Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 7 Apr 2008, 13:35 (Ref:2172325)   #1
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The Mitty-ROAD ATL, May 2-4, 2008

alot folk on this forum are Euros (or Brits), but this is one of the fastest growing historic events on the east coast of the US. may one day be as big as the Monterey historics...maybe

http://www.hsrrace.com/HSR/HSRHome.n...C?OpenDocument

featured make this year is Ford, specifically the 1970s Shelby era. that should be good along with the 25 or so 1970s Formula One cars . not sure i'd like to drive those around Road ATL or not, but will be a good show for sure. i guess the "norm" of cars will be there as well; Champ of Makes sportscars, stockcars and other saloons, sportsracers, OWers etc.

i hope to be able to afford this come the first of May. maybe use some B-day money as this event is so nicely schedules around my birthday.

Last edited by fieldodreams79; 7 Apr 2008 at 13:38.
Old 7 Apr 2008, 15:07 (Ref:2172389)   #2
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
We want to know/hear about historic racing events from all over the world, so bring 'em on! Hope you make it ffdms79, in which case, a report would be good!
Old 8 Apr 2008, 01:41 (Ref:2172830)   #3
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i'll do what i can...thanks, JT.

another 10-tenthser may be able to provide some pics as he has a phenomenal camera and a good eye or 2.
Old 8 Apr 2008, 14:32 (Ref:2173199)   #4
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
just noticed that there are also historic Moto GP scheduled...might be a Mitty first, but no info on what vintage. i'm guessing they are sticking to the 1970s theme, but F1 and Moto GP historics on the same weekend
Old 29 Apr 2008, 19:33 (Ref:2190470)   #5
TRuss
Veteran

TRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't wait. My Dad and I have been for the last seven or eight years, and I've never seen motorcyles race. That must be a new event. Sounds fun though.
Old 30 Apr 2008, 02:25 (Ref:2190722)   #6
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
hope you and pops have fun! my dad took me there YEARS ago and have just recently rediscovered it. maybe it won't rain.
Old 30 Apr 2008, 18:57 (Ref:2191312)   #7
TRuss
Veteran

TRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sure we will. As for the rain...well it seems to like the weekends as much as the rest of us.
Old 2 May 2008, 00:54 (Ref:2192256)   #8
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
yep...
they have forcasted another saturday of rain...6th saturday in a row around here (and a 60% chance of a t-storm to boot) but tomorrow and sunday are supposed to be magnificant.

slight change from the original F1 car entries...there is supposed to be over 30 3 litre F1 cars dating from 1966 to 1983. Bob Varsha will be on hand to call the race at the track.

http://www.historicgrandprix.com/cars.htm

should be good
Old 5 May 2008, 16:32 (Ref:2194491)   #9
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
well....

it did rain on saturday, enough to make saloon car enduro interesting and enough to stop the F1 cars short of their qualifying but sunday had fantastic weather.

there were only 10 F1 cars, instead of the 30 advertised; 2 of the 10, including a Sir Jackie Tyrrell, broke at some point during the weekend and never made it to the grid on sunday. however, the ones that showed were excellent and were running somewhere in the 1:20s; pretty dang quick for 25+ year old cars!

the moto gp bikes had a disappointing turn out as well, with senior citizens riding them. however, it was good to see both riders and bikes out there, putting on an exihibition.

the other were the usual suspects at the mitty with the highlight of the weekend being the one hour enduro for the World Champ of Makes cars and GTP cars. the winner being a Judd powered Riley & Scott Mk II?, who was lapping around 1:15. three Audi R8s were there; Champion and two of the Joest Audis, dating around 2000-2004, i think. unfortunately, one of them lost it a turn 6 and recieved some rear end damage to the car...nothing "major".

the 1996 12 hour of sebring winner, Olds powered R&S MkIII broke at turn 6 as well, resulting in what the driver said would be a $50K engine rebuild. nfortunately, an expensive weekend for him, but provided us and other fans the opportunity to talk with the driver about the car while he waited hours for a tow.

other cars in that enduro including some mazda and chevy powered Spices, Lola B2Ks, two or three other R&S, a Dyson 962 and the Rothman 962. Jim Downing won the award for the loudest car on the weekend, driver some kinda Mazda powered Prototype; Lola maybe.

BOSS series saw some older ChampCars and IRL cars. other than that, lots of 914s, bathtubs, 911s to include some old Alex Job ALMS cars, some 'vettes, stangs and lots of other beautiful cars and some stockcars. enjoyed it and plan on going again next year. wonderful crowd and weather. can't ask for much else at the race track, besides cool cars.

JHamilton and monaro_gto will be able to provide some pics once they are compiled.
Old 6 May 2008, 16:05 (Ref:2195323)   #10
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes, another fantastic Mitty! I hope to have my pictures up later this week, but am having some computer issues at home that I have to work through first.

A couple of corrections Field:
- The R&S that won was a Mk. III
- I believe the R&S that broke in T6 is a Mk. II
- I believe the car Jim Downing was driving was one of his own Kudzus with a 4-rotor Mazda.

I have to cross reference pics to make sure, but I'm pretty confident now.
Old 6 May 2008, 23:49 (Ref:2195620)   #11
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
thanks JH! i did have a few cold beverages, but the sebring website winning cars list has the 1996 12 hour winner as a Mk3.
http://www.sebringraceway.com/history_cardata.lasso
either way, it was a badass R&S, which we both dig!
and i dig the Mazda Kudzu as well!

and if anyone knows the guy who lives in the New England with an LMP Panoz, see if you can convince him to come south to next year's Mitty and bring our baby home.

Last edited by fieldodreams79; 6 May 2008 at 23:53.
Old 7 May 2008, 07:34 (Ref:2195753)   #12
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Thanks for report Fdms79; any of those pics ready, yet, guys?
Old 7 May 2008, 13:21 (Ref:2196045)   #13
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
Thanks for report Fdms79; any of those pics ready, yet, guys?
Sorry John! I'm afraid I've had a catostrophic failure of my home pc... stupid HP. I'll let monaro know this thread is here, maybe he can post some up shortly.
Old 7 May 2008, 13:39 (Ref:2196057)   #14
monaro_gto
Rookie

United States
Atlanta, GA, USA
monaro_gto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
thanks for the link, didnt know this one was here. I will try and get a few teasers up shortly and try and finish my album tonight. jhamilton, I can take a look at your PC if you wish.
Old 7 May 2008, 14:11 (Ref:2196079)   #15
monaro_gto
Rookie

United States
Atlanta, GA, USA
monaro_gto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pretty busy at work, so this is the best I can do for now.
Clean car

In action

Old 7 May 2008, 16:24 (Ref:2196186)   #16
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
Nice shots John. I love the first one... shame about the coolers.

I found this on Mulsanne Mike's page about the Robinson R&S
http://www.mulsannescorner.com/mkiiic-6.html
Old 8 May 2008, 00:10 (Ref:2196500)   #17
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
cool pics and nice link on the R&S...one funny thing about the R&S pic (white/yellow/blue livery) was the comment made by the driver (shortly after pic was taken) when someone asked, "do you get this car up to 200 mph on the backstretch?"

"no...it's around 196."

Old 8 May 2008, 08:13 (Ref:2196659)   #18
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Just as a matter of interest filedodreams and not that I am going to but in my garage waiting for me to drum up some enthusiasim to get back on it sits my 77 Penske IROC space frame Camaro race car #11 built and based on stock car rules of the period. Would something like be elligible for an event like this as one of the problems I have with the car is if I spend good money on it renovating it then it will have no place to race as it does'nt really over here so is purely a musuem piece like its sister car sitting in the Talladaga Museum of Speed.
Old 8 May 2008, 15:26 (Ref:2196957)   #19
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
Just as a matter of interest filedodreams and not that I am going to but in my garage waiting for me to drum up some enthusiasim to get back on it sits my 77 Penske IROC space frame Camaro race car #11 built and based on stock car rules of the period. Would something like be elligible for an event like this as one of the problems I have with the car is if I spend good money on it renovating it then it will have no place to race as it does'nt really over here so is purely a musuem piece like its sister car sitting in the Talladaga Museum of Speed.
First of all, that's awesome... thanks for bringing it back. Secondly, yes it will be eligible to race. Probably not against the more modern stock cars (90's - 00's), but definitely in several GT races. You'd get to race several times during the weekend. As a matter of fact, an early '70's Camaro wiped out the field in one of the latter GT races.

You agree with that Field?
Old 8 May 2008, 15:33 (Ref:2196962)   #20
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
HSR rules:
http://www.hsrrace.com/HSR/HSRHome.n...df?OpenElement

SVRA rules:
http://svra.com/SVRA/SVRAHome.nsf/at...df?OpenElement

the historical signifance should allow it to race in both series, barring any major changes. last fall's SVRA race at Road ATL had a early/mid 70s IROC 911 orginally driven by Bobby Allison. i would check with a "rules" person with one of these series before you dive in.

while researching a bit, i noticed on another thread(s) that you are trying to get it to Goodwood. those who are interested:
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58110
http://tentenths.com/forum/show...92#post1927292

with the historical signifiance of your car, i doubt they would turn you away and i would love to see some more "American Iron". especially that one!

GOOD LUCK, Al! let us know what you do and i hope to see it on the track, where it belongs.
Old 8 May 2008, 15:37 (Ref:2196965)   #21
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton
First of all, that's awesome... thanks for bringing it back. Secondly, yes it will be eligible to race. Probably not against the more modern stock cars (90's - 00's), but definitely in several GT races. You'd get to race several times during the weekend. As a matter of fact, an early '70's Camaro wiped out the field in one of the latter GT races.

You agree with that Field?
agreed...to ALL of it. to add, we need a few more Camaros out there.

still ought to check for verification, depending on how many "updates" or changes, just in case.
Old 8 May 2008, 21:54 (Ref:2197206)   #22
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Thanks for the replys guys that sounds really good. I have just got in from the workshop after at last firing my 3rd gen up car after a major engine rebuild incorporating spec change for another championship so maybe I will shortly at last be able to get stuck into it, nice to know it would have somewhere to race somewhere in the world apart from a 'catch all' series which is really all that would be on offer over here which does not recognise the cars historic significance and it would be totally out classed anyhow.
Old 29 May 2008, 14:42 (Ref:2214687)   #23
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
Better late than never? Below is a link to my gallery of the event...

http://www.gagtos.com/jhamilton/2008...show/index.htm

Last edited by JHamilton; 29 May 2008 at 14:45.
Old 30 May 2008, 01:38 (Ref:2215037)   #24
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
shame the F1 qualifying was rained out because those were some good shots of them in 6. the Sir Jackie Tyrell looks just as clean in the pics as in person. great props on the Pinto.

well done JH...great pictures all round, good show.

now, off to the next one!