Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 10 Feb 2007, 13:14 (Ref:1838045)   #26
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
deadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbull
How about the race at Lydden that was stopped because a driver run himself over whilst attempting to put a small fire out and then the marshalls had to chase his car back down the hill!

Matt

http://www.matthewbull.co.uk
i watched this one unfold from the bottom of the hill. very scary!
And the car actually ended up in the tyres on the other side of the track.
Old 10 Feb 2007, 17:31 (Ref:1838184)   #27
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Haha that's great. It must have been a very exciting rest of the day if the crowd aren't fazed by that...
Old 10 Feb 2007, 20:26 (Ref:1838253)   #28
mick dickens
Racer

England
bollington
mick dickens should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what about the mallory track invasion in the 60/70s. Radio 1 road show sponsord and the bay city rollers, the fat clerk use to follow this group,were to make a show. helicopter lands on the island. the bay city roller fans, hundreds or 13 year old screaming girls, and the fat clerk thought it was thier heros and of they went accross the track runing, fat clerk strolling,while f1 cars are on circuit. yes the race was stopped. PS only joking about the fat clerk
Old 10 Feb 2007, 21:16 (Ref:1838283)   #29
Startline Ed
Racer

United Kingdom
Bristol
Startline Ed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick dickens
what about the mallory track invasion in the 60/70s. Radio 1 road show sponsord and the bay city rollers, the fat clerk use to follow this group,were to make a show. helicopter lands on the island. the bay city roller fans, hundreds or 13 year old screaming girls, and the fat clerk thought it was thier heros and of they went accross the track runing, fat clerk strolling,while f1 cars are on circuit. yes the race was stopped. PS only joking about the fat clerk
Wasn't there a lake invasion at that meeting too?
Old 10 Feb 2007, 21:54 (Ref:1838299)   #30
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We've been here before: http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...highlight=stop

Reasons there included: sheep, hogs and SNAKES on the track (not at the same time)
AND
The death of the King of the Belgians.

John
Old 11 Feb 2007, 09:00 (Ref:1838495)   #31
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spa, in the mid seventies, 1000 km race.

Still on the old long track. The cars (group 6 beasts) leave the pit for practice. All of the sudden they radio for a stoppage after the first cars are already near Blanchimont.
Everyone thinks about a big off, but no: the CotC was still chatting away to some people somewhere between Carrière and Blachimont. Parked on the track on the fastest part of the track.

Zolder, mid eighties.

A German race. The F3s leave the assembly area for their practice, about 15 seconds later the pre-DTM cars leave the pits for their practice.
Imagine the faces from Racecontrol and the drivers.
Old 11 Feb 2007, 12:07 (Ref:1838574)   #32
CombeMarshal
Veteran

England
Stroud, Glos
CombeMarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not a stoppage, but there was a safety car period at Sebring (I think) when a certain Marshal got stuck up side down in a tyre wall!

We also had to push the Doctors car from the front of the grid iat Combe nto the pits as someone had left the lights on and killed the battery (was an Auto so couldn't bump start it!)
Old 11 Feb 2007, 21:12 (Ref:1838884)   #33
mick dickens
Racer

England
bollington
mick dickens should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Startline Ed
Wasn't there a lake invasion at that meeting too?
yes i think you are correct the kids ran accross the track and into the lake. also a F3 race got stopped i thnk due to the fire truck running into the back of a car

Last edited by mick dickens; 11 Feb 2007 at 21:19.
Old 12 Feb 2007, 00:38 (Ref:1838941)   #34
Dutch chap
Veteran

European Union
Holland
Dutch chap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
German meeting @ Zandvoort (allways means trouble!) and sudden heavy rain. Next race (Formula Fords) is about to start. Fellow marshal (observer) @ post 5 requests to NOT start the race untill the track dries out, or at least give the drivers the chance to switch to rain tyres. German CofC denies the request. Observer persists (several times). So does the CofC (several times) and he then starts the race.

Post 5 shows a red flag.....

The first 7 cars slide off the track at post 5, the remaining pack eases off, the red flag "goes round" and all remaining drivers stop at the startline after the fist lap.

He got away with it....

No, I'm not saying that an observer should allways make his own decision. But how right he was.....
Old 12 Feb 2007, 08:46 (Ref:1839093)   #35
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick dickens
... a F3 race got stopped i thnk due to the fire truck running into the back of a car
I still have nightmares about seeing this happen....

But it was of course his fault for stalling on the line

edited to add: reason number 32 why I don't like chase vehicles.

Last edited by Piglet; 12 Feb 2007 at 08:49.
Old 12 Feb 2007, 11:26 (Ref:1839219)   #36
mazda59
Racer

Wales
macclesfield
mazda59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Last year at the TVR sprint along Blackpool prom , the only red flags were because of obstacles of the furry & feathered variety ( thankfully !!!)
Old 12 Feb 2007, 12:35 (Ref:1839274)   #37
rcarr
Veteran

Germany
Back to the homeland of Scotland!
rcarr has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDA
;

This used to happen alot at Knockhill in the 90s, the water would gather close to the hairpin and they would have to pump it out or stop the race meeting entirely because it was deemed to dangerous to race on.

I remember when the fog came down when we were out on our warm-up lap, we didn't even start, we had 2 laps behind the course car and they brought us back into the paddock because it was deemed unsafe because one marshal's post couldn't see the next 1.

It was annoying for me because I was all pumped up with adrenaline for the race but when I got out of the car, it was gone and I felt absolutely shattered and I still had to drive 360 miles south to get to uni for the next morning.
Old 12 Feb 2007, 20:22 (Ref:1839704)   #38
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
When a very big hairyplane lands on a circuit, how do they get it off again? Discuss.
Old 12 Feb 2007, 20:36 (Ref:1839725)   #39
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You ring up an aircraft retrieval firm.
Just Google for "Aircraft retrieval", but exclude 'UFO' and 'Roswell' or you'll be inundated with woowoo sites.

John
Old 16 Feb 2007, 22:37 (Ref:1843450)   #40
blueflagger
Veteran

blueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridblueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There was a street race in the US where the pace car hit the wall on the parade lap. Sorry, can't remember which race it was, only the laughter of workers volunteering to be the replacement driver.
Old 16 Feb 2007, 22:59 (Ref:1843457)   #41
The SpeCTator
Veteran

United Kingdom
South East - England
The SpeCTator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stoppages

Thruxton around 1975, practice halted when female parachutist landed in helicopter blades that were rotating. Sadly she perished as i think did the copter pilot.
Old 17 Feb 2007, 12:28 (Ref:1843662)   #42
Bryan Degerlund
Veteran

England
Dartford
Bryan Degerlund should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Near miss

Not quite a stoppage, at a Brands Hatch combined disdipline meeting, possibly CSMA, the karts were being led round on their pace lap, for a rolling start, by the kart CoC in his venerable Volvo Estate. At the bottom of Paddock, he manages to spin through 180 degs. in front of the pack. All the karts safely manage to pass either side and then slow up to let him re-pass and continue the pace lap as if mothing had happened.
Old 17 Feb 2007, 20:31 (Ref:1843934)   #43
Sticker Rub
Racer

United Kingdom
Peterborough
Sticker Rub should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The SpeCTator
Thruxton around 1975, practice halted when female parachutist landed in helicopter blades that were rotating. Sadly she perished as i think did the copter pilot.
The same thing happened about 2 weeks after I did my jump at Thruxton in 1985. Is this the same incident or has it happened more than once?

Coincidentally, the poor woman was a housemate of a rally marshal friend of mine who I met 11 years later.
Old 19 Feb 2007, 09:49 (Ref:1845330)   #44
Lola
Veteran

England
Nr Worcester
Lola should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
About 4 or 5 years ago a monoposto race or practice (cant remember which) was stopped because children were collecting a frisbee off the track at Lydden !!!!
Old 19 Feb 2007, 10:18 (Ref:1845356)   #45
devon kev
Racer

Guernsey
MELBOURNE DERBY
devon kev should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some year's ago a sandracing meeting in Guernsey had its last race stopped due to the tide engulfing the track
Old 19 Feb 2007, 17:27 (Ref:1845640)   #46
blueflagger
Veteran

blueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridblueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My favorite stoppage: We were running an ice race in Mankato, Minnesota. The weather was beautiful (for winter) and the whole town turned out to watch. They were parking the spectators cars on the frozen lake around the plowed track. The ice was 24-30 inches thick so, despite the warm (around freezing) temperatures, we weren't worried.

Wrong.

It turned out the lake was a popular fishing lake too. The combined weight of all the vehicles was pressing the ice down and water came up through fishing holes to flood the track. We stopped the race and had all the spectators move their vehicles to the local streets. With the weight gone, the ice popped back up to the top and the race was concluded successfully.
Old 19 Feb 2007, 18:43 (Ref:1845686)   #47
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
LOL Blueflagger...........thats ever so slightly worrying!....would have been interesting if the ice had cracked...not to mention extremely dangerous

most unusual one for me was at donington...i think an ice cream van got onto the circuit during a practice session. oh and then there was the helicopter crash at oulton. id just ran over to put out a fire on a VW Vento when 3 rescue units headed towards me....i was thinking it was a bit over the top for a small fire!
Old 19 Feb 2007, 20:09 (Ref:1845741)   #48
Aardvaark
Rookie

England
Timperley, Altrincham
Aardvaark should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mondello - 1998 I think - the 9 year old (honestly!) operating the gate which let traffic from the outside of the circuit onto the circuit to cross the track - wrong direction! - into the Paddock did this to let a milk float through - would not have been a problem but it was during qualifying for the 2CV 24 hour race! Red flag out very quickly but at least the milk was fresh!
Old 27 Feb 2007, 00:46 (Ref:1852438)   #49
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Another poster on this site was once forced to red flag a hillclimb due to a cow giving birth immediately adjacent to the Finnish Paddock.
Old 27 Feb 2007, 09:20 (Ref:1852638)   #50
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley
the Finnish Paddock.
The Finns have their own paddock?