Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 5 Nov 2015, 12:42 (Ref:3588348)   #1
Danathar
Racer

Danathar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IMSA DPi/P2 vs WEC LMP1-L

Can somebody explain what the performance differences are between DPi/P2 vs LMP1-L?

I understand IMSA DPi is basically P2 without the WEC engine restrictions and some additional body work that WEC P2 has. I heard DPi will be faster than WEC p2? Is that right? How much faster is it if true and how does that compare to LMP1-L?

The classes seem to occupy similar aims in both series
Old 5 Nov 2015, 13:04 (Ref:3588350)   #2
TzeiTzei
Veteran

Finland
TzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
LMP1-L probably has a bit more horsepower. From what I remember both IMSA DPi and ACO LMP2 would have around 600hp. I've let myself believe that the LMP1-L have a bit more. I could be wrong.

If the DPi continue to run with the spec Continentals, then they will probably be slower. I don't know any reason why the DPi would be faster than P2. The styling cues probably won't help the aerodynamics. Once again I could be wrong .

Basically I think that the new P2 will be very close to the LMP1-L. I mean, give the current P2s about 150hp more and they would be worrying the privateer LMP1s.
Old 5 Nov 2015, 14:45 (Ref:3588360)   #3
Danske
Veteran

Danske should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With DPi and P2 competing in the same classes together they theoretically should be (BoPed to) near equal in speed.
Old 5 Nov 2015, 15:01 (Ref:3588362)   #4
Danathar
Racer

Danathar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TzeiTzei View Post
LMP1-L probably has a bit more horsepower. From what I remember both IMSA DPi and ACO LMP2 would have around 600hp. I've let myself believe that the LMP1-L have a bit more. I could be wrong.

If the DPi continue to run with the spec Continentals, then they will probably be slower. I don't know any reason why the DPi would be faster than P2. The styling cues probably won't help the aerodynamics. Once again I could be wrong .

Basically I think that the new P2 will be very close to the LMP1-L. I mean, give the current P2s about 150hp more and they would be worrying the privateer LMP1s.
Makes one wonder why IMSA didn't go with LMP1-L as the basis w/mods for their DPi class instead of P2.
Old 5 Nov 2015, 15:10 (Ref:3588364)   #5
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Damian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
LMP-L cars used prototype engines, while DPi used comercial blocks. Tyres (rims) are different between P1 and P2.

I think IMSA made a good choice taking in mind the cost/benefit relation.
Old 5 Nov 2015, 16:07 (Ref:3588371)   #6
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I love how it still gets called LMP1-L here and by media alike even though it's long been redubbed, and also the therm 'lightweight prototypes" is hilarious considering there's only 20kg difference to hybrids now after the weight increase.

But the main difference to DPi, other than the obvious spec parts and spec tires and all that making it more counter productive to go faster , is that DPis will get bopped constantly among themselves, via committee and via wind tunnel testing. Everything is heavily controlled and standardized, you cannot develop a car on your own. Oh you got modded Dr diffuser, oh well let get that bopped right away in the tunnel! So you cannot gain performance by having wiser engineers than the other party. The las time LMP1 Privateers got inter class bop was probably five years ago or something. It is the last haven for non factories still looking for innovation in as sportscar racing.

Too bad ACO is shooting itself into foot year after year by cornering the hybridlesss into just one series, with zero customer car market opportunities, and with specs that could be so much more

Last edited by Deleted; 5 Nov 2015 at 16:14.
Old 5 Nov 2015, 17:48 (Ref:3588389)   #7
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
The key thing to keep in mind is that the ACO/WEC and IMSA have very different commercial goals.

The ACO/WEC have decided that they like manufacturer involvement in LMP-1H (and GTE)… but not in LMP2. They also have decided that LMP2 needs to be a really cost capped class, with a limited number of chassis constructors and a spec engine. In the WEC, ELMS, and AsLMS LMP2 would be mainly funded by gentlemen drivers.

Part of what the ACO and WEC are doing is apparently trying to do is push the more well funded and ambitious teams LMP2 teams into LMP-1L. That applies in particular to team/constructors combos like Dome/Strakka Racing and SMP Racing/ BR Engineering.

The problem with LMP-1L is that the business model sucks. The current LMP-1Ls are just a little faster than LMP-2s — and nowhere near the pace the LMP-1Hs are putting out. There’s seemingly no short-term solution to get them near the Audis, Porsches, and Toyotas. The other part of the problem is that it’s a bit unclear who is suppose to pay for LMP-1Ls, particularly at those performance levels. It’s an all-pro driver series, so gentlemen pay drivers aren’t likely to be a big part of the solution. LMP-1Ls cost more to operate, and teams will have to do a lot of development work, which also isn’t cheap. Media attention will remain scant until the LMP-1Ls get a lot closer to LMP-1H or much more numerous.

LMP2 will be IMSA's top class. Unlike the ACO and WEC, IMSA wants to attract manufacturer money to its LMP2 class. Hence we have the DPi -- take a 2017 spec LMP2 and run it with whatever GT3 engine you want, with the hope that the engine manufacturer will pony up and maybe use a specially branded chassis.

Would it make sense to have the same car with features that go beyond a 2017-spec LMP2 legal in the WEC and as IMSA's top class? Sure. But to get that, you’d probably have to have both series pursuing similar commercial strategies…
Old 5 Nov 2015, 17:55 (Ref:3588393)   #8
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The P1 non hybrid and P2 difference only lacks at the regular races, at LM the gap is rather gigantic in lap times. 2015 Quali Rebellion '26 to top KCMG '38