this time in their lives. They wil be competing with guys and girls who have been racing karts since they were 7/8/9. Nigel himself had to struggle to achieve what he has done, even selling his house to finance four Formula 3 races. I don't believe that as sons of a famous and wealthy father they wil have the determination to make it when things don't go quite as planned.
Old 3 Feb 2007, 20:09 (Ref:1832767)   #38
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They won't make it to GP2, you can hold me on that if you want, but who knows, Nige may know this and they may even do Toyota Atlantic and lead to Champ Car? Who knows.
Old 13 Feb 2007, 21:58 (Ref:1840766)   #39
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga
They (the Mansell boys) will only succeed if massively talented....
Im not sure about LeoO , although i gather he outpaced Greg in some of the F3 tests ...But Greg does seems a bit of a chip off Nigels block in a race mode ....there certainly seems something there that could develop .
Old 23 Feb 2007, 20:51 (Ref:1850109)   #40
Kieran20
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Kieran20 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke
They won't make it to GP2, you can hold me on that if you want, but who knows, Nige may know this and they may even do Toyota Atlantic and lead to Champ Car? Who knows.
if mansell want his boys in GP2, they will be in GP2.

i think greg has real potential, but for god sake nige stop rushing them up the ladder!
Old 24 Feb 2007, 09:44 (Ref:1850400)   #41
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran20
if mansell want his boys in GP2, they will be in GP2.

i think greg has real potential, but for god sake nige stop rushing them up the ladder!
Of course they can do GP2 if they want. Nigel has the money to buy the drives and some team owner will be more than happy to take the money. Or Nigel could go down his favourite route and buy the team. The question is, will they be any good if they get there.
Old 24 Feb 2007, 15:57 (Ref:1850594)   #42
Leighton Irwin
Veteran

Canada
Victoria Harbour (on Georgian Bay)
Leighton Irwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is a season of racing before the test. Why don't we wait and see how they do this year?
Even Gilles V. was in his 2nd year of Atlantics before he shone. Good the first year but not super.
Old 25 Feb 2007, 21:17 (Ref:1851306)   #43
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreversideways
Of course they can do GP2 if they want. Nigel has the money to buy the drives and some team owner will be more than happy to take the money. Or Nigel could go down his favourite route and buy the team. The question is, will they be any good if they get there.
DPR buyout???
Old 26 Feb 2007, 09:55 (Ref:1851854)   #44
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekola
DPR buyout???
Stranger things have happened.
Old 18 Apr 2007, 21:09 (Ref:1895083)   #45
amier
Racer

amier has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Sato didnt have a kart career, and he did ok to reach F1 and has been thhere since 2002!

I do agree mansell boys needed more time to develop their racecraft in maybe something like formula renault before the jump to f3. But look at max chilton, T cars to f3, thats a stupid move!
Old 18 Apr 2007, 21:11 (Ref:1895084)   #46
amier
Racer

amier has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Imsure they will be fine in GP2, they seem to have more tallent than Jason Tahinci, and he has been there since 2005 IIRC.
Old 18 Apr 2007, 22:03 (Ref:1895112)   #47
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
One of them had a good race in F3 the other weekend
Old 18 Apr 2007, 22:03 (Ref:1895113)   #48
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
One of them had a good race in F3 the other weekend