Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 9 Mar 2003, 12:51 (Ref:529976)   #1
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Why was it exciting?

Here's the million dollar question.

The race was exciting for a combination of factors - but which was the key one? Was it the new rules coming into play; the damp track to start with; the traditional excitement of the first race with attition and mistakes...

I'm going to say that the rules didn't play as much as a part as they could've done: all the cars that started on the wets and then had to change ended up changing strategy - so we didn't see the true effect of which fuel load was best. Probably best to wait until we have a nice dry race before we can look properly at how the rules are looking.
Old 9 Mar 2003, 12:55 (Ref:529980)   #2
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The key was the weather for sure. Ferrari and Mclaren got a wrong on the tyres and unfortuneatley JPM's good call and work on slicks on the early laps were punished because everyone else couldn't cope with a bit of damp . The safety car periods did close the pack up but it meant that the people that got their strategy wrong didn't loose as much as they should have.
Old 9 Mar 2003, 13:01 (Ref:529988)   #3
RubberD
Racer

RubberD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was nice to see a podium without a Ferrari driver on it. That is the way it should be.
Old 9 Mar 2003, 13:04 (Ref:529992)   #4
Kex
Veteran

England
The Palace of Dreams
Kex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The first few laps certainly diminished all possibility of me falling asleep. Generally wheel-to-wheel action and unpredictability.
Old 9 Mar 2003, 13:20 (Ref:530009)   #5
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Key factor? Wet asphalt.

A 100% dry race and Ferrari would have had it in the pocket. Easy.
Old 9 Mar 2003, 13:22 (Ref:530010)   #6
RubberD
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by NiceGuyEddie
Key factor? Wet asphalt.

A 100% dry race and Ferrari would have had it in the pocket. Easy.
It goes to show that the best car is not enogh when the driver has to do the job
Old 9 Mar 2003, 13:27 (Ref:530016)   #7
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
They did choose the wrong tyres RubberD.
Old 9 Mar 2003, 13:28 (Ref:530017)   #8
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
(1) The growing dismay among the Speed Channel announcers when they realised that no miracle was going to happen and destroy the first three cars so the fourth place car they kept the camera glued on was going to finish FOURTH!

(2) The number of times David Hobbs could say "Michaelschumacher" (one word) in one paragraph leaves me standing in awe. I think he is on pace to beat Peter Page's average of 45 "Mikey Mentions" per race in the days of Andretti worship in CART.

(3) The way they kept making fun of Ralf -- using that Colonel Klink voice to imagine what he was thinking; they did that all weekend and it was really funny!

(4) Imagining TGF screaming over the radio for somebody to force Kimi to let him by -- conveniently forgetting that Kimi was on a team that did not have a contract requiring this. Also watching Kimi smoothly move him into the grass as TGF did to Kimi at Magny-Cours last year, without wrecking either car.

(5) Imagining Jacques' smirk as he held Bunsen up in the pits by choosing to come in at the wrong time and screw up Bunsen's pit stop even if it meant he dropped down the order -- and imagining him pretending that it was an accident. ("Radio Trouble", my )

SEEING A PODIUM WITH NO FERRARI DRIVERS ON IT AND A POST-RACE PRESS CONFERENCE WITHOUT ANY FERRARI DRIVERS IN IT!
Old 9 Mar 2003, 13:29 (Ref:530019)   #9
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by RubberD
It goes to show that the best car is not enogh when the driver has to do the job
No, just about calling the shots. They shouldve started on slicks. Being the best driver out there doesn't count for much when youre on the wrong tires. But thats water under the bridge. Usually they (Ross) gets it right.

But I take it you find yourself very funny...
Old 9 Mar 2003, 13:44 (Ref:530034)   #10
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
A wet race is always exciting.
Old 9 Mar 2003, 15:05 (Ref:530103)   #11
Tom Fuller
Racer

Northern Ireland
Essex, UK
Tom Fuller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought one of the key factors was from the Qualifying where you only get 1 lap and if you mess it up, then tough, and that you had to keep the same fuel from Qualifying into the race.
Old 9 Mar 2003, 15:08 (Ref:530108)   #12
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
That was all pretty much nullified though by the wet start and the safety car periods.
Old 9 Mar 2003, 15:14 (Ref:530119)   #13
Radisichrox
Veteran

United States
New York
Radisichrox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
(1) The growing dismay among the Speed Channel announcers when they realised that no miracle was going to happen and destroy the first three cars so the fourth place car they kept the camera glued on was going to finish FOURTH!
Yeah, Rick DeBruhl was starting to annoy me with his complete lack of knowledge about Formula 1 as well as his clumsiness when it comes to identifying and talking about the cars on the track.

Bring back Bob Varsha or Mike Joy!
Old 9 Mar 2003, 15:15 (Ref:530123)   #14
Miss Hardt
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
Miss Hardt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
watching Kimi smoothly move him into the grass as TGF did to Kimi at Magny-Cours last year, without wrecking either car.[/B]
I knew he'll pay for that one day!
Old 9 Mar 2003, 15:31 (Ref:530149)   #15
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the key factor over the coming year will be lack of track time contributing to the action - not so noticeable here, but I think it will be a major part of the season...

Tyres - another sneaky rule I didn't notice - teams must nominate ONE wet tyre they will want to use - that's going to make wet races SO much more exciting!!

I think once the teams begin to explore the new rules - the one lap qualifying, cars in parc ferme - they'll begin to have a much bigger impact on the action than we've even seen this morning...
Old 9 Mar 2003, 15:48 (Ref:530171)   #16
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The weather was the main factor. Maybe the new rules allowed more mistkes to be made adding to the weather.
Old 9 Mar 2003, 15:51 (Ref:530177)   #17
allen_overy
Racer

allen_overy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
exciting because:

-1 lap qualifying: top cars (Mclaren this time) has to fight back from behind and this ensues suspense, uncertainty.

-no change to car after qualifying: real unpredictability to qualifying and race with various fuel loads, strategy.
(Kimi: 15th-->-->leading; DC: 11-->-->1st)

-(too) many safety car equlises the field
Old 9 Mar 2003, 15:52 (Ref:530179)   #18
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by NiceGuyEddie
No, just about calling the shots. They shouldve started on slicks. Being the best driver out there doesn't count for much when youre on the wrong tires. But thats water under the bridge. Usually they (Ross) gets it right.

So how come that Michael is so highly applauded for making the right decision with tyre choice etc when others don´t, but when i makes the wrong choice and another driver makes the right choice, they are not applauded, simple put down to anyone makes mistakes?
Old 9 Mar 2003, 15:57 (Ref:530186)   #19
pole2pole
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Belfast
pole2pole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why was it exciting? Well we seen a race today we didnt see two red cars drive off into the sunset we seen some great passing and great defending of positions and even with twenty laps to go you still didnt know who was going to take the win
Old 9 Mar 2003, 15:58 (Ref:530188)   #20
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
So it´s fair to say that the FIA´s rules have worked! That was definatly the most exciting Australian for quite a while.
Old 9 Mar 2003, 16:02 (Ref:530196)   #21
allen_overy
Racer

allen_overy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just that we do no see two red cars sweeping the front does not mean the rac is exciting. I don't think that is a factor at all. If MS and Kimi/JPM are in the two Ferraris respectively, and RACING, i will not mind.
Old 9 Mar 2003, 16:11 (Ref:530208)   #22
GXH
Racer

GXH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why..... because of the weather.
Wet track drying always makes a good race
Old 9 Mar 2003, 16:26 (Ref:530237)   #23
RubberD
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by GXH
Why..... because of the weather.
Wet track drying always makes a good race
It was not only that. The race was as exciting towards the end when the track was completely dry.

I think the parc ferme rule hurts Ferrari and Schumi. They cannot use all their money to put 100 engineers to make Schumi's car perfect for the race. It is also the same for everyone else but the effect is lesser because no other driver gets the same kind of treatment as Schumi.

Looking forward for a diluge in Sepang. Bring it on baby
Old 9 Mar 2003, 17:55 (Ref:530353)   #24
429CJ
Veteran

Finland
Otaku World
429CJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Let's wait until the Barcelona race, traditionally the most boring GP of the season.

-Jamie Hyneman
Old 10 Mar 2003, 03:50 (Ref:530899)   #25
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nothing to do with the friken fia.It was the weather and (allmost)everyones incompetance!Great to see!!