Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 28 May 2023, 21:34 (Ref:4158631)   #1
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
And iirc, PatO kinda blamed Marcus for pushing him into the grass. Sorry, mate. You were the aggressor and like you say, glad he didn't take Marcus out with him, even tho he said he'd do it the next time.

Well Pato tends to get the red mist a bit too often.

I think what I found confusing about the end of the race, is that iirc, there were three laps left when the yellow came out and then it two laps but only one lap of actual racing.
Old 28 May 2023, 21:40 (Ref:4158632)   #2
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I think what I found confusing about the end of the race, is that iirc, there were three laps left when the yellow came out and then it two laps but only one lap of actual racing.
Three laps left, one used up to complete that lap and stop in the pits, then one to get going again, and one to race.

I don't quite know what to make of the reds and the restarts etc, but something that annoyed me a lot is the red thrown at 14 laps remaining, then so many laps behind the pace car that there were only 8 laps left when the racing actually restarted (though, granted one of those was due to the initial restart being called off for being too slow). Losing 6 of 14 laps just chugging around behind the pace car is a joke.
Old 29 May 2023, 03:14 (Ref:4158667)   #3
mstets
Racer

mstets should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
And iirc, PatO kinda blamed Marcus for pushing him into the grass. Sorry, mate. You were the aggressor and like you say, glad he didn't take Marcus out with him, even tho he said he'd do it the next time.

Pato said that he was too nice. I wonder if his view will change after seeing the replay. I like Pato but it looked to me like he did himself in.
Old 29 May 2023, 07:21 (Ref:4158696)   #4
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstets View Post
Pato said that he was too nice. I wonder if his view will change after seeing the replay. I like Pato but it looked to me like he did himself in.
I jumped off the sofa howling in disbelief!!

He got the previous restart spot on but Ericsson and Josef were on him for this one and he got jumped. The panic set in and led to that lunge.

He could have dropped back in behind Marcus kept the tow through the Shute onto the front straight and done him cleanly into T1. The tow would likely have kept him in touch with the Shell car and he could have set about working Josef over for the next couple of laps.

Definitely blew it.

Felix really blew it too. Suspect he won't be retained next year after that. Rossi was the steady eddie in the team. In contention but never had the outright edge that Pato or Felix had. However he saved AMSP's face with that result.

Highlight for me: TK on the grass at 220! Lol!!
Old 28 May 2023, 21:28 (Ref:4158627)   #5
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I don't really buy any conspiracies but the red flags late in the race made for a complete shat product for what was up to that point, an enjoyable event.
It definitely ruined what was running well and shows a clear minimum speed or better control needed on restart. Better movement and the field moving would have likely cut at least one of the reds out. Looked like the last one was the field not all going and some hesitation, without that a different feel to the end.

Couldn't care who won, although any time Cindric wins I feel a bit sick. Something about his radio delivery and interviews of "of course we're smarter we're Penske" but better than son was in Busch cars and crying so maybe some of that carried over.

Gotta wonder if the rules will work so Josef can get the I think 450k for repeat now, think it's around 20-25k added each year from Borg Warner for a repeat
Old 6 Jun 2023, 06:02 (Ref:4160158)   #6
mstets
Racer

mstets should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I don't really buy any conspiracies but the red flags late in the race made for a complete shat product for what was up to that point, an enjoyable event.

I was surprised by a casual Indycar fan texting me about the possibility of Penske dictating the last red flag. I told him that I wasn't buying in to that. It's a shame that Newgarden's win will always be a bit tainted by that possibility. I generally root against a Penske win but I think Josef is the best driver from the USA to get to a major series in the last 20 (?) years and I'm glad to see him get an Indy win.

The race is all about tradition, run it traditionally. Don't throw red flags solely for the purpose of finishing under green. NASCAR has ruined its racing and its championship in pursuit of a "show". Anything that Indycar does along the same lines is a mistake.
Old 6 Jun 2023, 10:35 (Ref:4160194)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstets View Post
I was surprised by a casual Indycar fan texting me about the possibility of Penske dictating the last red flag. I told him that I wasn't buying in to that. It's a shame that Newgarden's win will always be a bit tainted by that possibility. I generally root against a Penske win but I think Josef is the best driver from the USA to get to a major series in the last 20 (?) years and I'm glad to see him get an Indy win.

So you’re saying this goes all the way to top and it was the President who dictated this not Penske?

Red flag gate!
Old 28 May 2023, 22:04 (Ref:4158638)   #8
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I see someone was hit by debris in that accident, but they were seen and released from the inflexible car center.

https://twitter.com/jeff_gluck/statu...yWILSZ0DMY7C-g
Old 29 May 2023, 00:32 (Ref:4158651)   #9
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I see someone was hit by debris in that accident, but they were seen and released from the inflexible car center.

Just unbelievably lucky, that. It could've been so bad but it wasn't
Old 29 May 2023, 05:33 (Ref:4158680)   #10
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

The international TV feed showed someone being treated in a golf cart, with interested onlookers being asked to move away.
Old 29 May 2023, 00:41 (Ref:4158654)   #11
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Inflexible car center should read infield care center! At least I got center correct for a US track!
Old 29 May 2023, 02:08 (Ref:4158663)   #12
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Inflexible car center should read infield care center! At least I got center correct for a US track!
I wasn't gonna call you out on it. Inflexible Car Center sounds like my mechanic.
Old 29 May 2023, 02:16 (Ref:4158664)   #13
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Important Chevy Cruze update.
https://twitter.com/andrewkossack/st...yWILSZ0DMY7C-g
Old 29 May 2023, 05:33 (Ref:4158679)   #14
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
A great race. A bit farcical at the end but no blame can be given to the drivers who stayed on the isalnd.

I'm no Zac Brown fan, but his team were unlucky. 20 laps to go and all four cars in play, with three of them in real positions to challenge for the win.

Even after seeing the video of the incident, Pato still says it was all Marcus - completely ignoring the fact that he stuck his nose in to a near suicidal position. Everyone has to love Pato but it's too often the same with him.

Then we have FRo who makes the same mistake he has made so many times before, you've got to wonder how come he just doesn't learn.
Old 29 May 2023, 15:00 (Ref:4158751)   #15
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
My brother was yelling "Keep your visor down, dude!!"
Me too.

[QUOTE=fieldodreams79;4158548]This should've ended at the first red. Not because I want Josef to win, but because we're pushing the limits of safety every time they send these guys into T1. Or on the straights, for crying in the mud. /QUOTE]
Quote:
The weaving is unpleasing to watch.
Agree. It's becoming too dangerous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rika View Post
I like Newgarden, he can win but not like this! I feel that was so undeserved!
Ericsson was really screwed by the race control!
Ericsson should have been penalized for squeezing Pato, and Newgarden should have been penalized for zigzagging.
Old 29 May 2023, 16:28 (Ref:4158767)   #16
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Ericsson should have been penalized for squeezing Pato, and Newgarden should have been penalized for zigzagging.

There's an article from Racer.com about zigzagging, or the Dragon move as it is called. Yesterday wasn't the first time it has been used.

https://racer.com/2023/05/29/dragon-...vil-newgarden/
Old 29 May 2023, 17:16 (Ref:4158773)   #17
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:

Ericsson should have been penalized for squeezing Pato.
Not sure I agree on this one. Late move from PatO with under 10 to go at Indy. Was Marcus supposed to move up into the dirty part of the track, where the majority of the previous incidents started, to get out of the way of a dive bomb move?
Old 30 May 2023, 13:06 (Ref:4158844)   #18
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Not sure I agree on this one. Late move from PatO with under 10 to go at Indy. Was Marcus supposed to move up into the dirty part of the track, where the majority of the previous incidents started, to get out of the way of a dive bomb move?
I don't think it was a dive bomb, it was a well timed move.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rH_rv3kC7_s

Pato is made the moved on 0'41 and was side to side at 0'42. The squeeze and spin was at 0'44.
Old 30 May 2023, 13:19 (Ref:4158845)   #19
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
I don't think it was a dive bomb, it was a well timed move.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rH_rv3kC7_s

Pato is made the moved on 0'41 and was side to side at 0'42. The squeeze and spin was at 0'44.

It looked like a hasty move, which is why he got onto the grass and then lost it.
Old 30 May 2023, 13:22 (Ref:4158846)   #20
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Dive bomb or well timed, it was very aggressive, in the last laps of the biggest race of the year. Is it okay for only one to be aggressive? We've seen this before.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uwp...sMotorSpeedway

Neither deserve a penalty. Hard racing. Sometimes shyte happens.
Old 29 May 2023, 23:07 (Ref:4158800)   #21
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
[QUOTE=NaBUru38;4158751]Me too.

Quote:
This should've ended at the first red. Not because I want Josef to win, but because we're pushing the limits of safety every time they send these guys into T1. Or on the straights, for crying in the mud. /QUOTE]

Agree. It's becoming too dangerous.

Neither was a penalty under Indy rules. Neither one made a reactionary move and Indy rules allow breaking of draft as long as it isn't moving to block. No one would call that move a penalty in RC or reaction move, it's the usual move to break a draft.

Now making it a rule you can't cross over the pit lane would be a good change but wouldn't change the weave either. It would just change how wide the path is
Old 29 May 2023, 15:01 (Ref:4158752)   #22
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
It was a miracle that nobody got hurt. I expect IndyCar to do actual changes to prevent fatalities.
Old 29 May 2023, 16:33 (Ref:4158770)   #23
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
yeah, it’s a feature of the end of Indy every year.

My objection is just it looks weak and it’s tedious. As long as it isn’t late then it’s not dangerous.
Old 29 May 2023, 20:12 (Ref:4158784)   #24
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just realised, first American winner since Rossi in 2016?
For a domestic series IndyCar is incredibly international.
Old 29 May 2023, 21:11 (Ref:4158793)   #25
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwood View Post
Just realised, first American winner since Rossi in 2016?
For a domestic series IndyCar is incredibly international.
Yes ,and 2 Americans on the podium! Haven't checked to records to see when that happened last. IRL days?