Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
What's the next race?
COTA this weekend, then on to a “Dream Track” the following week
Old 20 Apr 2020, 17:44 (Ref:3971887)   #27
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_cat View Post
COTA this weekend, then on to a “Dream Track” the following week
It's all just a "dream", no? Admittedly, and apparently, to many, not.

If not, why bother with all the expense of the semi-real thing? Just blow it out to straight up fantasy. 'Helluva lot less trouble.

jimclark
Old 20 Apr 2020, 18:07 (Ref:3971895)   #28
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimclark View Post
It's all just a "dream", no? Admittedly, and apparently, to many, not.

If not, why bother with all the expense of the semi-real thing? Just blow it out to straight up fantasy. 'Helluva lot less trouble.
It's a bit of fun, better than twiddling one's thumbs. I've done a bit of virtual racing on the rfactor platform, so I'm quite interested to see how this compares.
Old 22 Apr 2020, 12:40 (Ref:3972206)   #29
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Apparently Norris will be competing at this weekend's iRace at COTA.

https://racer.com/2020/04/22/mclaren...acing-at-cota/
Old 23 Apr 2020, 08:01 (Ref:3972335)   #30
AndreasDavour
Veteran

Sweden
AndreasDavour should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndreasDavour should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah, those are interesting numbers. Like I mentioned earlier, Will Power looks really good. I would not bet against him clinching this season title. But, never underestimate Pagenaud! His driving the last two races has been a model for all.

But, what happened to Roseqvist? This last race was not that great for him. If I were him I would be a tad bit worried about the future when there are more ovals coming in the physical world. I think he need a strong finish in the next race to not be out of this. That would sadden me.
Old 23 Apr 2020, 08:14 (Ref:3972338)   #31
el_cat
Racer

el_cat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chaz Mostert (of Aussie Supercars fame) is joining the field this weekend, as part of a collaboration that will see Alex Rossi compete in the Supercars esports race next week
Old 25 Apr 2020, 19:50 (Ref:3972866)   #32
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Congrats to Lando Norris and SPAM on their 1-2. Apart from the CGI crowd, I thought that was visually the most realistic of the races I've seen.
Old 26 Apr 2020, 04:45 (Ref:3972906)   #33
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
The best of the iRacing series going around.
Old 26 Apr 2020, 19:55 (Ref:3972997)   #34
AndreasDavour
Veteran

Sweden
AndreasDavour should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndreasDavour should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender View Post
The best of the iRacing series going around.

The IMSA SportsCar series is also really good.
Old 26 Apr 2020, 19:56 (Ref:3972998)   #35
AndreasDavour
Veteran

Sweden
Being a McLaren fan I'm quite happy for a 1-2, but my hometown boy Felix winning would have been even sweeter...

A really cool race this was.
Old 26 Apr 2020, 20:09 (Ref:3972999)   #36
AndreasDavour
Veteran

Sweden
These are my numbers after the latest race for the top ten. I'm probably off a few. I am unsure if Sage Karam would get any points at all in this latest race as he is marked as DNF, but I gave him 5.

Simon Pagenaud 176
Will Power 176
Scott McLaughlin 161
Felix Rosenqvist 129
Sage Karam 114
Santino Ferrucci 103
Graham Rahal 95
Alex Palou 93
Josef Newgarden 90
Old 27 Apr 2020, 06:33 (Ref:3973035)   #37
el_cat
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreasDavour View Post
These are my numbers after the latest race for the top ten. I'm probably off a few. I am unsure if Sage Karam would get any points at all in this latest race as he is marked as DNF, but I gave him 5.

Simon Pagenaud 176
Will Power 176
Scott McLaughlin 161
Felix Rosenqvist 129
Sage Karam 114
Santino Ferrucci 103
Graham Rahal 95
Alex Palou 93
Josef Newgarden 90
I’ve got both Rosenqvist and Palou having one more point each, by virtue of leading a lap at COTA.

It’s shaping up to be a great battle going into the final round. Assuming we are keeping the points system the same (and not adopting the Indy 500 points system - after all, the race won’t be 500 miles!) realistically it’s a three horse race (although Rosenqvist could snatch it but only with a freak set of circumstances).

I’ll be pretty disappointed if this is the final race - having never been a fan of esports I have really enjoyed these races, so kudos to Indycar for that.
Old 29 Apr 2020, 06:28 (Ref:3973506)   #38
AndreasDavour
Veteran

Sweden
I had Palou down for a point for leading a lap, but maybe I forgot a point from the last race when I know you corrected me for that. Rosenqvist I thought lead a lap, but the official results sheet does not mention him as a lap leader so I wonder if he didn't cross the line once before Norris overtook him.

This now looks like Pagenaud and Power will go for the win at Indy. I'd love for Felix to rush to the front, but he does not have great track record at ovals, sadly. The dark horse is McLaughlin and he would also be a very worthy winner.
Old 29 Apr 2020, 08:53 (Ref:3973526)   #39
el_cat
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreasDavour View Post
I had Palou down for a point for leading a lap, but maybe I forgot a point from the last race when I know you corrected me for that. Rosenqvist I thought lead a lap, but the official results sheet does not mention him as a lap leader so I wonder if he didn't cross the line once before Norris overtook him.

This now looks like Pagenaud and Power will go for the win at Indy. I'd love for Felix to rush to the front, but he does not have great track record at ovals, sadly. The dark horse is McLaughlin and he would also be a very worthy winner.
I just checked the footage back and I think you are right, it looks like when Palou pitted he got to the line before Rosenqvist, who then subsequently spun. It doesn’t change that Felix is mathematically still in the hunt but it would still be a miraculous turn of events for him to win!

I’m sure I saw a post on Facebook about another new entrant for this weekend, but can’t find it now. Any other news on who is racing?
Old 29 Apr 2020, 10:47 (Ref:3973549)   #40
Nikki Katz
Racer

Nikki Katz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any idea why this is the final round when we’re not about to start the season for real? Is it just a bit expensive getting everyone involved like this?
Old 29 Apr 2020, 12:30 (Ref:3973586)   #41
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki Katz View Post
Any idea why this is the final round when we’re not about to start the season for real? Is it just a bit expensive getting everyone involved like this?
I can only presume that when the iRacing Challenge was thought up, it was hoped the current crisis would be over relatively soon and the season proper would commence. I don't think expense has much to do with it.
Old 29 Apr 2020, 13:11 (Ref:3973605)   #42
el_cat
Racer

I certainly hope they continue with it
Old 30 Apr 2020, 17:44 (Ref:3973858)   #43
el_cat
Racer

Norris, Helio, RC Enerson, James Davison, Stefan Wilson and Scott Speed all on the grid this weekend. Looks like Wickens isn’t there though, which is a shame
Old 30 Apr 2020, 17:47 (Ref:3973861)   #44
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
The IndyCar iRacing Challenge finale will be The First Responder 175 presented by GMR at IMS, this Saturday at 2:30pm ET. Racer have the details, plus a link to the entry list.

https://racer.com/2020/04/30/indycar...racing-finale/

Pre-qualifying for Saturday’s iRacing Challenge finale took place on Wednesday. James Hinchcliffe, Kyle Busch, and Robert Wickens were among the high-profile drivers to miss out on earning a spot in the 33 car field. Spencer Pigot, Felipe Nasr, and Kyle Kaiser also failed to qualify.
Old 1 May 2020, 07:01 (Ref:3973913)   #45
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have really enjoyed all the iracing series, be good if the Indy Challenge added a few more races. Though I hear NASCAR is re-starting in mid-May, so maybe IndyCar is not to far away...
Old 2 May 2020, 14:55 (Ref:3974111)   #46
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Here's the grid for today's IndyCar iRacing Chalenge finale and Scott McLaughlin is on pole.

http://www.imscdn.com/indycar_media/...ualresults.pdf
Old 2 May 2020, 19:48 (Ref:3974165)   #47
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The ending of that race was GARBAGE. It was fun until that stuff, the animation destroyed any idea it was racing. Every car in that front group would have wrecked in that, rather have them post old races. It was decent watching the running but meh, no matter what the announcers want to keep saying.
Old 2 May 2020, 19:49 (Ref:3974166)   #48
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Congrats to Scott McLaughlin. Thrills and spills or what, with drivers taking each other out on the last lap.
Old 3 May 2020, 08:22 (Ref:3974211)   #49
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Yes Indy cars have been best of sims.Unfortunately a bit of silliness has crept into most of the sim racing.
Old 3 May 2020, 12:20 (Ref:3974243)   #50
AndreasDavour
Veteran

Sweden
These are my final numbers for the top ten. I'm probably off a few, as usual.

Like I suspected Will Power was there in the end, and who can ever count out Simon Pagenaud? I'm a bit sad that Rosenqvist still have not gotten a win, which could have propelled him up higher, but I guess it is good results with both Felix and Marcus in the top ten. That is not too shabby at all.

Scott McLaughlin 213
Will Power 195
Simon Pagenaud 182
Felix Rosenqvist 151
Santino Ferrucci 138
Sage Karam 120
Graham Rahal 113
Conor Daly 108
Marcus Ericsson 107

I felt the end of the race was a bit too messy. This series has kept it decently clean, and not joked about with silliness so the pile ups at Indy was sad. That being said, I wonder a bit about some of those crashes.

When Ferrucci went into Ericsson what was he thinking? Has he never heard of side draft? Also, what on earth went through Norris head when he came up on a wing clipped and wounded Pagenaud, and not slowed down or swerved, but just ran right into him?

But, congratulations to Scott McLaughlin for being there at the end. Very, very well done. iRacing Indycar champ 2020!