Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 20 Jan 2021, 21:47 (Ref:4030343)   #126
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by canaglia View Post
to me GM is the manufacturer in the best position, they could have a bright future with a minimal effort since they don't need to build/design anything from scratch... just like 488 and vantage, they could adapt C8R to gt3 specs or even better, with basically 0 effort, they could send street chassis and LT2 engines to callaway in germany to let them make the whole work (like ferrari does with michelotto). That way they will be in the position to have a work/semiwork effort in IMSA (or LM if ACO will drop GTE soon or later) and the possibility to have a customers program as well.
Cadillac dpi is already a beast of car and unlike audi or porsche, they have already a really competitive base platform to evolve for lmdh with the spec ERS. Just like the C8R, they will have both the possibility to enter with a work team at lemans or give a limited support to private teams as they do during these seasons in IMSA.
It does seem like the most logical path forward would be to just keep the drivetrain from the current car and put it in the new dallara lmp2/lmdh chassis.
Old 21 Jan 2021, 09:05 (Ref:4030395)   #127
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
It does seem like the most logical path forward would be to just keep the drivetrain from the current car and put it in the new dallara lmp2/lmdh chassis.
yes, considering that despite the introduction of a smaller 5.5L, cadillac dpi is still usually the heaviest car and the one with less aero/wing settings options, the potential of the car is stll firmly kept under control by bop.
GM should just update the aero and use the same engine + spec ERS on new lmp2 generation chassis
Old 22 Jan 2021, 20:56 (Ref:4030755)   #128
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Damian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Would be new ERS system setteable? If teams could manage when the system delivers the power, this extra power could helps to fill the gaps on the torque/power curve of the current engines.
Old 23 Jan 2021, 10:12 (Ref:4030799)   #129
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian Baldi View Post
Would be new ERS system setteable? If teams could manage when the system delivers the power, this extra power could helps to fill the gaps on the torque/power curve of the current engines.
hard to tell, but since it will be a mild hybrid system I don't think there will be a lot of torque released from the ERS since power will be capped to about 40hp... I recall 5 or 6 years ago, honda nsx of GT500 was using a similiar mild hybrid ERS and basically didn't get any real performance power up.
At the end is just like spec ECU supplied by cosworth to all lmp2 manufacturers... I don't think that the spec ERS will give a lot of settings freedom to the teams.
Old 26 Jan 2021, 15:45 (Ref:4031302)   #130
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Acura confirm LMDh from 2023

https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/a...gram-for-2023/
Old 26 Jan 2021, 15:47 (Ref:4031304)   #131
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
Not surprising but great to hear, hopefully, this gives GM & Mazda the beans they need to confirm their programs
Old 26 Jan 2021, 16:30 (Ref:4031313)   #132
canaglia
Veteran

I think mazda will be the next to confirm a lmdh program, also because unlike the others, mazda motorsport is actually multimatic, so they don't need to deal with a third party chassis manufacturer for chassis/aero design.
Guess GM will greenlight the lmdh program only if teams like AXR or the newcomer ganassi will stick with them.
Old 26 Jan 2021, 18:54 (Ref:4031332)   #133
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
LMDh (DPi regulations version 2.0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by canaglia View Post
I think mazda will be the next to confirm a lmdh program, also because unlike the others, mazda motorsport is actually multimatic, so they don't need to deal with a third party chassis manufacturer for chassis/aero design.
Guess GM will greenlight the lmdh program only if teams like AXR or the newcomer ganassi will stick with them.

I think Chip Ganassi’s entrance is part of a greater plan from GM..

Just a guess

Wonder if we will see anything from Ford..
Old 26 Jan 2021, 20:01 (Ref:4031355)   #134
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcarr6 View Post

Just a guess

Also just a guess......but I think Ford shot it's wad for a while with the NGT.

jimclark
Old 26 Jan 2021, 20:14 (Ref:4031360)   #135
canaglia
Veteran

I think it's more likely to see ford in FE than sportscars
Old 26 Jan 2021, 20:15 (Ref:4031361)   #136
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcarr6 View Post

Just a guess

The way Ford has been talking, doubtful but changes happen. Hell they're making Mustang a brand now instead of a pony car. And they have the mandate from the family to go all electric soon.
Old 12 Feb 2021, 20:40 (Ref:4034889)   #137
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Mazda won't develop a LMDh car.

https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/m...-year-no-lmdh/
Old 12 Feb 2021, 20:52 (Ref:4034891)   #138
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Sucks but not surprising. Cutting to one car early seemed less like development and more cost savings, and 2020 couldn't have helped.

Only thing I don't get it I see Mazda SUVs everywhere and in huge numbers, maybe it's a higher Atlanta sales figures like Leaf and Tesla sales numbers.
Old 13 Feb 2021, 00:00 (Ref:4034904)   #139
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
I wonder if we should've seen this coming, given that the scaled back to one car this year and Audi Sport and Porsche Motorsport are looking at partnering with Multimatic for LMDH?
Old 13 Feb 2021, 07:03 (Ref:4034920)   #140
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
I guess theres no underdog to root for after this year. Shame because the Mazda really came up from being a laughing 'will it finish' joke to winning regularly and contesting the championships.
Old 13 Feb 2021, 15:28 (Ref:4034959)   #141
canaglia
Veteran

can't say I could be surprised... it usually happens when a manufacturer cuts half budget and is actually directly involved only for stickers supplying...
Old 13 Feb 2021, 16:37 (Ref:4034966)   #142
WyldStallion
Veteran

WyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
The way Ford has been talking, doubtful but changes happen. Hell they're making Mustang a brand now instead of a pony car. And they have the mandate from the family to go all electric soon.
Yeah a Mustang GT3 I think is more likely than an LMDH..personally I am fine with that.
Old 14 Feb 2021, 22:39 (Ref:4035150)   #143
kvenom
Veteran

kvenom should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkvenom should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Is this the end for AER?
Old 15 Feb 2021, 17:19 (Ref:4035281)   #144
Turbodcc
Rookie

Turbodcc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvenom View Post
Is this the end for AER?
Be a real shame if that was the case. They seemed to turn a corner a few years back when they brought in the new management and handful of engineers. Safe to say the Mazda program really progressed since then along with their efforts in WEC
Old 15 Feb 2021, 18:49 (Ref:4035302)   #145
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvenom View Post
Is this the end for AER?
They still have other engine operations and builds. I believe they still build the Indy Lights product, although I doubt that makes much money. I think they also have some other not top of the heap engine builds beyond the old GP3, LMP1/2 engines. Again though probably not a big money maker for Dyson.
Old 4 Mar 2021, 01:21 (Ref:4038486)   #146
Bobby_status
Racer

Bobby_status should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
https://www.motorsport.com/imsa/news...Nko5Wo&nrt=207

This article left me filling a little uneasy about Cadillac in LMDh 2023.
Old 4 Mar 2021, 16:39 (Ref:4038690)   #147
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_status View Post
This article left me filling a little uneasy about Cadillac in LMDh 2023.
Heck, all it took for me was the opening, emboldened, line.....

"General Motors’ new sports car racing program manager Laura Wontrop Klauser says the company is
currently
evaluating the continuation of its Cadillac program into IMSA’s LMDh era."

(Italics are mine...the keywords being of course...."evaluating the continuation". Translation? "See ya.")

Last edited by jimclark; 4 Mar 2021 at 16:58.

jimclark
Old 25 Mar 2021, 17:34 (Ref:4042979)   #148
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Acura are plugging along on design of their LMDh

https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/a...-lmdh-program/

They didn't release their chassis partner, but said they are working closely with them. I can't imagine they aren't sticking with Oreca, but who knows.
Old 1 May 2021, 13:44 (Ref:4049004)   #149
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Is re-badging allowed in LMDh?
So, Audi and Porsche joining, could any other VAG brand join using the Audi/Porsche but re-badged? Or would they have to build a whole new car?
Old 1 May 2021, 16:22 (Ref:4049041)   #150
canaglia
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwood View Post
Is re-badging allowed in LMDh?
So, Audi and Porsche joining, could any other VAG brand join using the Audi/Porsche but re-badged? Or would they have to build a whole new car?

according to latest rumors porsche is going to develope a lmdh using the multimatic tub and powered by a porsche V8. The same car will be rebadged as audi and used both by porsche and audi for their work and customers WEC/IMSA programs (audi lmdh will officially debut at 2023 daytona 24h). There are rumors about lamborghini joining the VAG lmdh party...