Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 24 Mar 2019, 22:18 (Ref:3893121)   #1
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
eclectic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ADVICE PLEASE, OLDER SUVs/Tow cars, minimum 2.5 tonne towing capacity.

ADVICE PLEASE, OLDER SUVs/Tow cars, minimum 2.5 tonne towing capacity.

I have a budget of £10k. Two previous Kia Sorentos have been a heap of trouble, my current one 'put a leg out of bed' (translation, threw a rod out of the side of the block) this evening.

It was a 2007 2.5 diesel with 115,000 miles.

From your extensive knowledge folks, what do you recommend?

Last edited by eclectic; 24 Mar 2019 at 22:29.

Steve McQueen.
Old 25 Mar 2019, 02:39 (Ref:3893153)   #2
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Volvo XC90 (2400 to 2700kg depending on specific model)?
If they're anything like my 57-plate V70 they're pretty bullet-proof.
Old 25 Mar 2019, 06:47 (Ref:3893168)   #3
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
I’m not recommending anything, but suggest you read up on Isuzu Trooper (or Vauxhall Monterey equivalent), Shogun or Toyota Land Cruiser. If you want the biggest and probably thirstiest, Toyota Amazon..... I personally love LR Disco 3 but repair costs can be very scary.....
Old 25 Mar 2019, 09:08 (Ref:3893182)   #4
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
If you can find a good Toyota Landcruiser you wont go far wrong but the older ones are thirsty. Colorado has a tow capacity of 2800kg, the Amazon is 3.5 tons
Old 26 Mar 2019, 09:19 (Ref:3893445)   #5
andrewc
Veteran

andrewc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Had a V10 VW Toerag which was fabulous for towing - but suffered from random electric problems. It quickly became un-dependable so went and was replaced with a Range Rover Sport.
Old 26 Mar 2019, 12:05 (Ref:3893467)   #6
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm still using my Grand Cherokee bought new in 2007. Very comfortable, tows up to 3.5te twin braked axle and averages, when towing, around 18 mpg.
Old 26 Mar 2019, 12:29 (Ref:3893477)   #7
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc View Post
Had a V10 VW Toerag which was fabulous for towing - but suffered from random electric problems. It quickly became un-dependable so went and was replaced with a Range Rover Sport.
Good luck with that! The only people I know that have had Range Rover Sports have got rid of them as they were nothing but trouble (expensive trouble).
Old 26 Mar 2019, 13:09 (Ref:3893488)   #8
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
JLR never do very well in reliability surveys, but I had a Disco 3 for 3 years without having to spend a penny on it apart from servicing. Big BUT, though, it was new at the start of my tenure and under warranty if something had gone wrong. I wouldn’t be confident running a 10 year old one with 100k miles on the clock, or a RR Sport of the same era, which shared chassis and running gear. Peter’s Grand Cherokee is a fairly simple vehicle in comparison and I’d be more confident running one of those, even though I’m not a big fan! It is a proper Jeep though, not an FCA offering.....

German offerings such as the Touareg, Cayenne and Merc ML also seem to be prone to trouble as they age, but simple old fashioned stuff like a Land Cruiser much less so..... The Audi Q7 may be worth reading up on, but the smaller Q5 has quite a low towing limit, being based on the Tiguan transverse engine architecture. I may be old fashioned, but I like a North / South engine position and RWD / 4WD based drive train in an SUV!
Old 26 Mar 2019, 14:08 (Ref:3893498)   #9
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
can recommend a mitsubishi shogun, they could tow a brick house. potentially avoid the massive engined ones though, our 01 plate one has spat out pretty much every part of the transmission and gearbox because there's too much torque for it to handle.

cannot recommend a cayenne - my folks bought an older one for peanuts and it's an absolute basket case for electrical glitches, and the auto box is living on another planet. it's relatively low mileage as well.
Old 10 Jun 2019, 12:18 (Ref:3909051)   #10
martinbrown823
Rookie

martinbrown823 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
we are running a Ram 5500 towing truck at roadside assistance nyc, its towing capacity is very good.