Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 17 Mar 2020, 02:53 (Ref:3964762)   #76
MissClarrpz
Racer

MissClarrpz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlamakiRX View Post
The event is also listed as a Belgian Championship event
I saw that on rallycross.com with the only other thing I can find about Belgian rallycross is a news website. They released an article a day before their first round which said (once Google translated so take with a pinch of salt) the calendar was up in the air apart from round 1 and 3. 2 of the foreign rounds (Lydden and Valkensberg) might not happen, Spa and Mettet are no go and Duivelsberg might close before they head back there.

No idea how this championship is still around as they keep limping through each season with the only usable Belgian Rx track subject to closure

Said article: https://www.autosport.be/news/duivelsberg-ontwaakt-en-opent-rallycrossseizoen-2020.html
Old 17 Mar 2020, 13:35 (Ref:3964903)   #77
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Given that the BTCC has knocked the first 3 events on the head it's only a matter of time before rallycross does the same surely? Push things back until later in the year and hopefully things will be returning to some form of normality by then (although who'll have budgets for racing by then is open to question).

And there we go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorsport UK
It is with regret that Motorsport UK is suspending all organising permits and Certificates of Exemption until at least 30th April 2020. This suspension follows the latest guidance issued by HM UK Government in response to the outbreak of COVID-19. This position will be constantly reviewed given prevailing information.

As the National Governing Body, we would ask all Motorsport UK members to act responsibly and follow the Government’s guidance during this difficult time.

Last edited by BertMk2; 17 Mar 2020 at 14:22. Reason: The news arrived.
Old 17 Mar 2020, 16:46 (Ref:3964975)   #78
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Press release concerning the opening round at Lydden...

https://www.rallycrossbrx.com/news/s...rning-covid-19

...plan is for Lydden to slot the round in at the end of the year (7th/8th November).
Old 29 May 2020, 11:58 (Ref:3979135)   #79
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Revised 2020 BRX announced:

https://www.rallycrossbrx.com/news/r...s-championship

RD 1 - August 30th/31st – Lydden, England
RD 2 - September 26th/27th – Knockhill, Scotland
RD 3 – October 17th/18th – Pembrey, Wales
RD 4 – November 14th/15th - Mondello Park, Ireland
Old 29 May 2020, 13:28 (Ref:3979157)   #80
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Interesting to see that currently they seem to be working on the theory that they'll have spectators at the events.
Old 29 May 2020, 22:13 (Ref:3979248)   #81
MissClarrpz
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Interesting to see that currently they seem to be working on the theory that they'll have spectators at the events.
Yeah. Hopefully the events can take place either way.

Also with Pembrey staying the same date it means they keep the clash with BTRDA so expect an even more reduced support field there.
Old 8 Jul 2020, 08:04 (Ref:3986660)   #82
MissClarrpz
Racer

A fairly large entry could be at all the rounds this year. So far I've counted 40 cars with nearly 2 months until Lydden. Plus not many mentions of returning Swifts, rx150, or retros so a fair few could be on the horizon.

10 supercars at the moment is okay, certainly better than the last few years. Of those 40 many were confirmed pre-lockdown so I wouldn't be surprised if some don't make it to the grid. But if the other classes grow by a similar amount as Supercar and Mini have, then it should be a big entry.
Old 8 Jul 2020, 13:18 (Ref:3986733)   #83
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissClarrpz View Post
A fairly large entry could be at all the rounds this year. So far I've counted 40 cars with nearly 2 months until Lydden. Plus not many mentions of returning Swifts, rx150, or retros so a fair few could be on the horizon.

10 supercars at the moment is okay, certainly better than the last few years. Of those 40 many were confirmed pre-lockdown so I wouldn't be surprised if some don't make it to the grid. But if the other classes grow by a similar amount as Supercar and Mini have, then it should be a big entry.
I think at this stage it's anyone's guess as to how many entries there will be! Lots of people will have changed plans since the original announcements - it's not until we see an entry list that we'll get a decent picture of the state of things (for both the British and BTRDA championships).

Although given how poor the RX150 grid has been over the last couple of years that could well be dead.
Old 9 Jul 2020, 06:24 (Ref:3986900)   #84
MissClarrpz
Racer

Quote:
it's not until we see an entry list that we'll get a decent picture of the state of things (for both the British and BTRDA championships).
Can't agree more. BTRDA up to 42 entries for Rd1/2 though so it is promising.
Quote:
Although given how poor the RX150 grid has been over the last couple of years that could well be dead.
Yeah. Plus Chrissy Palmer is out this year and he's been the only one to make every round in each of the last 2 seasons.
Old 9 Aug 2020, 14:42 (Ref:3994133)   #85
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Hickey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone in the know about Lydden? I can't see how they are going to be allowed to permit spectators
Old 10 Aug 2020, 08:43 (Ref:3994387)   #86
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickey View Post
Anyone in the know about Lydden? I can't see how they are going to be allowed to permit spectators
I'd have thought they'd be allowed spectators - it's not "an elite sport" so should be ok (British GT can have spectators, BTCC can't). Not sure if they'd have to limit numbers (presumably advance ticket sales only).

I'm not sure whether to go or not - on the one hand: rallycross, on the other - it's usually the busiest Lydden meeting of the year and let's face it cleaning is not Lydden's strongpoint and social distancing may be tricky in places (although you could always spend the day sat in your car - assuming it's not 30C!). Other circuits are also restricting paddock access - and that's not so easy at Lydden. I guess we'll have to wait for a definitive answer from the circuit themselves (again - not always their strongpoint).
Old 16 Aug 2020, 14:06 (Ref:3995734)   #87
MissClarrpz
Racer

Pat expecting 12 Supercars and an 80 car entry for Lydden. Currently spectators are allowed but not in the paddock, they're making an access path around it.

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/canterbury/news/it-was-lost-at-silverstone-world-rallycross-belongs-in-kent-232234/?fbclid=IwAR1JlYM-77IGZEvuGm-1bdSpMkVvo1U4Jszsvqppikbw4VA0qsAvpEtFrC4

Interesting to read their plan to upgrade the circuit. New entrance road (from the South) next year and new building the year after, then WRX can return.
Old 17 Aug 2020, 12:35 (Ref:3995961)   #88
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
With France being added to the quarantine list, does this scupper people from Belgium (assuming they were going to come from Calais not Zeebrugge)?

I'm really excited to see some live racing. Haven't been to Lydden in a little while. I'm happy to abide by whatever safety measures they put in place to ensure we can watch racing safely!
Old 17 Aug 2020, 12:43 (Ref:3995965)   #89
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Should have read the article. I see that they are expecting overseas competitors to struggle to make it. Shame.
Old 31 Aug 2020, 21:06 (Ref:3999309)   #90
hoffman66
Racer

hoffman66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting day at Lydden.

Firstly great to see Arthur watching, legend that he is. Looked in good health.

Decent entries, and some nice new cars, the Polish lads V8 M3 is superb and surely the Supernat of the future if possible, great car. Some great close racing in the lower classes. though the Minis look a bit underprepared with bits falling off and bouncing about. but I guess that keeps them cheap, cant argue with the grids. Swifts leave me cold sorry.

Supercar entry was superb, Sellars' car a picture. And a lot of guys on it.

Bennett was unlucky, to do all that work and then be asked to withdraw over fuel when it was known about all weekend, you have to believe he was furious to risk a car all that time. I can expect you guess who protested him, the same bloke wandering over to race control before the semis dummy grid I expect. Mr sore loser as usual.

Hoy was excellent, car was misbehaving, but he was well and truly on the pace of the field, maybe not the top 4 or 5.

But Donnelly, well superb, amazing car control, and maybe he drove overly defensive in the final to stay in front of Godfrey, but he was great to watch, and nice to see Steve Hill having a good run. Thomas too on it all day.

Splitting up retro's is great.

Only moans, not much emphasis on social distancing though most did it anyway, maybe 40% wearing masks.

And I do think grids could be better if series were merged, I known capacity is tough, but some of the grids could easily be 10 cars plus each class with a merger.

But just great to be back watching half decent rallycross.
Old 1 Sep 2020, 16:37 (Ref:3999481)   #91
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Well after six months without any motorsport to watch I'd have probably have enjoyed it irrespective of the quality of the racing, but I thought it was a decent start to the Championship, especially given the circumstances.

Donnelly was great in the C4 at Titans and I was hoping he'd do well in the DS3: I wasn't disappointed. The fight for first in the Supercar final was superb. I actually thought Godfrey had the legs on Mark, was very surprised when he took the joker behind him.

Speaking of Julian, he really turned his fortunes around. Was odd to see him struggling in the opening qualification races, but he had everything sorted in time for the semis and final.

I thought the situation with Bennett was a bit strange. I initially thought it was his/his teams fault for not reading the rules properly, but then I read comments suggesting that he had informed the organisers before the weekend and it only became an issue later in the event? On the subject of his exclusion, I'd love to know the difference between fuel types. Yeah, I know his Mini runs a Pipo engine and Oliver has no doubt improved during his time in World RX, but his lap times were absolutely destroying those from the rest of the field...

...despite the absence of Bennett I still thought the grid for the Supercar final was the best quality it has been for some time. Eight well prepared cars, all capable of winning the final* (* in the right hands!). Unlucky for Thomas, but great to see Steve Hill having a trouble free day.

I was pleasantly surprised at how well behaved the crowd were being. I certainly didn't see everywhere, but from what I saw people seemed to be distancing themselves at the trackside, in queues and when moving around. Perhaps I got lucky with what I saw, but I was expecting to see all discipline go out the window once people got into the circuit.
Old 9 Sep 2020, 08:42 (Ref:4001075)   #92
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Forgive the double post, but a few pictures from Lydden...

...few more here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/229616...57715903682172

If anyone is interested.
Old 9 Sep 2020, 08:55 (Ref:4001079)   #93
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Nice

I didn't get to Lydden in the end so it's good to see some photos - Woloch's BMW looks very smart doesn't it? Good to see something a bit different in supernational too.
Old 9 Sep 2020, 09:14 (Ref:4001084)   #94
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
I didn't get to Lydden in the end so it's good to see some photos - Woloch's BMW looks very smart doesn't it? Good to see something a bit different in supernational too.
It looked great and sounded superb as well. I thought it was quite funny to see Woloch and Bellerby together on track: the M3 looked double the size of the Exige!

You may have already seen it, but the Supercar final is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HWl...ture=emb_title
Old 12 Sep 2020, 16:47 (Ref:4001885)   #95
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
BMW Always nice to see saloons in SN.
Old 13 Sep 2020, 13:54 (Ref:4002148)   #96
HoleInTheHedge
Rookie

European Union
HoleInTheHedge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
I thought the situation with Bennett was a bit strange. I initially thought it was his/his teams fault for not reading the rules properly, but then I read comments suggesting that he had informed the organisers before the weekend and it only became an issue later in the event? On the subject of his exclusion, I'd love to know the difference between fuel types. Yeah, I know his Mini runs a Pipo engine and Oliver has no doubt improved during his time in World RX, but his lap times were absolutely destroying those from the rest of the field...
There’s a difference in the octane levels between the fuels, it wouldn’t make a difference on track but each engine has to be programmed to a specific fuel do manage the difference...
Bennett was flying full stop!! If he was running red diesel that mini is still faster than anything else in the championship!!
I’d imagine the problem was that there’s a control fuel and they’ve probably paid the organiser’s for that privilege? And they might of gotten the hump??
Something similar to rocking up with a full set of Pirelli or Michelin when Cooper is the control supplier
Just my thoughts
Old 15 Sep 2020, 11:44 (Ref:4002579)   #97
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoleInTheHedge View Post
There’s a difference in the octane levels between the fuels, it wouldn’t make a difference on track but each engine has to be programmed to a specific fuel do manage the difference...
Yeah, I thought there was a bit of a contradiction in what was said (by Bennett); he said that the fuel was the same, but that his car couldn't run it. I assumed that if his car couldn't run it, it was because the octane rating was different, in which case the fuel wasn't the same...

...semantics really as, like you say, he was very rapid.

I hope Bennett runs one of the World (or Euro) rounds this year. Given his speed at Lydden I'd like to see how his latest specification Mini compares to the rest of the field.
Old 15 Sep 2020, 12:35 (Ref:4002592)   #98
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
Yeah, I thought there was a bit of a contradiction in what was said (by Bennett); he said that the fuel was the same, but that his car couldn't run it. I assumed that if his car couldn't run it, it was because the octane rating was different, in which case the fuel wasn't the same...

...semantics really as, like you say, he was very rapid.

I hope Bennett runs one of the World (or Euro) rounds this year. Given his speed at Lydden I'd like to see how his latest specification Mini compares to the rest of the field.
Depends if he's updated his driving ability to a better specification, or if he's still running the spec that clips the inside of every tyre wall going...
Old 15 Sep 2020, 13:06 (Ref:4002594)   #99
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickey View Post
Depends if he's updated his driving ability to a better specification, or if he's still running the spec that clips the inside of every tyre wall going...

Well I was impressed at Lydden. He managed to do four qualifying sessions and didn't crash (or catch fire) once.
Old 15 Sep 2020, 21:30 (Ref:4002699)   #100
hoffman66
Racer

hoffman66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The issue is simple.

He was running the fuel used in WRX, that is different, and he seemed to say it was actually no better or worse than what is run in BRX.

One driver, who if you know much about BRX in recent years it would be obvious who, *****ed and moaned, walked down to the office before the semi with a clipboard and rules probably, and that was it. Bennett was done.

Yes Bennett was quick, but that car is far more developed to a much higher level than anything in the UK, he is at the top of his game after a few years driving against the best in the business, where he can compete for the top 15 at times. Competing against a bunch of rich, old men who drive for a hobby.

The bloke that won was young, on it and clearly faster than everyone else with the possible exception of Godfrey who has been clearly the best in Britain for about a decade consistently.

If Bennett wanted he could rightly throw back that this should have been picked up at scrutineering, he then risked probably 300 grands worth of car for nothing, and also committed to bringing another driver to race something he has done a few times, sadly that car went up big style.

He might changed his mind but the fact he stated he would never do BRX again is sad and should be taken fairly seriously.