Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Closed Thread

Old 15 Jun 2010, 16:18 (Ref:2712652)   #101
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
I would not call Midweek Motorsport a news outlet. It is entertainment. If you have a complaint, send it to them. They'll gladly talk to you.

You mention lack of bias, however, it appears that if you take the opposing position from your point of view you are a "US-car fanboy". That's fine with me, cause I are one.
I'm not suggesting that's a bad thing actually and I'm as comfortable with the anti-AD view as I am with my own.

I just don't think that's what MWM were meant to be representing, but after my exchange with whoever was tweeting yesterday clearly my interpretation of what they were trying to be (an entertaining, often satirical, news thing) was wrong.

I did take it up with them and got the response "I'll tweet what I like thanks". That is their right as it is mine to stop following them. Seems an odd way to communicate with your potential audience but it's their right. No Corvettes were harmed during this exchange of views
Old 15 Jun 2010, 16:38 (Ref:2712660)   #102
NightStalk3r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wiltshire, England
NightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Collard's comment was he didn't even know Davidson was there, he also said there was no contact, so surely Collard would have taken that same line and lost it on the marbles whether Davidson was there or not.

In all of this i think Davidson was just in the wrong place at the wrong time and now all the Corvette fans world wide are looking for someone to put the blame on as they refuse to believe that one of there own drivers could make such a mistake.
Old 15 Jun 2010, 17:01 (Ref:2712670)   #103
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightStalk3r View Post
Collard's comment was he didn't even know Davidson was there, he also said there was no contact, so surely Collard would have taken that same line and lost it on the marbles whether Davidson was there or not.
Sorry, but your anti-Corvette sentiments have completely blurred your mind. Are you really saying that Collard would have crashed in exactly the same way if Davidson was nowhere near him?

Collard did not see Davidson diving on the inside. He steered in the corner, saw the Peugeot on the inside, was surprised, backed off leaving the race line, and lost control of the car.

Remember that with the surfacing of the Porsche curves there is a huge grip difference between the race line and off the line.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastien Bourdais
For sure the new surface at the Porsche Curves is more grippy, but it's also more tricky because the difference in grip between the racing line and off the line is huge. It feels wider, too.
source: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/84300
Old 15 Jun 2010, 17:09 (Ref:2712674)   #104
Lola T70
Racer

Lola T70 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whichever side you sit on, the Corvette had to move out of the line to avoid contact and the comments on Speed TV were not very clever.
Old 15 Jun 2010, 17:13 (Ref:2712675)   #105
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Wasn't Collard just day dreaming and his mates at RLM and Speed TV jumped to his defense?
Old 15 Jun 2010, 17:15 (Ref:2712677)   #106
NightStalk3r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wiltshire, England
NightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
He steered in the corner, saw the Peugeot on the inside, was surprised, backed off leaving the race line, and lost control of the car.
Thats not what Collard said, he said he missed the right line yet he also said he didn't know the Peugeot was there.

If he missed the line because he was avoiding contact with the Peugeot he would have had to know the Peugeot was there.

So your saying Collard's account of the incident is wrong?
Old 15 Jun 2010, 17:33 (Ref:2712687)   #107
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

In all of this i think Davidson was just in the wrong place at the wrong time and now all the Corvette fans world wide are looking for someone to put the blame on as they refuse to believe that one of there own drivers could make such a mistake.

What a crock! Manu did not see AD stick up the inside, and frankly was not expected at that part of the track, so when he tried to continue following his line he could not because AD was in the way. At that point Manu was fully commited to running that line and because it was TAKEN away he went off line and was wrecked avoiding AD. Pure rubbish BS move on AD's part!!!!

Putting Manu off, whether he rammed the Vette, barely touched the Vette or no contact was made and he simply took the line away and forced the Vette off, is still AD's fault. This did not happen in a vacuum, AD was all over the place during that time of the race, outside the track passing and cutting back hard in front of an Audi (warned) Air born at pit in, absolutely out of Frakking control (10.5/10ths) !!!

And no we are not looking to put blame on someone, we know who's actions brought about the incident! And he is a tool, as evidenced by his interviews after that stint!

L.P.
Old 15 Jun 2010, 18:15 (Ref:2712713)   #108
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
My problem here has been that the ranting is out of proportion to the event! Totally OTT with a lack of perspective. That was the case on the Radio and followed here and more so elsewhere. IMHO. It gives the impression of not being about the incident, but rather who was involved. I'm sure for some it isn't, but for others I bet it is. And the credibility of those others slips.

We need a new fairy cake in the machine.
Old 15 Jun 2010, 18:17 (Ref:2712715)   #109
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
What a crock! Manu did not see AD stick up the inside, and frankly was not expected at that part of the track, so when he tried to continue following his line he could not because AD was in the way. At that point Manu was fully commited to running that line and because it was TAKEN away he went off line and was wrecked avoiding AD. Pure rubbish BS move on AD's part!!!!

Putting Manu off, whether he rammed the Vette, barely touched the Vette or no contact was made and he simply took the line away and forced the Vette off, is still AD's fault.

And he is a tool, as evidenced by his interviews after that stint!

Whether he is a tool, or not is irrelevant.

Passing in the Porsche Curves, is not expected? So if we review the race, and other years races, (GT) cars are not normally passed at that spot? Ever?

How can a professional racing driver have absolutely no awareness another car is coming up on him? Perhaps Collard will be a little more mindful of his mirrors from now on, as it seems obvious he just wasn't paying enough attention.

You can see Collard turn into Ant.. then pull away from him...by the time he moves over towards Ant, the Pug has half a car lead. Is the visibility in the Vette so poor, that you can't see a car that is half a car ahead of you? It is reaction pulling away from Ant, that pushes him off track. He was clearly surprised there was a car there, even though it was ahead of him.

I think Collard's concentration was a bit lacking to be honest, probably a mistake he won't make again.

If no Prototypes ever successfully pass GT's there, then I can see how this is Davidson's fault.
Old 15 Jun 2010, 18:25 (Ref:2712723)   #110
prototype
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, Georgia
prototype should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lets have a vote on this topic!
Old 15 Jun 2010, 18:38 (Ref:2712726)   #111
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Putting Manu off, whether he rammed the Vette, barely touched the Vette or no contact was made and he simply took the line away and forced the Vette off, is still AD's fault. This did not happen in a vacuum, AD was all over the place during that time of the race, outside the track passing and cutting back hard in front of an Audi (warned) Air born at pit in, absolutely out of Frakking control (10.5/10ths) !!!

And no we are not looking to put blame on someone, we know who's actions brought about the incident! And he is a tool, as evidenced by his interviews after that stint!

L.P.
Meanwhile back on planet earth... where race cars are allowed to overtake... even Corvettes!
Old 15 Jun 2010, 18:43 (Ref:2712729)   #112
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Friel View Post
Meanwhile back on planet earth... where race cars are allowed to overtake... even Corvettes!

Yes, overtaking is allowed, even expected, in a fashion that does not wreck somone!

L.P.
Old 15 Jun 2010, 19:03 (Ref:2712741)   #113
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
My problem here has been that the ranting is out of proportion to the event! Totally OTT with a lack of perspective. That was the case on the Radio and followed here and more so elsewhere. IMHO. It gives the impression of not being about the incident, but rather who was involved. I'm sure for some it isn't, but for others I bet it is. And the credibility of those others slips.

We need a new fairy cake in the machine.

My problem here is that many are trying to dismiss an incident in which (in this case) Manu could have lost his life! This forced 'off' was at a very high rate of speed and could have been very tragic! That seems to be lost or just ignored by many. Pitiful, IMO!

L.P.
Old 15 Jun 2010, 19:10 (Ref:2712748)   #114
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Tune in to Midweek Motorsport tomorrow night. Ant is on the show to explain himself in front of the person who delivered the strongest rant about his move on the Corvette on Sunday...

http://twitter.com/MidwkMotorsport/status/16246563809
Old 15 Jun 2010, 19:24 (Ref:2712760)   #115
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
My problem here is that many are trying to dismiss an incident in which (in this case) Manu could have lost his life! This forced 'off' was at a very high rate of speed and could have been very tragic! That seems to be lost or just ignored by many. Pitiful, IMO!
It hasn't been lost! Manu wasn't forced off at all! It was a racing incident and if he lost his life it would have been very tragic. However the blame can't be placed squarely at Ants door which is what some people such as yourself are doing and are refusing to see otherwise!
Old 15 Jun 2010, 19:24 (Ref:2712761)   #116
Stefvh
Veteran

Belgium
Stefvh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

L.P.

That sounds ironic.
Old 15 Jun 2010, 19:39 (Ref:2712775)   #117
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

Given the potential severe consequences of the alleged dangerous driving, what was the penalty Davidson received from the ACO?
Old 15 Jun 2010, 19:44 (Ref:2712777)   #118
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
Tune in to Midweek Motorsport tomorrow night. Ant is on the show to explain himself in front of the person who delivered the strongest rant about his move on the Corvette on Sunday...

http://twitter.com/MidwkMotorsport/status/16246563809
Good stuff! Hindy and Ant seemed to work out their issues after the race - love the photos on Facebook - and it would be nice if a lot people posting around the web could do the same. Now if we could just get Manu on there as well...

Still want to give kudos to TK and Priaulx for being top gents with each other and the press after their contretemps. Whatever your take on that - lots of people said TK should have been passing a GT on the inside in the Porsche Curves - they were both very professional in accepting a share of the blame.
Old 15 Jun 2010, 20:34 (Ref:2712812)   #119
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
How did you manage to prove my point so well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
Given the potential severe consequences of the alleged dangerous driving, what was the penalty Davidson received from the ACO?
He was arrested for attempted murder!

Zaphod, don't eat that fairy cake!
Old 15 Jun 2010, 20:58 (Ref:2712824)   #120
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!

Won't SOMEBODY please think of the children?
Old 15 Jun 2010, 21:00 (Ref:2712826)   #121
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Thats not what Collard said, he said he missed the right line yet he also said he didn't know the Peugeot was there.

If he missed the line because he was avoiding contact with the Peugeot he would have had to know the Peugeot was there.

So your saying Collard's account of the incident is wrong?
Your interpretation of his comment is plain wrong. Look what he said:
Quote:
I turned to the second left in the Porsche corner and the Peugeot was on the inside.
There was no contact, but he was there on the inside and I missed the right line. The car lost grip, and I crashed.
He clearly says that he missed the right line because he saw the Peugeot on the inside.

He did not know Davidson was there when he started to turn into the corner. Either because he was not looking in his mirror or because he did not expect Davidson to make that move.
Quote:
I didn't know he was there, I was focused on my driving.
Old 15 Jun 2010, 21:04 (Ref:2712827)   #122
NightStalk3r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wiltshire, England
Quote:
Your interpretation of his comment is plain wrong. Look what he said:
He clearly says that he missed the right line because he saw the Peugeot on the inside.
"I turned to the second left in the Porsche corner and the Peugeot was on the inside," Collard said. "I didn't know he was there, I was focused on my driving. There was no contact, but he was there on the inside and I missed the right line. The car lost grip, and I crashed."

Anyway we could go at this all day, but i have better things to do so that's all from me folks ciao.
Old 15 Jun 2010, 21:14 (Ref:2712834)   #123
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
You are reading his comment extremely selective. This is how any sensible person reads that sentence.
Quote:
I turned to the second left in the Porsche corner and the Peugeot was on the inside. I didn't know he was there, I was focused on my driving. There was no contact, but he was there on the inside and I missed the right line. The car lost grip, and I crashed.
The part you highlight refers to Collard starting to turn the race. The part I highlight refers to Collard suddenly seeing the Peugeot on the inside and stopping to turn in order to avoid contact.
Old 16 Jun 2010, 05:31 (Ref:2712967)   #124
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
He did not know Davidson was there when he started to turn into the corner. Either because he was not looking in his mirror or because he did not expect Davidson to make that move.
SO your admiting Collard wasnt lookin in his mirror ? He is in a GT car and its expected LMP's will come past you, any drivers will tell you its so hard in GT car because of that fact. Sure its upto the LMP driver to judge weather he can overtake but its also the job of the GT driver to be aware. Anyway Im with Nightstalker I could discuss this all day but I have better things to do with my time, so lets just agree to disagree.......

Old 16 Jun 2010, 06:24 (Ref:2712977)   #125
peckadj
Racer

peckadj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if you dont use your mirrors when you there are faster cars on the track you dont do your job as a driver. other drivers can focus on there driving and use mirrors, all the time
Closed Thread