Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 19 Jun 2015, 19:29 (Ref:3552236)   #1
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F1 Safety Car Arrow Marshal

I am sorry if this is the wrong forum, but I thought I might get a more intelligent answer here rather than the F1 forum.

Charlie Whiting publishes the Event Notes on the FIA website. http://www.fia.com/file/29695/download?token=a5BwgVFI

In the notes which are fairly much the same for each event, it lists a "Safety Car Arrow Marshal".

Who is the marshal (FIA Staff?) and what do they do?
Old 19 Jun 2015, 23:08 (Ref:3552285)   #2
Guinness2702
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cambridge
Guinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGuinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess this is referring to the fact that, in the event that the start/finish straight is blocked, the SC *may* proceed via the pitlane instead. In this case, a marshal at the flag point prior to pit entry will be directed by RC to display an arrow board/sign, directing cars into the pits.

I've just taken a look at the regs, and there's no reference to this arrow in the 2015 regs ... but I seem to recall this being in regs in previous years.

Last edited by Guinness2702; 19 Jun 2015 at 23:13.
Old 20 Jun 2015, 18:07 (Ref:3552490)   #3
marshal andrew
Rookie

United Kingdom
Irthlingborough
marshal andrew should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was on post 29 last year and between the 2 yellow flag marshals we looked after the safety car arrow board. Just need to look out for felipe massa as the last 2 years he has crashed where you need to stand
Old 21 Jun 2015, 14:02 (Ref:3552714)   #4
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshal andrew View Post
I was on post 29 last year and between the 2 yellow flag marshals we looked after the safety car arrow board. Just need to look out for felipe massa as the last 2 years he has crashed where you need to stand
So the arrow board is to direct the cars to follow the SC in to the pitlane. Thanks
Old 21 Jun 2015, 19:47 (Ref:3552806)   #5
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Or to indicate to Massa where he's to have his accident, apparently.

I suspect they had a similar system for Mr Piquet jr, but not enough arrows to go around...
Old 22 Jun 2015, 08:29 (Ref:3552930)   #6
SouthportFC Fan
Racer

Wales
Southport
SouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
Or to indicate to Massa where he's to have his accident, apparently.

I suspect they had a similar system for Mr Piquet jr, but not enough arrows to go around...
Unlike Mr Massa, Piquet Jnr didn't need an arrow because he was fully briefed before the event on where to have his accident, allegedly
Old 22 Jun 2015, 08:30 (Ref:3552931)   #7
SouthportFC Fan
Racer

Wales
Southport
SouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_l View Post
I am sorry if this is the wrong forum, but I thought I might get a more intelligent answer here rather than the F1 forum.
Wrong .......
Old 22 Jun 2015, 12:33 (Ref:3553010)   #8
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthportFC Fan View Post
Wrong .......
More intelligent abuse and mis-information, certainly, but not necessarily a correct answer!

Actually, we seem to have started with the correct answer and then descended into mockery (not of the OP I hasten to add), which is the proper way of doing things
Old 22 Jun 2015, 13:23 (Ref:3553020)   #9
Guinness2702
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cambridge
Guinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGuinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Actually, we seem to have started with the correct answer and then descended into mockery
Wait, I got that right!
Old 22 Jun 2015, 14:06 (Ref:3553035)   #10
gravel_monkey
Veteran

England
widnes
gravel_monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
we took the radical cup through the pits this weekend at Oulton due to a start line accident, all goo fun with team personnel jumping out in front of you and 20 odd radicals
Old 22 Jun 2015, 14:51 (Ref:3553051)   #11
thepits!
Veteran

England
England
thepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm open to be corrected ... actually I'm not because I know I'm right .

The first time a UK SC went thru the pit-lane was at an ASCAR meeting at Rockingham.

After that other UK circuits adopted the idea, the MSA re-wrote the Blue Book, and eventually the FIA caught up and added it into the F1 regulations.

But don't care.
Old 23 Jun 2015, 12:24 (Ref:3553312)   #12
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
And there's no possibility that the idea got taken from the Americans who invented the idea in the first place...

But good for us for having the common sense to spot a sensible process and adopt it. Unlike FIA who've gone out of their way to deny any similarity to the American pace car system and to attempt continually to reinvent it in a variety of ways which don't work as well as the original.
Old 23 Jun 2015, 14:43 (Ref:3553353)   #13
thepits!
Veteran

England
England
thepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
And there's no possibility that the idea got taken from the Americans who invented the idea in the first place..
Every chance as I said ....

"The first time a UK SC went thru the pit-lane was at an ASCAR meeting at Rockingham."

The clues are in the dialogue

But don't care.