Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 17 Aug 2002, 21:01 (Ref:359918)   #1
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Starting Grid - Elkhart

Bruno brings out a red flag and loses his fastest lap. Not to worry! He owned all three of the fastest on the day!

1. Junqueira
2. da Matta (set Friday)
3. Tagliani
4. Tracy
5. Dixon
6. Franchitti
7. Brack
8. Fernandez
9. Servia
10. Nakano

An all-Canadian second row, with Tags outqualifying Carpentier by nine positions! Seems like the team is just as hot as the driver is. Great to see Fernandez Racing putting up respectable times for both cars. On the other hand, Rahal's team continues to struggle. Vasser and Jourdain are 15th and 16th respectively.

Anybody else watch Saturday qualifying? Hear Kanaan blast his team? I wish I had it on video to watch it over and make a few quotes. I've never heard a driver so critical of the team before! From memory: "I told the guys that we might as well just pack up and go home." "Seems like nobody knows what they're doing." "I'm doing everything I possibly can." "I'm the only one doing his job." "$250,000 damage for nothing!"

Can't blame the guy. Rear wing falls off on Friday, resulting in a big wreck. Engine explodes on Saturday, red flag comes out and he loses fast lap. Then he can't turn a lap in the backup car. I'm not sure of the reasons, maybe someone else can fill us in.

Happy to see that da Matta's not on pole. If it weren't for bonus points, he'd be around fifth in the championship! (Don't bother doing the math, I'm greatly exagerating).
Old 17 Aug 2002, 21:24 (Ref:359936)   #2
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It really is a shame for Kanaan, he deserves better.
Old 17 Aug 2002, 21:37 (Ref:359946)   #3
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

What happened to make him go off though? I heard there was some incident with Nakano. :confused:
Old 17 Aug 2002, 21:38 (Ref:359947)   #4
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting... go Paul!
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 17 Aug 2002, 22:52 (Ref:359984)   #5
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Poor Tony!!! He just goes from one bad thing to another.

PS. You shouldn't be surprised .... he did trash the Pineapple Racing garage at Mid-Ohio last week.
Old 17 Aug 2002, 23:17 (Ref:360004)   #6
Rachel
Rookie

Rachel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can understand that Kanaan is upset, especially considering the past two weeks. But to air his dirty laundry in the media and put all the blame on his team is just unacceptable. I've lost most of the respect I had for him.
Old 17 Aug 2002, 23:27 (Ref:360014)   #7
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Come on. Every DNF he has had this year (and there have been an awful lot) has been mechanical related. How frustrating would that be?
Old 17 Aug 2002, 23:41 (Ref:360019)   #8
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Everyone feels for Tony. He is the unluckiest driver in CART ever!! Everytime he appears destined for a great result (most recent example being Mid-Ohio) something goes wrong with the car. It isn't Tony's fault.

Newman/Haas, Players and Target are the teams to beat this year.
Old 17 Aug 2002, 23:56 (Ref:360022)   #9
Rachel
Rookie

Rachel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I completely understand his frustration. But if he has problems with the crew, well then handle it within the team. I don't see why he needs to drag the media into it.
But my main issue is that he's saying that his team isn't trying. Having known someone who worked on the team for two years, I can tell with certainty that this isn't true. If Tony really wants to blame someone, he can start with the fact that Mo Nunn racing lacks a big budget, which means inferior equipment to begin with. Blame Honda for stopping development on their engine. Blame his infamiliarity with the Lola. But he has no right to say that he's the only one trying.
Old 18 Aug 2002, 02:17 (Ref:360048)   #10
Arneal
Racer

Arneal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with Rachel. I have felt sorry for Tony all season because of his bad luck, but attacking your team is inexcusable. I don't care if they are bozos you don't say so on TV.

If a driver wants to vent his frustation that is fine with me. I loved Paul Tracy's "Clown" speech, but Tony has crossed a line somehow by ruthlessly going after his team.

I know that Mud Hut Racing is constantly attacking each other in the media and even suing each other in court, but that is different because ... well ... hmmm. Let me think about this for a while.
Old 18 Aug 2002, 03:31 (Ref:360053)   #11
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Newbury Park, CA, United States
Muzza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Starting Grid - Elkhart

Quote:
Originally posted by macdaddy
I'm not sure of the reasons, maybe someone else can fill us in.
Hello, Macdaddy,

I understand that the fuel pump of his reserve car refused to work, and the team had no time to replace it.
Old 18 Aug 2002, 08:58 (Ref:360116)   #12
mac
Veteran

You've swung me Rachel, I now agree with you. I still feel very sorry for him though.

Big wraps to Servia for qualifying 9th.
Old 18 Aug 2002, 10:14 (Ref:360150)   #13
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mario Dominguez 5 seconds off pole problems?

Not good for Rahal - 15 and 16th

Tora 11th :S .....and he's the highest starter for my Fantasy Racing Team

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 19 Aug 2002, 00:13 (Ref:360751)   #14
Arneal
Racer

Arneal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
During the race telecast Tony Kaanan apologised to his team citing frustation as having pushed him towards his bad behaviour.

Later Paul Tracy, commenting on Bracks apology for taking him out of the race, said that apologies don't score points, but for Kanaan one may have.
Old 19 Aug 2002, 01:16 (Ref:360795)   #15
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It had to be, really. Those words didn't sound very much like Tony.