Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > 10 Tenths Motorsport > Announcements and Feedback

Old 28 Apr 2010, 10:48 (Ref:2681053)   #1
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Co2 advert

Guys is there anyway I can turn this ad off?

It really slows up my machine and is actually detracting from my site usage as a result!

I will never click on ot anyway!!
Old 28 Apr 2010, 11:27 (Ref:2681069)   #2
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I assume if you do click on it it costs them money and helps to fund TTths.

If so I can't think of a better way to reclaim some of the CO2 subsidy cash.

However it is unreasonable of anyone to create a totally intrusive online advert, though that seems, to me, to be the intent of certain types of advert creators and their clients.

Maybe we could have a guide thread for the best way to help fund ttths through on site advertising - who pays most and can best afford to cough up - stuff like that. How many clicks to make the payment active?
Old 28 Apr 2010, 12:05 (Ref:2681083)   #3
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There is always the option to subscribe at £10 a year which then allows you to turn off all the adverts
Old 28 Apr 2010, 17:43 (Ref:2681262)   #4
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Guys is there anyway I can turn this ad off?
What is the actual advert for? I need something a little more than "Co2 advert" to try and track down a particular advert from our many advert sources

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
I assume if you do click on it it costs them money and helps to fund TTths.
Not necessarily, see my next point.

Quote:
Maybe we could have a guide thread for the best way to help fund ttths through on site advertising - who pays most and can best afford to cough up - stuff like that. How many clicks to make the payment active?
Advertising on Tenths comes in to three categories, Pay Per Display, Pay Per Click & Monthly. Pay Per Display is one where we get paid a small amount each time the advert is displayed. Pay Per Click, self explanatory really. Monthly are adverts where we are paid a fixed fee per month to display the advert in our rotation. Revenues are based around normal user behaviour and artificially inflated numbers of clicks can result in non-payment. Basically advertisers know roughly how many clicks they should get per 1,000 displays and if we show significant upward deviation then we can get penalties. So only click on adverts that are of interest to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
There is always the option to subscribe at £10 a year which then allows you to turn off all the adverts
Indeed, subscriptions works out about 21p a week which we feel is excellent value. You can even try it for 2 weeks for £1!
Old 28 Apr 2010, 20:40 (Ref:2681347)   #5
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnetON View Post
What is the actual advert for? I need something a little more than "Co2 advert" to try and track down a particular advert from our many advert sources

Not necessarily, see my next point.

Advertising on Tenths comes in to three categories, Pay Per Display, Pay Per Click & Monthly. Pay Per Display is one where we get paid a small amount each time the advert is displayed. Pay Per Click, self explanatory really. Monthly are adverts where we are paid a fixed fee per month to display the advert in our rotation. Revenues are based around normal user behaviour and artificially inflated numbers of clicks can result in non-payment. Basically advertisers know roughly how many clicks they should get per 1,000 displays and if we show significant upward deviation then we can get penalties. So only click on adverts that are of interest to you.

Indeed, subscriptions works out about 21p a week which we feel is excellent value. You can even try it for 2 weeks for £1!
I'm guessing it is the Fiat advert.

MAGNETON - excellent information, thanks. I was not aware of the penalties scenario. Do you get a choice about which ads to accept? Is there something attractive about the payments for the ones based on 'normal' user behaviour? (Can motor sport people be fiscally productive in that sort of categorisation? :-)) )

Can you appeal against an advertiser that puts out a really annoying ad but makes it difficult to know who they are or what they are really about - like the FIAT ad - unless you watch for ages or click on the thing, but may then refuse to cough up id they can suggest that too many people have clicked?

Just a thought.
Old 28 Apr 2010, 21:02 (Ref:2681358)   #6
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It ios the FIAT one yes

Really does mess up my machine!! I totally understand the situaiton with web adverts, as I also run the odd site myself, but this ad is crazy! Takes up most of my bandwidth when you click on the site!!
Old 28 Apr 2010, 21:51 (Ref:2681384)   #7
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Do you get a choice about which ads to accept?
We can set categories of advert to refuse. We currently refuse:
AdultAlcohol
DatingGambling
SweepstakesPolitical
Religious"Suggestive"
TobaccoViolence
FlashingWarning
Audio 
Even though some of these can be considerably higher earners. We also filter pop-up and pop-under adverts for logged in users.

Quote:
Can you appeal against an advertiser that puts out a really annoying ad but makes it difficult to know who they are or what they are really about - like the FIAT ad - unless you watch for ages or click on the thing, but may then refuse to cough up id they can suggest that too many people have clicked?
We can filter specific advertisers if necessary.

Quote:
Really does mess up my machine!! I totally understand the situaiton with web adverts, as I also run the odd site myself, but this ad is crazy! Takes up most of my bandwidth when you click on the site!!
I'll have a look at it and see if there's anything that can be done, however, if it's a high paying advert then obviously I have difficult decision to make. I have to admit that 90% of the time I turn adverts off.
Old 29 Apr 2010, 06:44 (Ref:2681476)   #8
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Hehe you should put up a few adults ones!! But then again some fo them have actual movie clips in! Imagine the uproar from the MSA masses lol,

I dont mind political, or tobacco to be fair. But this one just seems to slow me old girl down a bit!

Thanks for the replies, makes interesting reading.
Old 29 Apr 2010, 06:55 (Ref:2681481)   #9
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
Quote:
Hehe you should put up a few adults ones!!

I dont mind political, or tobacco to be fair.
We've always aimed Tenths as being suitable for a family audience plus it would also violate our contract with Google as they don't allow their adverts to be shown on sites with certain types of content and that includes types of advert.

I suppose I should have turned the political ones on for the duration of the UK elections though.
Old 29 Apr 2010, 10:32 (Ref:2681565)   #10
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
I suppose I should have turned the political ones on for the duration of the UK elections though.
Er, nope.
Old 29 Apr 2010, 16:05 (Ref:2681741)   #11
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
After reading this i've realised, it really slows my browser down. I always thought it was another site i'd been on at the time but it is actually just this co2 advert

Selby
Old 29 Apr 2010, 17:30 (Ref:2681776)   #12
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Is tobacco advertising on websites actually legal within EU members?
Old 30 Apr 2010, 16:48 (Ref:2682272)   #13
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm having problems with this C02 advert as well, everytime i type, it stops typing because the ad is taking up all my bandwidth, so it takes sodding ages to type a response to anything on ten tenths at the moment.
Old 16 May 2010, 21:50 (Ref:2692038)   #14
dyewat808
Veteran

United Kingdom
dyewat808 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Hehe, advertising in itself. Ah, the irony.

Quote:
We've always aimed Tenths as being suitable for a family audience plus it would also violate our contract with Google as they don't allow their adverts to be shown on sites with certain types of content and that includes types of advert.
You have a contract with Google? Jeeze, this site seems to get bigger and more prestigious the more I find out about it!
Old 16 May 2010, 22:11 (Ref:2692052)   #15
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyewat808 View Post
Quote:
Indeed, subscriptions[/URL] works out about 21p a week which we feel is excellent value. You can even try it[/URL] for 2 weeks for £1!
Hehe, advertising in itself. Ah, the irony.
I feel I'm just pointing out what excellent value a subscription is to the the people that may not have noticed the adverts for it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyewat808 View Post
You have a contract with Google? Jeeze, this site seems to get bigger and more prestigious the more I find out about it!
Any website that uses Google Adsense adverts has a contract with Google and restrictions over the kind of material they can display/promote, restrictions on the maximum number of advert blocks per page, and a few other things.