Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 29 May 2020, 06:57 (Ref:3979062)   #76
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I do hope something is done to save the F1 team. I'd hate for loads of people to be out of a job.
Old 29 May 2020, 07:13 (Ref:3979071)   #77
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I made the point that Renault was at risk earlier in the thread. I'm firmly of the opinion that they are not the only manufacturer assessing its options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Renault are a long standing racing organisation similar in that respect to Porsche, but their current situation married to the economic impact of COVID19 may lead to a withdrawal on business grounds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
Renault cutting 15,000 jobs including almost 5,000 in France - this will be the end for the F1 team IMO. You cannot take 5bn bailout from the government and cut 5,000 jobs in France and continue to run an F1 team.
Quote:
There may not be any Renault to return to, the French finance minister has admitted Renault may "disappear" as a result of the corona crisis.

It was reported last week that the government, which owns a 15 percent stake in the French carmaker, will step in with a EUR 5 billion loan to rescue the embattled marque.

But minister Bruno Le Maire has told Europe 1 radio that the loan will not be granted until "we know what Renault's strategy is".

He admitted that Renault is in "serious financial difficulty", confirming: "Yes, Renault may disappear."

Renault has organised a press conference for Wednesday 27 May, and there are fears and rumours that a severe restructuring plan could involve the axing of the F1 program.

https://www.grandprix.com/news/minis...disappear.html
Quote:
News today that Nissan will close their factory and move production to Sunderland in the UK which will include some Renault models that share the same platforms.
Old 29 May 2020, 11:37 (Ref:3979127)   #78
Kempi
Veteran

Germany
Düsseldorf, Germany
Kempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Autosport now reporting that Williams is considering a (partial or full) team sale. Just who should buy it in teams such as these. There is only so many racing driver dads out there...

We will be looking at a very different F1, motorsports scene in a year's time.
Old 29 May 2020, 11:45 (Ref:3979132)   #79
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Although Renault confirm that they are staying.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/renaul...-remain-in-f1/
Old 29 May 2020, 12:25 (Ref:3979142)   #80
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
That’s good to hear. Let’s hope they can and will stick with it. Just because they say it now, doesn’t mean they will. I still remember Toyota’s sudden departure at the end of 2009 after insisting they would stay.
Old 29 May 2020, 12:38 (Ref:3979146)   #81
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

What income do they get from F1? As long as they can operate for less than that (or close) then it make sense. Is that feasible for them?

Of course that doesn’t mean there won’t be a perception of closing factories and frivolously racing.
Old 29 May 2020, 15:53 (Ref:3979196)   #82
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:

Confirms they 'intend' to stay in F1, this is not quite the same, they have yet to deal with the unions who will surely demand how Renault can fund an F1 team whilst cutting jobs in France. The history is there, when Renault has been in F1 in the past as a works team and has started job cutting in France, the unions force them out of F1.

Their business strategy also needs to be signed off by the French finance minister as a condition of the bailout loan.
Old 29 May 2020, 15:56 (Ref:3979199)   #83
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Yes, point taken, although I was somewhat sceptical when I posted.
Old 30 May 2020, 03:34 (Ref:3979257)   #84
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The self-entitled Hulkenberg will only return to F1 if he has a competitive car:
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14...hat-excites-me

A big list of those who might drive for Renault: https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14...-at-renault-f1
Old 30 May 2020, 08:31 (Ref:3979274)   #85
S griffin
Veteran

Hulkenberg will probably be watching with a close eye this season to see which car is competitive

Alonso we have of course talked about in this thread. Would be a logical move for Renault at this time

As would Vettel. The question is whether he would want to go there

Zhou and Lungaard might be good if they are looking to the future, as long as they still keep experience in the team, whether that's Ocon or any or the above
Old 30 May 2020, 08:49 (Ref:3979276)   #86
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I seriously doubt that we will see Hulkenberg back.Not because of any lack of talent but because there may be young guns bearing sacks of cash looking for a seat.Given the state of the Renault group that may be an irresistible attraction.Alonso in a car that can't run with the Mercedes and Ferrari is something I just don't see working-even if it says KIMOA in very big letters on each sidepod.
Old 30 May 2020, 10:44 (Ref:3979288)   #87
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
As would Vettel. The question is whether he would want to go there
He may well be too self-entitled.
Old 3 Jul 2020, 13:45 (Ref:3985306)   #88
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Alonso laughs off speculation he is poised to replace Daniel Ricciardo at Renault.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/15...cement-rumours
Old 3 Jul 2020, 14:25 (Ref:3985314)   #89
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Alonso laughs off speculation he is poised to replace Daniel Ricciardo at Renault.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/15...cement-rumours
To be clear, this is about rumours he would be replacing Ricciardo during the 2020 season (which I didn't even know was a "thing"). But does nothing to stop speculation for 2021 after Ricciardo has left.

Richard
Old 3 Jul 2020, 15:22 (Ref:3985328)   #90
S griffin
Veteran

Ocon has said he has no problem having Alonso alongside him for 2021. So that hopefully that mix of youth and experience in the lineup, and hopefully the car can be improved with Fred’s input
Old 3 Jul 2020, 16:41 (Ref:3985343)   #91
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Perhaps when the cars start actually racing again, pointless speculation will cease, but i think not
Old 3 Jul 2020, 16:50 (Ref:3985347)   #92
S griffin
Veteran

Well there is a thing called the Silly Season, which let’s face has always been here.
Old 7 Jul 2020, 14:29 (Ref:3986507)   #93
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Well the BBC has just announced it is happening

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/53325412
Old 7 Jul 2020, 15:04 (Ref:3986527)   #94
S griffin
Veteran

Watch this space. I really hope it happens
Old 7 Jul 2020, 15:10 (Ref:3986533)   #95
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
for me i dont know. after seeing the pace of the Renault's i dont think i really have much interest in seeing Alonso suffering (complaining) his way around the track for another season.

that said, i am deeply conflicted about Alonso both as a driver and a personality.
Old 7 Jul 2020, 15:11 (Ref:3986536)   #96
S griffin
Veteran

If anything he can help develop the car
Old 7 Jul 2020, 15:13 (Ref:3986538)   #97
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Well let us hope the renault improves as it really needs to.
Old 7 Jul 2020, 15:14 (Ref:3986540)   #98
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
If anything he can help develop the car
well in fairness, him leaving Mclaren helped develop that car tremendously!

seriosuly though, with the chassis being carried over to 2021 (and possibly to 2022 depending on how things unfurl) plus the new token system allowing for updates next year is there much room for driver led development?
Old 7 Jul 2020, 15:18 (Ref:3986541)   #99
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
Well let us hope the renault improves as it really needs to.
The engine/PU is doing well in McLaren's hands, which I think suggests the problem is with the Renault chassis.
Old 7 Jul 2020, 15:24 (Ref:3986548)   #100
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
The engine/PU is doing well in McLaren's hands, which I think suggests the problem is with the Renault chassis.
Strange that the renault engine always does better in a non renault badged car.