Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 31 Jan 2020, 22:13 (Ref:3954870)   #1
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Real world experience

OK so I'm looking to change my current 2015, compact SUV with a 1.6 Diesel engine.

I'm borderline on distance travelled/economy of the diesel, not expecting my mileage to change too much.

I'm looking at something similar maybe (VAG Group), but all have the new generation small petrol engines or having to go into higher spec before the diesel becomes an option.

Hybrid is out, as no garage or off street parking to plug-in, and the nearest public plug-in is in a pay by the hour car park, about 7 miles from where I live.

So my question is, what are these engines really like in vehicle that in the past I'd associate in the past with a larger petrol or diesel motor.

Any experiences or advice on drivability (guts), economy, real world mileage rather than manufacturers brochure numbers etc would be appreciated.
Old 1 Feb 2020, 08:53 (Ref:3954966)   #2
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
OK so I'm looking to change my current 2015, compact SUV with a 1.6 Diesel engine.

I'm borderline on distance travelled/economy of the diesel, not expecting my mileage to change too much.

I'm looking at something similar maybe (VAG Group), but all have the new generation small petrol engines or having to go into higher spec before the diesel becomes an option.

Hybrid is out, as no garage or off street parking to plug-in, and the nearest public plug-in is in a pay by the hour car park, about 7 miles from where I live.

So my question is, what are these engines really like in vehicle that in the past I'd associate in the past with a larger petrol or diesel motor.

Any experiences or advice on drivability (guts), economy, real world mileage rather than manufacturers brochure numbers etc would be appreciated.
In my experience these new specification high compression, turbocharged, direct injection road car petrol engines drive very much like a diesel (which, apart from the fuel used and the way it's ignited, this is pretty much what they are). They have good low down power, don't seem to need (or want) to be revved, and have very narrow and specific power bands. Also, like all 'modern' engines they are also smothered in complicated components for emissions purposes, including a Petrol Particulate Filter in the exhaust. (I read some time ago that these 'super clean' petrol engines actually produce seven times as many particulates than an equivalent and supposedly dirty diesel, but I don't know how accurate that is). I also find that although cars with these smaller engines can produce the performance of the older and larger engine versions, you have to work them hard to get it, which will clobber the fuel economy (I've only driven them, never owned one). I suggest you try and have a drive in some and see how you find them yourself, it would have a cost, but you could even hire one for a couple of days because until you've lived with one, you won't really know if it'll suit you, a quick road test around the block wouldn't be enough.
Old 1 Feb 2020, 11:31 (Ref:3954988)   #3
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
General consensus in the motoring press seems to be that unless you are pounding up and down a motorway for a living, you are just as well off buying something with a 1.0L turbo triple that most manufacturers now offer.

But as Viv says, a lot depends on how the engine has to be driven, and how much weight you’re lugging around.....
Old 1 Feb 2020, 18:03 (Ref:3955043)   #4
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Second hand information. My old boss went from a 2L Diesel VW Passat to a Vauxhall SUV thing with a tiny petrol engine. He got better fuel mileage and it had just as much power. He loved it.