Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 5 Aug 2005, 16:54 (Ref:1373080)   #1
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
2005: 1991 revisited

This season brings to mind 1991.

Alonso = Senna in the McLaren Honda

A string of wins early on then keeps racking up points even when another car is faster. Comes back with a very strong finish to claim the title.

Raikkonen = Mansell in the Williams

Slow start, then wins a bunch of races - but the car proves a bit too fragile to take overall honours.

We can only hope 2006 sees Kimi then have Mansell-esque results of 1992!
Old 5 Aug 2005, 17:16 (Ref:1373108)   #2
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well yes, if you're a Kimi fan...... Just having 3-4 drivers able to slog it out would do me, whoever they are......
Old 5 Aug 2005, 17:20 (Ref:1373114)   #3
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'd rather hope for a competitive season than a Kimi benefit party.......
Old 5 Aug 2005, 17:23 (Ref:1373118)   #4
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes, the last line was a throwaway, but does anyone else see the 1991/2005 similarities?
Old 5 Aug 2005, 17:25 (Ref:1373119)   #5
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I do see the parallels, although not necessarily with this part:

Quote:
Comes back with a very strong finish to claim the title.
I have my doubts as to whether Renault will find much front-running pace in the remainder of the season. I do think Alonso will win the title though, simply given the fact it is largely out of Raikkonen's hands (as in Raikkonen can keep winning but Alonso just needs to pick up some fairly decent finishes to claim it.)
Old 5 Aug 2005, 18:22 (Ref:1373161)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Although in '91 Senna won in Hungary, slowing Mansell's progress towards him in the title race.

I see the parallels though.
Old 5 Aug 2005, 18:43 (Ref:1373179)   #7
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yep, there's no doubting the parallels.
Old 5 Aug 2005, 19:21 (Ref:1373201)   #8
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Now let's wait and see which talented driver will make his debut at Spa.
Old 5 Aug 2005, 19:37 (Ref:1373209)   #9
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Could be a worrying time for London taxi drivers in that case Don.

Actually there's another parallel - didn't Ferrari's only fastest lap of 1991 come in the US?

There are definite similarities, although I agree that I'd prefer a close season to a runaway one next year. Kimi winning it would be fine though.
Old 5 Aug 2005, 19:48 (Ref:1373218)   #10
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well, we just need to wait to Spa to see the debut of our future multi-million earning champion in a Jordan then?
Old 5 Aug 2005, 21:36 (Ref:1373421)   #11
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazard
Well, we just need to wait to Spa to see the debut of our future multi-million earning champion in a Jordan then?
I wonder if the next one burns out his clutch as well...

I can see the similarities between them for sure.
Even the downfall of Ferrari is so like back in 1991!
Old 5 Aug 2005, 22:08 (Ref:1373455)   #12
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Didn't Michael and Doornbos both debut in the year's 11th race?