Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Justin Wilson tests Champ car for Newman-Haas

From autosport.com
Quote:
British single-seater star Justin Wilson has completed his first test on an oval circuit in a Newman-Hass Champ Car at Homestead in Florida.

Last year's Formula 3000 champion completed 250 laps of the 1.5-mile circuit and said that he enjoyed the experience.

"I feel more confident now, having never driven on an oval before," Wilson told Autosport.com. "But I'm still learning. No two ovals are the same."

He suffered one spin during the test when he caught the apron on the inside of Turn 4. But he was able to control the Lola-Toyota and kept it out of the wall.

There is no indication as yet on Wilson being invited back for another test, or if he is a contender to join new signing Bruno Junqueira at the team next year.

The height problems that kept him out of a Minardi Formula 1 drive earlier this year were not an issue in the bigger Champ Car cockpit.
II don't think there's much you can get from this as the test was on an oval. He won the F3000 Championship though, so I assume if he came in he'd be at least reasonably competitive.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 9 Oct 2002, 23:40 (Ref:399820)   #2
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hope he gets a seat in CART. He's been trundling round in that Nissan series in Spain, but I think he's been downhearted after winning the F3000 series and not getting an F1 drive.

If he gets another couple of tests and keeps impressing team bosses, he could get a ride. It will probably depend on how much sponsorship be brings.
Old 10 Oct 2002, 01:02 (Ref:399851)   #3
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It would be good to see Justin in the car, the fact he missed out on a test drive in 2002 is just absurd. He was the clear winner in F3000, he deserves to be racing at the top level.
Old 10 Oct 2002, 10:34 (Ref:400092)   #4
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Only one spin in his first 250 oval laps in a ChampCar is impressive, and it seems like the team were pleased with his performance. It'd be good to see him in the second Newman-Haas next eyar, or maybe in Mario's satellite braqnch if that happens.
Old 10 Oct 2002, 15:20 (Ref:400394)   #5
Tiresmoke
Racer

Tiresmoke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wilson's the real deal. CART would be lucky to have him. Justin's another JPM, CDM guy who'll be off to a great ride in F1 after he wins a CART championship in a year or two.

An N/H dream team would be Justin Wilson with a veteran like Junqueira.
Old 10 Oct 2002, 16:05 (Ref:400442)   #6
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wouldnt put him JPM or even Bruno J level, but definately at least as good as Christian.
Old 10 Oct 2002, 22:30 (Ref:400730)   #7
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good to see someone in a top team finally recognises Wilson's talents. Winning the F3000 title was no mean feat and I don't feel he was given credit for it and how Jordan overlooked him is beyond me, but for the Honda thing of course. I hope he earnes the drive, we need a Brit in the series next year.